Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Let's Do Something Great For RPM 2008

Let's Do Something Great For RPM 2008

DJ Rkod
permalink   Tue, Jan 29, 2008 @ 11:36 PM
The Pitch

The CCMixter Collective page at RPMChallenge.com

I’ve been looking into putting an entry into this year’s RPM challenge, a challenge where bands or artists write and record an entire album during the month of February only.

Now, I’ve released a few albums and I know I could scrape together some material if I wanted to, but I’d rather do something different. I’d like to put out an album with as many people as I can, put it all together in my music software and produce the best album ever (or maybe just the closest we can get.)

I’m sure there are some people here who’d love to help out. I’m specifically looking for singers, instrumentalists and lyricists. Let’s show the world how awesome CCMixter is.

How Can You Help?

E-Mail me, or post in this thread. I need audio files of voices, instruments, field recordings, whatever. They must be in lossless (.wav, .aif or .flac) format, as I’m going to be mailing out a CD to the RPM Challenge. If you’re a lyricist or songwriter, E-Mail me and I’ll get put your chords or words to good use. If you have small files, upload them here. If you have larger files, there are plenty of free file hosts out there and my inbox has about 6Gb of space free.

I can be reached in this thread or at [dorkincorporated]@[gmail.com]. (Remove brackets to make address usable.)

February is now over, and the album has been sent to the RPM Challenge. Thank you, everybody, for participating in this fascinating and rewarding endeavor. If you want to hear the album, you don’t have to wait for it to show up on the RPM site. You can find it in my playlists section or if you would prefer, you can download CD quality FLAC files and artwork at The Internet Archive.
narva9
permalink   Wed, Jan 30, 2008 @ 10:06 AM
Sounds like fun. I’d love to help. I’m more of a songwriter than a singer but If you don’t mind a really simple delivery I can do both. My preference is for someone else to sing…it’ll be cooler that way!

Please let me know what kind of words/tunes you’re looking for. I’ve got a lot of stuff tucked away and always pleased to write to spec if you’ve got something specific in mind.

Cheers,
narva9 :)
DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Jan 30, 2008 @ 11:12 PM
That’s great narva! I want to make a glitchy melodic downtempo/trip-hop album for this little project. Mood should be melancholy but not depressing. Anywhere between 60 and 100 BPM will work.
duckett
permalink   Thu, Jan 31, 2008 @ 7:20 PM
Well, as you may or may not have noticed, I kinda stick my nose into just about everything… if you want lyrics, samples, or whatever you may care for, I’ve probably got something for you to play with… feel free to check out my remixes, pellas, samples, etc. and get back to me as to what you might find useful- or if you want me to create something new, as opposed to a WAV version of something pre-existing, let me know the category of contribution you’d think best from me; I read your reply to narva9, so at least I have an idea of what you’re after. Fun idea- thanks for posting this!
DJ Rkod
permalink   Fri, Feb 1, 2008 @ 9:59 AM
OK then. I’ve uploaded some samples and a demo mix to a new collaboration project. The songs needs a vocal track and I’m hoping to replace as many of the instruments as possible with real performances. Note that since these files are part of a collaboration, only project members will be able to see them.
Subliminal
permalink   Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 12:33 AM
I have a chord progression lying around that was written for a collaboration project with a couple of friends. The project was abandoned, but I still want to use the chords for a song (I have actually already started with it). However, maybe it’s something you could use also. I believe that it fits the description of the music you want to make. It’s nothing fancy, but let me know, should you be interested.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 12:56 AM
Subliminal, it will be a pleasure working with you. I’ve added you to the project, and you can upload stuff to it whenever you feel like.

permalink   Subliminal Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 9:01 AM
When I upload the midi file it is filed under your song according to my Your Page, but I don’t see it on the project page. It’s probably not meant to be filed under your song anyway. What’s the best way to proceed?

permalink   Subliminal Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 9:42 AM
I have figured it out. Let me know what you think and what other contributions from me you are looking for.
victor
permalink   Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 8:25 PM
last time I looked the files in the project were hidden/unpublished. since this is so wide open you might want to consider publishing them so everybody can see/download before joining the project.

permalink   DJ Rkod Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 9:18 PM
*Gong sounds*

And there they are.

permalink   Subliminal Sat, Feb 2, 2008 @ 11:33 PM
And I was thinking I was going mad, because I had the distinct impression that I had unpublished the midi file, because that is the default setting when uploading from the project page. Sorry for that.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Mon, Feb 4, 2008 @ 12:19 AM
OK, I think I’m going completely insane here. I’m receiving E-Mails about files being added to the project, and I’m looking at the list right now and I don’t see them. Fourstones? I noticed you added something. Can you explain to me what’s going on here?

permalink   Subliminal Mon, Feb 4, 2008 @ 8:45 AM
I have got an e-mail too. I have been adding and removing files, because they ended up as samples used in your songs in stead of independent samples for the project in general. My apologies if I am the cause of the e-mails sent.

What’s the best way to proceed if I want to upload a song idea plus some additional files to the project, especially when I haven’t used any samples from ccMixter?

permalink   DJ Rkod Mon, Feb 4, 2008 @ 11:11 AM
What you should do is upload the sample using the box directly beneath all the other samples. Don’t worry if it shows up as a sample used in the demo song. The system is designed to do that. I can always remove it from the attribution list manually.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Tue, Feb 5, 2008 @ 4:28 AM
Duckett, how well do you play bass and guitar? Well enough to follow a MIDI file?

permalink   duckett Mon, Feb 11, 2008 @ 2:56 AM
Sorry about the delay in responding, I was Internetless for little while. As far as my instrumental skills, I’m more of a bassist than a guitarist, but I can follow a midi file if it’s just simple lead lines, or standard chord progressions. The Achilles heel for me is my lack of a decent home-recording set-up for bass, and with the concern for decent sound that you undoubtedly have, I’m not sure anything I could record would be usable, unless you specifically wanted the sound of a Jazz fretless turned to squashed mud (just listen to http://ccmixter.org/media/f... and you’ll understand what I mean). If you wanted guitar, I could try, but I’m sure others could do better. Not putting myself down, just trying to be realistic- if you think I could help, by all means, let me know.

permalink   DJ Rkod Mon, Feb 11, 2008 @ 7:05 PM
duckett, that is a fine bassline and you’re doing great. The only problem is that I had to do some EQing to keep the bassier frequencies from conflicting with the kick — not a big deal, but I wanted to explain why my version of the loop will sound a little different when I upload it. ;)

Good recording quality is not necessarily what I’m looking for here. You’ve probably noticed that I’ve been adding crackly vinyl effects to the demos I’ve been uploading. That’s because I want a kind of ‘analog versus digital’ sound to these. So a little noise in the signal is not going to kill me or the mix.
Subliminal
permalink   Tue, Feb 5, 2008 @ 11:58 AM
I have added an mp3 file of the intro to Blind Date, just to give you guys an impression of the original idea that goes with the previously uploaded chords.
Subliminal
permalink   Wed, Feb 6, 2008 @ 12:12 PM
I have added another old chord progression (The Downhill Climb). This one was inspired by the Kontakt Slow Arp preset, which you can hear in the FLAC file. I have started working on this one myself, but feel free to use it for this project if it is of any use to you.

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 6, 2008 @ 2:15 PM
feel free to use the internal project’s thread for inner-project disucssion ;)

(mix sounds great btw)

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Feb 7, 2008 @ 11:46 AM
Oops. Sorry about that.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Feb 6, 2008 @ 12:47 PM
I’ve just uploaded another sample pack and demo created with some lyrics narva9 sent me in mind. I’m looking to replace the bass and piano with genuine recordings. Duckett?

permalink   shimoda Wed, Feb 20, 2008 @ 5:28 PM
Krod, I’m not part of this project, but just joined cc mixter and am having my own issues with rpm but would love to help out if I could. You mentioned bass tracks a couple of weeks ago, is this still a need? I can do upright or electric, depending on the need, if there is one.

permalink   DJ Rkod Wed, Feb 20, 2008 @ 8:30 PM
You’re part of the project now, (assuming you want to) there is a need and thank you for your contribution.

These are all the bass MIDI files that I’ve uploaded so far. An upright bass would probably work best for the ones labeled Song 1, while an electric would go well with the ones labeled Song 2, I think.

You can hear what the original (synthesized) bass sounds are like on the project page, either mixed in the two demos or separated in the sample packs.

permalink   shimoda Fri, Feb 22, 2008 @ 8:16 PM
YTou mentioned hearing things in the demo, but I don’t see demos for song 1 and 2. I was also curious, you mentioned acoustic for 1 and electric for 2. The bass I hear on the synth is pretty hefty on the synth, is that just what you had? Ie. do you want clean bass tracks to modify or synthy but real bass? I do have a synth-wah pedal. I’ll try to hook up and record the parts quickly tomorrow. Will I need to be added as a collaborator to upload? Also, are there any other odd needs?

permalink   DJ Rkod Sat, Feb 23, 2008 @ 1:32 AM
Quote: shimodaYTou mentioned hearing things in the demo, but I don’t see demos for song 1 and 2.

Song 1 = “ …Falling And Flying…

Song 2 = “ When I Close My Eyes

Quote: shimodaI was also curious, you mentioned acoustic for 1 and electric for 2. The bass I hear on the synth is pretty hefty on the synth, is that just what you had? Ie. do you want clean bass tracks to modify or synthy but real bass?

Clean is fine. I can always process it in the production phase.

Quote: shimodaWill I need to be added as a collaborator to upload? Also, are there any other odd needs?

Yes, I need to add you to the project in order for you to upload. Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty doing this. This may be a result of you not having uploaded anything. Try putting up one of the parts under your own name and I’ll see if adding you works then.

permalink   shimoda Sat, Feb 23, 2008 @ 6:51 PM
I uploaded some files for when I close my eyes. Probably will need to redo, but thought I’d see what you thought. I added an arco(bowed) idea as well, these are on the upright but I can drop some electric lines too.)

permalink   DJ Rkod Sat, Feb 23, 2008 @ 8:34 PM
Yeah, I can work with the verse bass but the chorus is all over the place.

permalink   shimoda Sat, Feb 23, 2008 @ 9:58 PM
Quote: DJ RkodYeah, I can work with the verse bass but the chorus is all over the place.Sorry about that. I had just listened to the demo and not yet looked into the separate files. Played the verse by ear. I can redo it too or do it on electric if you want or need. I’ll get up Falling tomorrow. Also, depending on what you have lyrics for, and what vocal quality (stylistically) you’re looking for, my lovely wife might be able to swing the vocals for something. Let me know if you want redos of the bass verse for when i close. I’ll get the chorus where you want it.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Sun, Feb 17, 2008 @ 4:58 PM
OK, since we’re not really making a lot of progress here and the deadline draws ever-closer, I thought I’d put out a reminder of what remains to be done.

Duckett, can you do the bass parts for the verses and bridge of Falling/Flying? I cleaned up the sample you sent me but I’d really rather not upload a revised version of the pack until I have the other parts.

Subliminal, can you FLAC the Blind Date intro elements and upload them? That acoustic guitar sounds very nice.

Also, to any spectators, we are still looking for more people and anything you can do to help would be vastly appreciated.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Feb 20, 2008 @ 12:42 PM
Victor, would it be too much to ask for you to give us a link on the front page? Narva9 has a chest cold and can’t sing (!) and we have about nine days left to find a new vocalist.

permalink   G_Storm Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 1:06 AM
Quote: DJ RkodVictor, would it be too much to ask for you to give us a link on the front page? Narva9 has a chest cold and can’t sing (!) and we have about nine days left to find a new vocalist.

Can I suggest you become members of the Sellaband forums, and post a message to any of the vocalists on there? www.sellaband.com .
There’s LOTS of talented singers there who I`m sure would love to be involved. I’ll see if my wife can do something too but she’s pretty busy atm.
The artists on SAB have gotten together before to do recordings and gigs, so this may happen in time if you post there quickly…. do it on the ‘about the music’ page, and I`ll make sure lot’s of people reply to keep the topic up.

permalink   DJ Rkod Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 3:47 PM
I am very wary around Sellaband.

permalink   G_Storm Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 5:36 PM
Quote: DJ RkodI am very wary around Sellaband.

Why’s that?

permalink   DJ Rkod Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 6:37 PM
Quote: G_StormWhy’s that?

I feel the site is incompatible with the ideas and ideals of the Creative Commons.

permalink   G_Storm Sun, Feb 24, 2008 @ 9:25 PM
Well to be fair it’s not about CC there is it? It’s a record label controlled by the fans.

permalink   spinmeister Sun, Feb 24, 2008 @ 11:51 PM
Here’s my interpretation of it (I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV): It’s financed by the fans and then Sellaband gets the exclusive right to publishing (that is the song writing rights). It does share the proceeds of such publishing with the song writer(s) and producer(s), but Sellaband has exclusive control over the licensing of the fan financed songs. i.e. the songwriter has to license the song from Sellaband if they want to sell recordings of it or re-record it some day. According to my intepretation of the publishing contract, only Sellaband (and NOT the song writer) can license the use of the songs in remakes, remixes and other derived works; one may be able to walk from the recording part of the Sellaband deal, but not from the publishing (song writing copyrights) part of the deal.

I didn’t find any evidence that the fans see a penny from publishing or that they are even told about the presence of a publishing deal or its commercial implications. I do wonder, if the publishing deal is buried deep in the website quite deliberately (would you find the link easily, if not being told about it?). Why is such a commercially significant part of the deal as the publishing not mentioned on the How it works page?

But maybe I shouldn’t be surprised given the
background of two of the founders with a large company with a history of hiding stuff.

permalink   G_Storm Sun, Mar 9, 2008 @ 6:03 PM
Everyone knows about the publishing side of things, believe me. It’s been discussed on the forum many times. It’s also in writing on the T&C page which is linked from the ‘how it works’ page… so it’s not hidden (but I understand your point, maybe it should also be on the ‘how it works’ page too).

Personally I think that the investors should share 5% of the publishing, but that’s really up to Sellaband. Maybe they will do that one day. They have alot of costs to cover (bandwidth, staff, promotion, premises etc).

In the meantime investors still get revenue from cd sales/mp3 sales/ad revenue, and the limited edition cd’s (which they can sell as well if they want), which more than covers their $10 investment in an artist. A limited edition cd in a store could easily cost twice as much.

Artists can help in licensing their material…. Sellaband don’t mind. And of course the artist has a say as to where the music is licensed. I have first-hand experience that even when the SAB crew don’t agree with the artist, they still do their best for the artist and respect the artist’s wishes. It really is all controlled by the artist… no strong-arm tactics or dodgy behaviour like Sony etc (which is part of the reason Johan etc left Sony and EMI).

Just speaking from the artists’ perspective, they get a much better deal at SAB than at any other record label. Even established acts struggle to get a 50/50 publishing deal, whereas SAB gives 60% to unknown artists.

Nothings ever perfect for everyone of course, and SAB is getting better all the time (they lack alot of promotional power for instance, but this is being worked on as I speak). I may not agree with everything and all of what they do, but overall they are a very good opportunity for artists, and are trying to be a revolution in music… artists picked by fans.

Grab your free mp3’s of Mandyleigh btw

permalink   G_Storm Sun, Mar 9, 2008 @ 6:06 PM
Oh, and SAB do allow artists to do CC stuff… Mandyleigh wanted to have her vocals out there for CC, and SAB were fine with that. As long as no-one goes and sells the songs they do with her vox that’s cool, feel free to have fun… that’s what CC is all about after all.

Anyway, the whole point of this min-thread was to help the dude find vocalists who would probably be excited to help on the project. There are alot of unsigned singers on SAB, and my suggestion was to get in touch with them via the forum and see who was interested. I don’t know anywhere else it would be so easy to contact singers who would love to help. Nothing to do with SAB, they just host the webspace where the singers hang out.

permalink   teru Sun, Mar 9, 2008 @ 10:16 PM
Cool. I actually emailed SAB a bunch of times without any response. Good to know they’re OK with you being remixed here.
Tapsa
permalink   Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 11:34 AM
Hey…..Any use for guitar tracks?

permalink   DJ Rkod Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 4:05 PM
Yes. Do you think you can play along with this MIDI file?

permalink   Tapsa Fri, Feb 22, 2008 @ 9:36 AM
heh…Is that all, you need? I was hoping to play over rough mix with vocals, or something, so i could play with correct feel, and sound.
Anyway, im willing to help, just tell me, what you need. bit more details please :)
DJ Rkod
permalink   Thu, Feb 21, 2008 @ 8:01 PM
Since the vocalists posting here are just joining us, I thought I’d post the general specifications to what we’re doing here.

BPM between 60 and 100, melancholy/reflective mood, downtempo style. There are currently three demos on the project page, all of which need vocal tracks.

Here are links to the MP3 demos:

The Only Difference Between Falling And Flying Is Your State Of Mind
When I Close My Eyes” ( Lyrics)
Blind Date

Only one of these currently has lyrics. They were written by narva9 but never recorded.

In other news, I’ve uploaded a new demo and samples of a song based around “Blind Date” by Subliminal. More multitracks and demos on the way.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Mon, Feb 25, 2008 @ 1:27 AM
OK, quick progress update for those of you keeping score at home:

We got the vocalist. Two, in fact. Two very fine and talented voices. There are currently only two unfinished songs (out of a total of five.) Those two are:

Fire in the Glass Asylum” (Got the vocal for this one.)
and
Mindnight

Both of these need vocal tracks and “Mindnight” could use a piano player too. And because I write very simple chords, if you have a piano and a mic you can probably play it. :P

There are also three finished mixes that are ready for the CD, for those of you who are just listening in:

Blind Date
The Only Difference Between Falling And Flying Is Your State Of Mind
When I Close My Eyes” (Sorry Hektor, you posted just as I was uploading this. I’ll see if I can put together an alternate mix.)
DJ Rkod
permalink   Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 3:47 AM
All of the songs are now done, I’ve sequenced the album and I’m going to mail it off very soon.

Unfortunately, I am prevented from uploading the last two tracks at the moment because I am “not authorized to submit this type of file at this time, most likely because you have met the quota for this type of submission.”

This is a highly inconvenient time for this to happen.

permalink   victor Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 4:04 AM
try it now

permalink   DJ Rkod Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 4:56 AM
My hero. :)
DJ Rkod
permalink   Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 8:17 AM
OK, all the finished mixes are uploaded. Yay.

In case you want the ‘full experience,’ here’s the order in which you should listen to them: (you can also find this in my playlists section)

01. When I Close My Eyes
02. Midnight Wolf
03. The Only Difference Between Falling And Flying Is Your State Of Mind
04. Blind Date
05. Fire in the Glass Asylum

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 1:27 PM
I am listening to the whole thing right now. Great stuff! It has been an honour being a part of this, however tiny my contribution. I was amazed by the way my intro turned into a full song, resulting in something I never could have created myself. Thanks to everyone involved in this collective and a special thanks to DJ Rkod for making it happen.

permalink   duckett Thu, Feb 28, 2008 @ 5:03 PM
Quote: SubliminalGreat stuff! It has been an honour being a part of this, however tiny my contribution.
Uh, yeah! What he said- goes for me as well…
DJ Rkod
permalink   Mon, Mar 3, 2008 @ 1:39 AM
Short but sweet: this album is now available losslessly and with cover artwork at the Internet Archive.

Credits are on the front insert and also in the ATTRIBUTION text file.