Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Constellations of Music Secret Mixter

Constellations of Music Secret Mixter

Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Oct 2, 2016 @ 3:22 PM
ANNOUNCING SECRET MIXTER & NEW UPLOAD POLICY

It’s ccMixter’s 12th Birthday and you are invited to celebrate the best way we all know how: REMIXING! Sign-up for the Constellations of Music Secret Mixter to get the party started.

Want to wish ccMixter a very Happy Birthday (and many mooooore)? Give ccM a present HERE.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

As we head into our 12th year of operation, we are analyzing the way the site currently functions. The cost of storage and bandwidth to keep ccMixter running continues to rise. This has led us to the adoption of a new policy: One Upload Per Week.

Our hope is that this limitation will not only save us money, but will also give remixers the opportunity to go deeper with a single mix. It will give each member a chance for their latest mix to be featured longer at the top of the Remix Listing feed ( http://ccmixter.org/view/media/remix/latest), and highlight a broader group of musicians. While this will decrease the quantity of remixes, we are hoping it will increase the quality. As always, please share your thoughts below.

———————————————————————————————

Sign-up for the Constellations of Music Secret Mixter today.

Subliminal
permalink   Sun, Oct 2, 2016 @ 10:26 PM
It’s a shame that you have to put limitations on the number of uploads, however valid the reasons are. But you make some good points about the possible consequences of that decision.

Let me volunteer to ask the obligatory stupid question. ;-) I am guessing that one upload per week means one remix, sample (pack) or pella, and not one file?

permalink   victor Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 8:48 AM
It is a shame and last resort given the circumstances but here we are.

For now it’s one ‘upload’ which is really a project. You can add files through manage files - but if folks start abusing that then we’ll have to throttle that too.

permalink   Subliminal Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 10:02 AM
Thanks for the extra info. I already thought / hoped so, but I wanted to be sure.
Ivan Chew
permalink   Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 9:38 AM
It sounds fair to me, considering ccM’s upload/hosting/usage model. Besides, one upload (i.e. one project) per week works out to be four uploads a month, or 48 projects a year (52 projects if going by number of weeks in a year). And you’re not limiting uploaders to one file project (in ref to Victor/ fourstones’ clarifications).

And I like how it’s based on an honour system/self-policing.

Suggestion: if I wish to share my CC licensed stems that I’ve hosted elsewhere, say archive.org or SoundCloud, perhaps I could have it listed on ccM too under my profile. To avoid ccM just becoming a redirectional or referral site, you could set a condition where for every 20 links I post, I should attempt to share a remix at ccM or if others can show they’ve posted remixes back to ccM, using my CC licensed stems hosted elsewhere. I know this makes things a bit more complex so please critique away. My point is that there’s still a way for people to adhere to the spirit of ccM and not feel limited by the one upload per week cap.

permalink   victor Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 9:42 AM
Thanks Ivan - yes your proposal does seem complicated esp when, as you say, you can upload up to 52 projects a year right here.

permalink   Ivan Chew Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 9:59 AM
Oops, 52 projects a year and not 48 as I wrote. And with 52 projects worth of uploads, that’s plenty. Best to keep it simple and focused on ccM.

Questions:
- was a Per Year limit considered (rather than Per Week)?

- if say I’d reached my Per Week (or Per Year) limit, would it be OK if I start removing stems to clear space (even if the stems have been remixed)? I suppose the answer should be a “Yes but let’s exercise discretion and common sense”.

permalink   Subliminal Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 10:08 AM
But wouldn’t it be a shame to remove stems that other people might want to use inspired by an already existing remix of those stems?

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 10:08 AM
Removing stems would not be in the spirit of the site, as the remix tree is an integral aspect of the sharing of source material. It seems to me that would be considered “gaming” the process.

permalink   Ivan Chew Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 10:14 AM
@subliminal & @snowflake: Got it. Again, sounds fair that stems used by others for their remixes shouldn’t be removed (though I’ve seen that happen, thankfully rarely, before the upload limit was introduced).

If the stems have not been remixed (at least not in ccM), I presume it’s OK to remove? Cos it reduces your bandwidth loading and improves quality of stems. Of cos you’ll have to trust that the removal was for quality purposes and not gaming the limit.

permalink   urmymuse Wed, Oct 5, 2016 @ 3:07 PM
Hi Ivan

If memory serves when I first started on ccmixter I had posted a sample of piano music, not my first contribution, but nearly. It got no recommends or comments initially. Embarrassed I removed it. Shortly thereafter you posted a remix with it in and a comment that it had seemed to be removed. Embarrassed again I put it back. Lesson of this story. Please leave your excellent library of stems intact :)

PS ta for all your support when I started at ccmixter. Your encouragement really helped me keep at it.

permalink   Ivan Chew Mon, Oct 31, 2016 @ 7:34 AM
Wow. I’d forgotten about that! And I certainly wasn’t aware of that back story! I’d like to think I’m merely paying it back, for the same level of encouragement I received from others here at ccM.

permalink   victor Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 12:12 PM
Removing samples older than 7 days ago has no effect on the quota and would have a nominal affect on our bandwidth usage.

permalink   victor Wed, Oct 12, 2016 @ 5:38 AM
They’re a scam
Speck
permalink   Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 12:43 PM
Kinda buried the headline there. Doesn’t this big a change warrant a red bordered box?

I don’t think the rationalizing (decrease the quantity = increase the quality) was necessary (or true). If you gotta cut costs you gotta cut costs, I think we can all understand and accept that.

I could certainly delete a couple hundred (or more) of my remixes if that’ll help. Just say the word. (I do enjoy a good culling now and then.)

permalink   Speck Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 12:49 PM
Hmm, now I’m seeing “Removing samples older than 7 days ago has no effect on the quota and would have a nominal affect on our bandwidth usage.” Is that also true of mixes? I’m not all that computer savvy, I suppose there’s a difference between bandwidth and storage, cost and affect-wise?

permalink   victor Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 2:11 PM
Speaking for myself (not any org) and TOTALLY subjectively I have made a very unscientific but strong correlation between quantity and lesser quality so I, for one, do not think it’s a rationale in the slightest.

Culling a few 100 remixes would definitely help on the storage end of things.

At the highest level bandwidth costs more than storage and streaming is >95% as opposed to downloading and all of it favors newer stuff (plus grapes and hisboyelroy lol) so removing old samples in ZIP files doesn’t do much for the site’s bandwidth costs.

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Oct 5, 2016 @ 9:44 AM
Hey Speck,

Following your suggestion, I’ve opened up a new forum post dedicated to this topic. Please feel free to comment.

http://ccmixter.org/thread/...

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Oct 3, 2016 @ 7:54 PM
Good point. We will highlight the new policy once we’re through the Secret Mixter. One thing we’ve noticed is more people pay attention to Secret Mixter sign-ups than forum posts so we thought more people may see it this way. I’ve modified the post to hopefully give it more attention. Thanks for your input and patience. We’ll give this a try and see what kind of difference it makes.
urmymuse
permalink   Wed, Oct 5, 2016 @ 1:00 PM
Happy Birthday CCmixter!

I dream of having the time to do one upload a week :)

I support this change

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Oct 5, 2016 @ 1:48 PM
We would love to hear more from you!! :)

permalink   urmymuse Wed, Oct 5, 2016 @ 2:39 PM
So would I :) he he. I am looking at my guitars, the strings are rusty!!!

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Oct 6, 2016 @ 12:40 PM
All they need is your fingers!
Speck
permalink   Sun, Oct 16, 2016 @ 12:23 PM
My secret mixter email notification says “Remember, due to the NEW UPLOAD POLICY, do not upload anything past Friday, October 21, until Secret Mixter upload day.” Is this correct and if so, why isn’t it Sunday the 23rd which would be one week before upload day?

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Oct 17, 2016 @ 1:55 PM
We are still working out the bugs of the new upload policy, and have received feedback from some mixters that it seemed 8 days needed to pass before they could upload again. In order to avoid a time-consuming, administrative nightmare on upload day, we’re suggesting everyone errs on the side of caution, thus the wording in the email.

permalink   Speck Tue, Oct 18, 2016 @ 4:13 AM
Oh.
Hey, while you’re working on it is it possible to make it so that the one week is only day sensitive, not time sensitive. That is to say for instance my day is Sunday, it would be nice to be able to upload any time after midnight Saturday instead of only after the time of day I uploaded last week, which will eventually make my day Monday. (Maybe those who “seemed 8 days needed” hadn’t noticed the time sensitive aspect?)
mwic
admin
permalink   Sat, Oct 29, 2016 @ 6:43 AM
Yay upload day! But it won’t let me add the secret_mixter tag to my upload for some reason?

permalink   mwic Sat, Oct 29, 2016 @ 7:03 AM
Yikes i got so excited that I forgot how to operate a calendar. Now what do I do?

permalink   Siobhan Dakay Sat, Oct 29, 2016 @ 1:01 PM
Today is the 29th - upload day is on 30th.
:-)

permalink   mwic Sun, Oct 30, 2016 @ 3:53 AM
Okay now it really is the 30th but I still can’t add that tag to the remix ( http://ccmixter.org/files/m... ) help?
Subliminal
permalink   Mon, Oct 31, 2016 @ 10:55 AM
I’m probably halfway through all the secret mixter remixes and I have to say that I am amazed by the sheer quality of the remixes I have heard so far. My compliments to all involved.