skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » FREEDOM TO SHARE: ccMixter Responds to ASCAP

FREEDOM TO SHARE: ccMixter Responds to ASCAP

admin
permalink   Sun, Aug 1, 2010 @ 8:07 PM
FREEDOM TO SHARE
ccMixter Answers ASCAP with Collaborative Write-Record- Remix Event

BACKGROUND

ccMixter is a collaborative community that uses Creative Commons licenses. ASCAP is the American Society for Composers, Authors and Publishers.

This event especially honors the art of writing and composition. ccMixter is a place where writing and composition are uniquely honored through collaboration.

ASCAP recently started a fund-raising campaign for a fight against Creative Commons, EFF and Public Knowledge — claiming Creative Commons licenses undermine copyright, somehow forfeiting artist royalties. We’ve found rather the opposite to be true as ccMixter thrives from the creative freedom and opportunity inherent in sharing our work under Creative Commons licenses.

As artists, we believe WE should have the freedom to choose how we share our work. Creative Commons licenses are an innovative way for us to retain ownership, and yet also give us the freedom to choose how our work is used and reused. We do not sacrifice ownership by sharing our creations under these licenses, nor do we necessarily give up our right to receive royalties (depending on the Creative Commons license under which a work is shared).

We considered drafting an official response from ccMixter. But our creative, collaborative process speaks for itself. Our creative works are more powerful than words. Thus the FREEDOM TO SHARE Remix Event was born!

THE PROJECT

So here’s how it works. FREEDOM TO SHARE has two stages.

Stage One: Write, record and upload a piece that reflects the theme FREEDOM TO SHARE.

Stage Two: Remix someone else’s upload from Stage One. Upload your remix BETWEEN AUG 18 - SEPT 5.

STAGE ONE:

WHEN: Aug 1 through August 14

WHAT: Write and Record a lyric that comments on the themes of this project: artistic freedom, sharing culture, collaboration, the evolution of the music industry, etc.

HOW: Up through August 14, upload a recording of your lyric as an acapella….you can submit a spoken word, a rap, or a melody. (If you’ve never uploaded a poem or a song, this is your opportunity!)

STAGE TWO
:

WHEN: UPLOAD BETWEEN AUG 18- SEPT 5.

WHAT: Remix one (or more) of the uploads from Stage One.

HOW: You can start woking with pells from Stage One as soon as they are submitted and upload between Aug 18 - Sept 5. Upload your remix here (or remixes) that include at least one track from Stage One. Your remix should continue to explore the theme of this event — artistic freedom, sharing culture and collaboration. Again, your remix must include at least one track piece from Stage One (please note all samples in your remix must be yours originally or under the appropriate Creative Commons license). You are free to upload more than one remix too.

SHARING THE MESSAGE

Through this project, we at ccMixter will create a musical body of work that demonstrates the power of creative collaboration using Creative Commons licenses. We also hope the FREEDOM TO SHARE Remix Event will sonically illuminate matters requiring more light in this debate.

The music created by the project will become a tool for educating others about the versatility of Creative Commons licenses. We intend to share these remixes via curated playlists, podcasts and compilations in as many venues as we can reach, including other websites that support CC licensed work, such as Jamendo, Soundcloud, FMA, Archive.org, etc.

And in addition, Snowflake will deliver a thumb drive of all FREEDOM TO SHARE uploads to her contact at ASCAP (she’s been a member since 1995), with a personalized letter including Attribution details.

LICENSES

The whole idea is that we as creators want to celebrate our right to choose, so upload your track under the CC license of your choice.

It would be great if some of the tracks would be licensed CC-BY, but, again, this is your choice within the general compatibility guidelines of this project.

LINKS

Here are some relevant links:
wired.com news story
ASCAP’s letter
Creative Commons initial response
Lawrence Lessig’s challenge (former chair of Creative Commons)
ASCAP’s Paul Williams declines debate - his statement
Creative Commons asks us to speak up
— ASCAP homepage & wikipedia entry
— Creative Commons homepage & wikipedia entry
— ccMixter homepage & wikipedia entry

Thank you for demonstrating the power of collaboration made possible with Creative Commons through the Freedom To Share Remix Event!

NOTE: You can find uploads for this project in our playlists:

Pellas
Remixes
Blake
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 8:41 AM
Outstanding idea. Do we have to submit in order to remix?

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:29 AM
Quote: BlakeHTOutstanding idea. Do we have to submit in order to remix?

You do not. Although we would love to have some words from you on the subject!

permalink   Blake Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:31 AM
Ok thank you!

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:30 AM
While we definitely encourage mixters to participate in both stages, it is not required. (You can submit a spoken word/pella without doing a remix and vice versa.)

permalink   Blake Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:31 AM
Thanks!
Alex
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 12:04 PM
Very good idea! Let’s do it…
Adisa McKenzie
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 5:15 PM
I want to participate but i’ll be at burning man. what can I do? I leave civilization on August 27.

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 5:33 PM
If you want to participate by offering a pell to be remixed, you have until August 14th to upload something. Alternatively, you can send your lyrics to one of our vocalists, spoken word artists or rappers and ask them to perform your words for you as a pell. I am sending you a more detailed email privately.

permalink   The Orchestral Movement of 1932 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 9:54 PM
Say one (namely, me) isn’t too familiar with the vocalists on this site and still wants to post lyrics, would it be cool if I/someone started a thread on one of the forums with lyrics for others to sing?

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 10:00 PM
Absolutely. Feel free to start a thread in the “parts wanted” forum. Although, I encourage you to upload something in your own voice — if you are uncomfortable singing, spoken word is splendid. You could always include in the description of the upload that you would love for someone to cover it. This would not preclude you from also posting in the “parts wanted” for a vocalist to cover your song.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 10:52 AM
I’m assuming you want to contribute a remix in Stage 2? and the uploads for that begin on the 28th—which means you’d miss the window?

If you upload the mix before you leave, I’ll make sure it gets added to the correct playlists. Please send me a reminder when you upload it, ok?

Have a great time out there—Metropolis is the theme this year yes?

Jason
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 5:38 PM
I am really excited about this event! As someone who has personally benefitted in countless ways from sharing my work with CC licenses, I believe this event can help focus attention on what can be gained by sharing our work using CC licenses.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 10:54 AM
Exicted I am about this event too! Really like the pella track you’ve uploaded. Can’t wait to hear the remixes.

permalink   debbizo Sun, Aug 8, 2010 @ 1:54 PM
Waiting until the 28th to upload the remix is hard!

permalink   go1dfish Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:35 PM
This might be a good time to mention, that you can actually upload a mix/pella to ccmixter and postpone publishing it by unchecking the ‘Publish Now’ box.

I do this, and get all my file formats in place on my uploads before I publish.

Also, if you are going to be gone during a phase of the contest, and have your stuff done, you can upload your mix this way with a note and an admin will publish when the phase starts.
Subliminal
permalink   Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 10:19 AM
Are all uploads going to be tagged with an event specific tag?

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 10:27 AM
Absolutely. Freedom to Share. Also, as uploads start coming in, they will be moved into a playlist. The pells have started coming in and are landing in a playlist HERE.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 11:22 AM
thanks susan! we’ve listened to Loveshadow’s pella twice so far this morning. i am very inspired…..
Down With Ben
permalink   Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 3:56 PM
Just posted a little melody here.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 9:57 AM
i like your positive, inclusive approach with your song. nicely done.
essesq
permalink   Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 9:10 PM
Hi all - I posted my pella and I noticed that it seems to automatically license my stuff as CC-BY-NC, or whatever the ok to use for any non-commercial use thingy (listen to the precision of the lawyer’s language..geez…) If I want to switch to CC-BY how can I do it?

permalink   go1dfish Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 9:57 PM
I don’t think there is a way for you to switch it, but an admin can switch it for you if you ask. I’m not sure if you are requesting to switch yours here, but if you would like I can switch it for you.

permalink   essesq Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 2:46 PM
Yes, please switch it for me. Thank you. Drop me a note and tell me how to choose for my tracks in the future. I don’t seem to get an option or I don’t know where it is.

permalink   Loveshadow Thu, Aug 5, 2010 @ 9:53 AM
The options are right there at the upload, on the upload page.

permalink   essesq Thu, Aug 5, 2010 @ 10:04 AM
What’ya know? I ignored all that…thought it was just graphics. Besides by the time you hit that spot on the page..all the “aren’t I clever” bits are over…no wonder I missed it :-).

Best advice you’ve given me since “split item at cursor.” ;-) Thank you.
Loveshadow
permalink   Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 7:22 AM
`I tapped into something that seemed to work for my generation. I love the fact that some of the songs continue to survive, but I think that there’s a window of opportunity for a time when you really, really relate to your generation. And I think a lot of us pass through that as songwriters.’

Paul Williams 2007

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 7:33 AM
“The best part of being a songwriter — beyond being able to make a living at it — is what I call the “heart payment” of a song.”

I definitely intend to quote him on this one!

Thanks for sharing that link.

permalink   victor Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 2:05 PM
that should be on the front page of ccM next to the Vadim quote

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 10:59 AM
maybe just replace the vadim quote for while the event is taking place?
copperhead
permalink   Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
What a fantastic idea! IT”S ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN lol

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 11:00 AM
OHHHHH YEAAAHHHHHHH!
Fireproof_Babies
permalink   Wed, Aug 4, 2010 @ 11:28 PM
So strange to be away on my own inward journey of unknowns; Returning with this situation at the fore. I find it sickening, really.
Loveshadow
permalink   Thu, Aug 5, 2010 @ 9:49 AM
GEMA is the German equivalent of ASCAP, most countries have such a self created self imposed unit now i believe.
Whilst in the main they do a reasonable job of policing the antique system of copyright and royalty fees there is a down side.

Only last week a client of mine took a video that contained a track i had written ( and been paid directly for ) to Germany to play on an exhibition stand over two days. On their return to the UK they found a bill from GEMA for around £100 claiming it was for a performance fee of the music i had written. There was no request for composer details of the track. My client sent it all to me thinking they were somehow liable. They were not and i emailed GEMA to that effect.

Now to send a bill like that meant they would have had to have had someone on the ground report they were playing a video with music and got their mailing address. If they had not questioned it with me they would have paid the fee like perhaps many companies already have done and those fees would have had no where and no one to be paid out to.

It’s all quite easy to understand really

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 4:16 AM
My God! That’s a Calabi-Yau shape!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Aug 7, 2010 @ 11:22 AM
The collection society Calabi-Yau shape is no match for our Mixter Matrix!

permalink   anjibee Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 4:54 PM
Quote: Loveshadowa bill from GEMA for around £100 claiming it was for a performance fee of the music i had written.

wow, what total BS!!! you know they weren’t going to give that money to YOU, either. highway robbery, i tell ya!
Stephen Fewell
permalink   Thu, Aug 5, 2010 @ 5:31 PM
All done - ready to upload - roll on 28th

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Aug 5, 2010 @ 6:39 PM
Superb! I can’t wait to hear it because your work is just so darn delicious!!!!

If you’re so inclined, feel free to do more! In addition to sending ALL of the uploads generated by this projec to ASCAP, we will be curating multiple playlists, podcasts, and net-releases from this body of work.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 9:54 AM
last night i started having grandoise ideas for creating a concept album out of this material after stage two. we’ll see if that actually happens, but it is a fun thought anyway.

yes, more mixes would be excellent!

permalink   debbizo Fri, Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:22 AM
Quote: Stephen FewellAll done - ready to upload - roll on 28th

I’m all done too! Can’t wait to upload.
debbizo
permalink   Mon, Aug 9, 2010 @ 1:59 PM
My remix is just over 13MB (about 13.4) will I be able to upload it here for ‘Freedom to Share’, or will it need to be uploaded as an extended mix?
Thanks

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 7:15 AM
I’m not sure. I forwarded your question to one of our technical maestros.

permalink   go1dfish Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:32 AM
You should be able to upload it here, for freedom to share, and thats where you should upload it. If it doesn’t work out let us know.

The FLAC version of mine is likely going to be over 13mb as well.

permalink   debbizo Wed, Aug 11, 2010 @ 6:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I tried uploading it but I don’t think it worked. Should I be uploading in the same place as the pellas, or the usual submit files link?

permalink   debbizo Thu, Aug 12, 2010 @ 3:51 AM
Oh, I just found the ‘hidden’ tab!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:25 AM
I don’t have a mic or lyrics so can I enter with a collage from parts from our acapella database. Making a new text from words from diffrent users?

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 7:13 AM
Normally such a collage would be considered a remix, but for the purpose of this event, I think that would be splendid, and perfectly fitting thematically.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 8:24 AM
I’ve been away, and was sick the whole time. Knowing I was coming back to this to work on helped keep my spirits up.

There’s potentially a lot of fun to be had on this topic (and if a picture is worth a thousand words, a song must be worth a million!)

Mr. Williams is himself quite a talented composer. I think he should try remixing some stuff. In fact, I plan to (musically) suggest this to him! ;-)

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 9:56 AM
i love that your blues song hails the lyrics of mr williams and encourages him to remix. brilliant.
Ivan Chew
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 11:51 AM
I’m in for Stage 2 (and if I get high drinking erm, tea… I might just submit something for Stage 1). Just an idea: It would be nice to have the same Secret Mixter sign-up mechanics, i.e. sign-up, email confirmation with detailed instructions and reminder, a list of fellow mixters. But then this is kinda no-frills and it’s good enough.

permalink   Papa_Zulu Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 6:29 PM
Grab that mic and record sumthin Ivan I did :D lol
Colin Mutchler
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 1:38 PM
Can I submit pellas that had already been uploaded to CCmixter previously? Specfically I’m thinking of Language of My Reality and More Than 2 Sides, both of which are relevant to this topic.

Thanks!
Colin

permalink   copperhead Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:02 PM
Sure! Why not! That is the whole purpose of this site and would make an excellent example of just what we are trying to accomplish!

permalink   Colin Mutchler Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 12:37 PM
What I meant is: can I link an existing file that’s already been uploaded instead of uploading a copy of the mp3 as a separate submission.

The reason is to also consider some of the existing remixes of those tracks that have been made over the last few years as well.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Aug 14, 2010 @ 7:42 PM
hey colin, email me and let me know which track you’d like to contribute, and we’ll get admin to tag it for the project.

permalink   Colin Mutchler Sun, Aug 15, 2010 @ 1:38 PM
Hi Snowflake, I emailed the link to the pellas. Thanks so much for linking them to the project.
anjibee
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:00 PM
snowflake was kind enough to email me about this event and invite me to submit something. i had just been listening to some unused vocals of mine yesterday that i was thinking about uploading here, so the timing could not be more perfect!

I think my “We Are Connected” vocal line should work well behind pretty much any of the spoken word pieces I’ve heard on the Pellas page. If time permits, I might be able to add a lower harmony to this vocal, as well. If any of you producers are interested in that, contact me and I’ll see what I can do.
essesq
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 6:29 PM
A big thank you to whoever put my reading in the featured pella list. I feel quite humbled and honored. And don’t feel the need to reply, this isn’t a grab for more attention, I’ve received more than my fair share already.
go1dfish
permalink   Tue, Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:43 PM
So this is awesome, at the time of this writing there are 12 attribution and 12 non-commercial pellas, a 50/50 split.

Really great pellas to thanks to everyone for all the great uploads.
Kara Square
permalink   Wed, Aug 11, 2010 @ 1:53 PM
Wow. This really is an incredible idea. I’ve been trying to figure out how to become involved in educating ASCAP. If I can come up with some words by the 14th, I’m in.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Thu, Aug 12, 2010 @ 7:09 AM
So has anyone else done their stage two? I got into it early, and now I feel like a kid who knows his birthday is 364 days away. ;-)

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 9:50 AM
we’ve been talking about a creative way to make sure all of the pellas get incorporate into mixes but haven’t really come up with anything quite yet. do you have any ideas bob? really looking forward to hearing your mix(es?)!

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 10:12 AM
Well I know that there is a “publish now” flag in the uploads. What if you were to use that to effect?

I.e. put up the upload page now, but leave off and flip the “publish now” option to false, then schedule the option to flip on on August 28.

If the remixed started coming in hidden now, you could track the pellas that were used, and find some way to promote those that weren’t (like posting here.)

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Aug 14, 2010 @ 7:44 PM
great idea bob. i think we’ll also ask mixters to email admin and let us know what pellas they are using in their remix, so we can reach out and ask folks to include ones that haven’t been used yet. we really want to try to include every pella (there are so many great ones, it is amazing). what do you think?

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, Aug 15, 2010 @ 6:25 AM
absolutely! My guess is most people have an inkling of what they’re inclined to tackle well before it is done.
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 1:12 PM
Alrighty! Here’s a little spoken word pella… This is such a great project!
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Fri, Aug 13, 2010 @ 10:41 PM
LOL… I posted a rap… must’ve been those EZE and 2-Live Crew influences in my youth.

I’m suprised there isn’t more rap, or more things offensive. You guys are too nice :o)
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, Aug 14, 2010 @ 1:05 AM
The quality of what I’ve heard has totally blown my mind. Jacinda’s madrigal… that would be mind blowing just as words, and not as the most amazing choral I’ve heard in just about forever. Where else do you even hear anything like that?

If the remixes are of the artistic caliber as the poems and songs that have been submitted, my iPod’s going to explode!
admin
permalink   Sun, Aug 15, 2010 @ 8:08 AM
The window to submit pellas is over — you have created and recorded inspiring works for this project. We bow to you :)

STAGE TWO IS ON!

The remixing stage has begun! It’s our goal that each Freedom to Share pella be included in a Freedom to Share remix.

So, remixers, will you please email admin (please include your ccMixter artist name) and let us know what pellas/stems you’re using in your mix (and multiple remixes are encouraged!)? If you’ve already uploaded your remix this will not be necessary. (Sorry we don’t have a more sophisticated way to do this yet). Upload between Aug 11 - 28.

Thank you in advance for helping us meet this challenge. Together, we’re demonstrating the power of Creative Commons :)
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   debbizo Tue, Aug 17, 2010 @ 2:22 PM
Quote: colabQuick question - could you explain the reason for holding off until Aug 28?

I guess what I’m saying is: may I just upload now? :)

I’ve ended up settling for uploading mine with the publish now box unticked. I can’t wait to publish them!

permalink   Alex Tue, Aug 17, 2010 @ 11:31 PM
I have just the same question…
If we could upload now, there’s still some time to revisit the pellas wich are not mixed yet. I think there’s a chance to have even more remixes, if we could start uploading…

permalink   debbizo Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:12 AM
Quote: AlexI have just the same question…
If we could upload now, there’s still some time to revisit the pellas wich are not mixed yet. I think there’s a chance to have even more remixes, if we could start uploading…

I agree

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:21 AM
i don’t think any of us is particularly attached making everyone wait until the upload day.

if the community wants it, we’ll suggest folks upload between today and Aug 28?

thanks for your feedback.

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:09 AM
a note based on some comments we’re received — your remix doesn’t need to retain any sort of ‘song’ element - cut-up, manipulated words (more like pella samples) is fine, for example. freedom of expression, in whatever way you feel it, is the point.

permalink   debbizo Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:18 PM
I uploaded mine early and just published them, but I’m not sure that they are sitting in the right place. Also they seem to have the stage one tag rather than stage two.

permalink   debbizo Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 2:31 PM
Also, I don’t seem to be able to edit the tags and I need to add the sources again.

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 3:11 PM
I edited the tags for you. You should be able to add the sources by using the “edit source” link. Let us know if you have any problems.

permalink   debbizo Fri, Aug 20, 2010 @ 1:30 AM
Thanks SackJo
copperhead
permalink   Sun, Aug 15, 2010 @ 6:25 PM
I wish there wasn’t a deadline on this. There are so many great pellas I just don’t know what to do lol

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:42 AM
i’m on my third remix in three days….i know what you mean! if we need more time, we can always extend it. we’ll see what people have to say on aug 28 eh?!
admin
permalink   Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:38 AM
SUBMISSION DATE EXTENDED TO MIDNIGHT (PST) SEPT 5!

Upload your FREEDOM TO SHARE remix between Aug 18 and Sept 5!

Our community has just demonstrated the power of free speech and artistic freedom. Thank you.

permalink   texasradiofish Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
Forgot to upload “funk the copyright” http://ccmixter.org/files/t... and “mind map this” http://ccmixter.org/files/t... to the Freedom playlist. What’s the protocol to fix it?

Thanks, TRF
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 10:52 AM
I have a huge favor to ask of ya’ll — could please kindly record yourself saying the words ‘Dear Mr Williams’ for a little remix experiment i’m working on? i’d be truly grateful. ideally i’d have about 40 different voices saying the words ‘Dear Mr Williams’ - let me know if you can help me out!

i’ll need them in the next day or so if possible (sorry for the rush!) :)

thank you!

permalink   Ivan Chew Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 6:54 PM
Hi Emily, how do we send it to you? We could upload it here I suppose, though it might be a deluge of 3-second samples. Anyway, would be happy to help.

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 18, 2010 @ 9:41 PM
you can email it to me at artistechemily at gmail dot com - thanks!

permalink   debbizo Thu, Aug 19, 2010 @ 3:52 AM
Happy to do this but it will be another 24hours before I can do it - hope that’s OK.

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 19, 2010 @ 9:52 AM
thank you! perfect :)

permalink   debbizo Fri, Aug 20, 2010 @ 1:49 AM
All done!

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Aug 19, 2010 @ 7:47 AM
Hope to get something to you tonight — been way busy with live gigs and work… .man, just when inspiration hits big time too!

permalink   copperhead Sat, Sep 4, 2010 @ 1:36 PM
Sorry I didn’t see this in time. Too bad lol
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Mon, Aug 23, 2010 @ 7:10 AM
Spending some time this morning catching up with the remixes. Flooded with gratitude and appreciate for our amazing, creative, generous and talented community! And thinking we definitely have to have a dance party to celebrate our Freedom to Share!
debbizo
permalink   Mon, Aug 23, 2010 @ 7:12 PM
Is is possible to mark, highlight or list the Freedom to Share pellas that haven’t been remixed yet?
Thanks, debbizo

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Aug 26, 2010 @ 7:14 AM
I don’t know that there is — technically endowed people?

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Aug 26, 2010 @ 8:53 AM
http://www.ccmixter.org/tag...

Then look for people without song links on the right side.

I’m away this week, and haven’t been able to listen to or do any music. And it looks like a lot of exciting music has been made!

permalink   debbizo Thu, Aug 26, 2010 @ 2:24 PM
Thanks Admiral Bob! I didn’t think of that.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, Aug 26, 2010 @ 7:13 AM
Am I the only one who could use some extra time to finish mixing?

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Aug 26, 2010 @ 7:48 AM
Me too, although in my case ‘some extra time’ would have to amount to a lifetime…;-)

permalink   Carosone Fri, Aug 27, 2010 @ 6:41 AM
Me too, coming back from holidays just too little time to close the remix by the 28th, and I am depressed since I really feel the issue, Italian SIAE (authors’ society) is behaving similarly.
Admin, please donate one week more for last-minute remixers..

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 12:01 PM
Deadline has been extended!

permalink   Carosone Sun, Aug 29, 2010 @ 10:13 AM
yahoo!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 12:00 PM
I am very happy to see the deadline has been extended! Thank you!
Vidian
permalink   Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 12:36 PM
I’m really happy too! I wasnt happy with my Project yet, Im glad I can perfect it :D

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 3:58 PM
thanks to everyone for their input. I have two more mixes I hope to finish so am glad everyone suggested we extend. :)
onlymeith
permalink   Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 5:23 PM
Thanks for extra time.
tacet
permalink   Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 6:39 PM
note to self : check the website before staying up until 2:41am trying to finish a mix! :)

too funny…I’m doing a mix of OhComeTheeDown which I really need to keep working on as it’s currently about 2 minutes long!

I’d resigned myself to the fact that someone might have a very short attention span and like it :D

So now I even have time to wake up in the morning, hate what I’ve done and start over, lol :)

Sigh…..

Thanks for the extension though, seriously :D
AT
permalink   Sat, Aug 28, 2010 @ 8:56 PM
Well seeing as I have absolutely nothing I am very happy to get the extra time——thanks much.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sun, Aug 29, 2010 @ 7:25 PM
Despite all the fun we’re having (and I certainly am ), there are reminders every day of why we have to fight back at organizations like ASCAP. If you want to see what I’m guessing they probably have in their roadmap, check this out:

http://www.zeropaid.com/new...

That’s what the Czech Republic is doing. In order to license a work under CC, licensors will be forced to seek the approval of a collection society.

That’s pretty damn scary. Appoint the fox to watch the Hen House, and Creative Commons would be dead.

The irony of this approach is that, if you assert a Creative Commons license under the proposed law without jumping through these hoops, you may not have the rights to restrict the license (i.e. CC-A-NC.) This goes to show once again that CC licenses are as much to protect artists as to enable listeners and sharers.

permalink   timberman Mon, Aug 30, 2010 @ 11:06 AM
This is really getting absurd!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Mon, Aug 30, 2010 @ 6:30 AM
Oh great so I can still join the party?
Mana Junkie
permalink   Sat, Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:56 PM
If you can’t tell… I’m having a blast with this Remix event. ;)

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Sep 6, 2010 @ 9:30 AM
Quote: Mana JunkieIf you can’t tell… I’m having a blast with this Remix event. ;)

Now that we’re done, I hope someone can remind me how to make songs about stuff other than ASCAP. I kind of forget. ;-)
admin
permalink   Mon, Sep 6, 2010 @ 9:11 AM
Thank you Mixters - your creations and voices are like a beacon of light in darkness!

You guys rock.

permalink   Mana Junkie Mon, Sep 6, 2010 @ 9:35 AM
You are the one that rocks we just roll. ;)

permalink   Vidian Tue, Sep 7, 2010 @ 12:15 PM
We need a facebook like button :P
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I’m working on grouping all of the remixes and pellas into tracks of about 10-14 each (by genre or style or theme), will then download and tag them all, then load onto thumbdrive into ‘playlists’ in these groupings to send to Mr. Williams at ASCAP. Am also drafting my cover lever to Mr Williams - not really saying much, as I think the music speaks for itself.

If anyone has any suggestions on songs to group together, that would be great! I’ve been listening to all the remixes and am so inspired by the creativity of everyone who participated.

Keep rocking :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:10 AM
My suggestion is to do like the Brown album and the Orange album… group the electronica, hip-hop and chill stuff in groups, and then group the roots/rock/pop stuff.

Just a $0.02 (give or take the exchange rate. :) )

permalink   Subliminal Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 10:17 AM
Maybe it might be a good idea to avoid putting too many remixes using the same pella into one group. Otherwise the messages could lose their meaning when repeated too often in a short period of time.

I guess this amounts to €0.005…;-)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:45 AM
While I don’t disagree that things that seem like promotion may seem crass, I’ve learned enough about existentialism to believe in the old saw that casts doubt on an unheard tree falling in the forest.

A great message that is never heard might as well never have been issued, unfortunately.

I really like your idea of a drive. CCMixter isn’t the only place that great Creative Commons licensed music happens (even if it is the best in my opinion. :) ) What would it look like?

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 9:30 PM
i was going to send a thumbdrive because that is what i promised at the beginning of the project. a link to the playlists (we’ll have to make a few since 100 tracks is the max) is certainly less work for me, so i am fine with that too. i just want to make sure he listens. i can also send an email to my contact at ASCAP with a link, and perhaps he could forward it to Mr Williams. i would like him to hear what we had to say to him.

definitely digging on the drive/project idea you present. any further insights/thoughts on that? my creativity is running a little low at the moment and could use a jump start.

thanks to all for your input.

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:07 PM
I honestly doubt, he’ll listen. Also as a personal sentiment, I don’t think you need to feel to obliged to follow through with the actual sending of anything. It’s most certainly not why I participated. In my view, it would be fine to let the list stand as a monument of our sentiments, letting it speak for itself.

If you’re really bent on taking it further as some sort of pr event, it might deserve some additional thought like whom the message is really for, who is it coming from, and what outcome is it trying to influence. All pretty heady stuff. And given the wide variety of sentiments we often have in our discussions here at ccM, probably not a quick process to distill a reasonably common opinion. ;-)

So if you just want to let it rest, I’d be perfectly fine with that.

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Sep 23, 2010 @ 4:18 AM
That’s hard to say. Having known lots of songwriters of varying ability, I would speculate that most of us have enough of both vanity and curiosity that it would be quite difficult to be presented 100 songs that are essentially about you… and not listen to at least some of it!

permalink   spinmeister Thu, Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:23 AM
lol - the vanity angle is a good one! :-) So you think it will win out over the my-name-has-been-raked-through-the-mud-all-over-the-evil-thieving-kniving-copy-left-bastards-blogosphere anger and the I-am-under-siege-fighting-the-noble-fight-and-now-a-bunch-of-no-good-have-never-made-a-million-from-their-songs-wannabes-sling-several-hours-of-musical-mud-at-me fear?

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Sep 23, 2010 @ 10:15 AM
Hmm. You’ve got me there! :)

permalink   essesq Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 1:13 AM
I thought I’d weigh in with my own personal feeling about this. When this project was first announced I licensed my poem CC-BY because I thought that this site might want to do a compilation and sell it to raise money for…(drumroll)…this site. If that sounds greedy and capitalist and just like what we are supposedly trying to fight I’m sorry but I’m a fan of self preservation.

If you all think this whole thing is about one guy, and I don’t honestly believe that, you are mistaken. The best way for this body of work to do it’s job is to get it heard, not by Mr. Williams, but by the people who may share our beliefs but may not be out there shouting them from their own mountaintops. We need to allow our stuff to empower as many people as we can to use this licensing system in the way in which it was intended to show the good it can do.

Promoting our stuff as a benefit work to be purchased or obtained for a contribution to this site would do two key things in advancement of our goals. First, it would help secure the future of this space as a place for carrying out the usage of these licenses. Second, it would begin to prove that this “model” has some viable business implications. Both of these outcomes would prove beneficial to the broader fight that we set out to take to the streets. And let’s face it, that is where it will be won, and not at the feet (or ears) of Mr. Williams.
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Sat, Sep 25, 2010 @ 10:50 AM
For what it’s worth, ASCAP announced a new US Legislative bill written by 7 US Senators to protect creators, but it appears their goal of outlawing/charging creative commons works is not in the bill.

http://www.ascap.com/playba...

The bill

http://www.govtrack.us/cong...

The danger is and what is odd is that there are already laws that cover this, (but it is election year for some senators so its free advertisement); because what happens sometimes is ASCAP may pay someone to amend the bill to change “without permission from copyright owners” to “without permission from copyright owners or copyrighted works for no consideration, (free)” at some point in the future.

This would be a classic legislative “pork play” where a bill is introduced for all the right reasons, but then special interests pay policy writers their own verbage to benefit them.

The result is anyone who would then challenge the bill, even with amened changes outlawing creative commons, would be associated with pirating and as a result, the special interest gets their advantage written into the bill and will always be on the political high ground.

“How a bill becomes a porkchop”

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Sep 25, 2010 @ 1:59 PM
This is actually pretty worrisome legislation, having taken a glance at it. Although it doesn’t assert extraterritoriality (except in cases where a foreign based site is targeting US citizens as customers), it seems they’re looking to compel any operator of BIND to not resolve offending DNS names.

That essentially sets up the US to have a different Internet from everyone else, if I read this right.

Sec.2 E 2 B

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 9:02 AM
In the past, I’ve had conversations with Senator Hatch - we even had lunch together at an ASCAP luncheon in NYC where he was honored for his work on behalf of musicians. I would like to write him a letter about our perspective and concerns on the legislation, and very much welcome your input and comments as to how we believe it could be damaging to the productive aspects of sharing music, including artist collaboration.

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Sep 27, 2010 @ 1:49 PM
My problems with the bill are technical.

2. E. B) REQUIRED ACTIONS describes a series of remedies that would require, unless I’m reading this wrong, United States infrastructure providers (be it ISPs, backbones, or whathaveyou) to act as though the offending domain name doesn’t exist. Domain name resolution should return null results for the hostname (even if they don’t), credit card processors have to be aware of - and act on - presumably a blacklist (which probably does not even exist at current.)

That might not be the kind of thing keeping an artist up at night, but it IS the kind of thing keeping a system administrator up at night!

permalink   MikeTheBee Sat, Oct 9, 2010 @ 1:51 AM
It seems, to me, that this is a very powerful power, not just for digital works but it could be used against any website outside the US. Nulling the DNS, preventing payments and advertising could kill genuine sites easily while true pirates have the funds to move on elsewhere.

Good work for highlighting it.
Mike.

Quote: Admiral BobMy problems with the bill are technical.

2. E. B) REQUIRED ACTIONS describes a series of remedies that would require, unless I’m reading this wrong, United States infrastructure providers (be it ISPs, backbones, or whathaveyou) to act as though the offending domain name doesn’t exist. Domain name resolution should return null results for the hostname (even if they don’t), credit card processors have to be aware of - and act on - presumably a blacklist (which probably does not even exist at current.)

That might not be the kind of thing keeping an artist up at night, but it IS the kind of thing keeping a system administrator up at night!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Thu, Sep 30, 2010 @ 10:10 PM
I guess it’s time to pull the Freedom to Share banner, so here are the links to the playlists for future reference.

Remixes

Pellas

I’m contemplating some ideas for an album or two from this project in addition to the cover letter I’m working on to send Mr. Williams. One is a broadway musical based on the songs and story. It could take me a while (never done anything like that before) and welcome input. I think exploration of the idea alone will be a journey, regardless of the outcome.

As far as Mr. Williams, after everyone’s input, I plan to send an email with a URL to the playlists, but would love to send him future curations too. There is so much great music here and I’ve found songs have different flavors based on groupings, order, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks again to everyone for creating music to support creative commons licensing, and thus ccMixter itself.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Tue, Oct 5, 2010 @ 11:51 AM
Could someone explain me what this all means, for all musicians & for those outside the US. I have tried to read and understand the bill but my english isn’t good enough to understand it. I’m capable to participate in the daily talk but this specific “law-language” is a bit to much for me.

Tnx