Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Collaboration Feature

Collaboration Feature

victor
permalink   Fri, Sep 14, 2007 @ 7:51 PM
[UPDATE] This feature no longer exists on the site… didn’t work out…

The vast majority of remixes on ccMixter are created when a musician uploads pre-recorded samples or a cappellas and the remixer/producer discovers the sample and uses it to create something new, unexpected and original. To use the site this way you just download the samples you want and use Submit Files to post your remixes.

However, some musicians and singers that have discovered each other on ccMixter want to work together from the beginning of the project. To accommodate that we’ve added a Collaboration feature to the site that takes care of all the sharing and bookkeeping for the project.

Any registered user can:

Create a new Collaboration Project

(If you don’t have an account, create one now.)

After you name and describe your account you invite other musicians who then become members in the project.

All project members have special access to area of the site where they can share files (samples, a cappellas and mixes) and private messages between each other while the project is developing.

After the project is ready for the public, publishing the files is a push-button away.

ALL attribution is automatically handled by the Collaboration system. See the “ One Crazy Love” for an example of this.

To see all the latest ones:

Browse Collaborations

Feedback and bug reports go to the usual place.

Peace,
VS
J.Lang
permalink   Sat, Sep 15, 2007 @ 6:51 AM
LOVE IT…..!!!!!!!!!!!!!
misterC
permalink   Sat, Sep 15, 2007 @ 10:35 AM
Noticed the option showed up on the remix tab yesterday afternoon, was wondering when you would post about it :)

This was on the top of my feature wishlist, thanks Vic!
Fireproof_Babies
permalink   Sat, Sep 15, 2007 @ 3:42 PM
What a great feature! Can’t wait to try it.
Alex
permalink   Tue, Sep 18, 2007 @ 10:33 AM
It’s just GREAT!
plurgid
permalink   Thu, Sep 20, 2007 @ 2:57 PM
HOT DAMN …
this is slick as hell.
Love the popup artist browser and the ajaxy email thing.

slick, man, very cool.

permalink   victor Thu, Sep 20, 2007 @ 9:01 PM
thanks p (and everybody) this one came from you guys, quite frankly it would not have occurred to me to add this feature if the community didn’t ask for it.
Songboy3
permalink   Fri, Sep 21, 2007 @ 9:40 AM
Wow. This spot is already the bomb and then you tweak it even closer to perfection! EXCELSIOR! (Apologies to Stan Lee…*wink!*)
G-Harp The Producer
permalink   Fri, Sep 21, 2007 @ 8:24 PM
Brilliant… I was waiting for a feature like this on the website. It’s a great addition and it makes collaborating so much easier. I’m waiting to see more “Welcome to Mixter”-esque collaborations.
THEPRODUCER
permalink   Sat, Oct 20, 2007 @ 11:03 AM
I would like to collab with any drum & bass heads out there ..
have not worked the site out yet but as soon as i set my stall up
we be on it in the meantime feel free to messege me peace…
Tapsa
permalink   Sun, Nov 11, 2007 @ 10:48 PM
Great feature
I would like to see option for musicians/remoxers to subscribe as “Free for collaborations”, so project leaders can invite someone, who is not having he’s/ her own collaboration project.

permalink   victor Mon, Nov 12, 2007 @ 10:59 AM
I’m not sure what you mean. You mean like ‘I’m available for doing bass parts’ ?

permalink   Tapsa Mon, Nov 12, 2007 @ 12:37 PM
Excuse my broken english ;)
Thats about, what i mean.

permalink   DURDEN Sun, Jan 6, 2008 @ 10:13 PM
I’m agree for that… In fact I was thinking, I’m abalialbe for doing electric guitars or basses… and as a mixer engineer or mastering engineer… It would be great if the people can post in the collaborate section in the same song asking for drummers or something… like “I need a good drum n bass break”… so the people can say “I’ll do he job”..

permalink   victor Mon, Jan 7, 2008 @ 3:05 AM
OK, I hear you.

Sounds like there needs to be two areas:
Musicians Available for collab
Musicians Wanted for collab

Is that right?

There’s another problem: artist A invites artist B to a collab and it looks like artist B accepted even if they never did.

permalink   DURDEN Mon, Jan 7, 2008 @ 8:25 AM
Yeah, absolutely. I think It would be great if you can show the project with a brief description like “Trip-Hop depresive with analog instruments played live (guitar, bass, drums), and two female singers complementing each other”. In this way if you are a guitarrist and like depression or you think you are the man for the job, you can easily contact the project manager. I think is great the “artis avaliable” and “artist Wanted” for collab. Also I think the projects could have some “positions avaliable” or “positions to fill” so you can aim for that postition. In an example. Guitarrist - Avaliable; drummer - Jeremy; DJ - Avaliable; Singer - Josh. Something like that so you can see how is the structure of the projec and what is the manager looking for… also somethink like “open position to someone who thnk can fit in the project” or something. In this way you as a musician can see what are they looking for and what kinda project is that so if you are a metal guitarrist you don’t enter in a project of blues… unless you wanted to, not by mistake. I think in this way, the collab section will work very much, there’s out there many musicians waiting for…

permalink   victor Mon, Jan 7, 2008 @ 2:18 PM
well, we don’t want to go crazy ;)

This is a remix site, showcasing producers and DJs, people here are waiting around for great pells and samples so they can make it into something that’s their own.
slumberlords
permalink   Fri, Jan 18, 2008 @ 4:38 AM
anyone like to collab with me, let me know.

permalink   shimoda Thu, Mar 13, 2008 @ 7:16 PM
You mentioned being interested in Collaborating… I am stuck in the gear of trying to get things going and knowing that I’m spinning my wheels. I’d like to do a few things and have a few ideas, but get stuck by verse 1. Working with others might handle that a bit. I play bass, some guitar and keys, but don’t get too crazy. My playing has been largely on upright for the past few years doing jazz, I do electric too.

permalink   slumberlords Fri, Apr 25, 2008 @ 7:08 PM
hi there, sorry for the late response, ive been trying to get a business up and running over the last couple of months. It would be my pleasure to collab. Im not going to be as prolific as I was previously (because of the business), but would be great.
slumberlords
permalink   Sat, Jan 19, 2008 @ 2:34 AM
im having trouble uploading on the collab, files are less than 5meg..

permalink   slumberlords Sat, Jan 19, 2008 @ 2:36 AM
actually it uploaded, there was just no confirmation screen
illusivemind
permalink   Tue, Apr 22, 2008 @ 8:12 PM
Is there any way to have an open collaboration? That is people can join and upload files without being invited?

This would be ideal for this collab:
http://ccmixter.org/collab/108

permalink   slumberlords Fri, Apr 25, 2008 @ 6:37 PM
Quote: illusivemindIs there any way to have an open collaboration? That is people can join and upload files without being invited?

This would be ideal for this collab:
http://ccmixter.org/collab/...

Actually, on another forum it was mentioned that a Forum for requesting and/or joining up collaborations was going to be setup. This is something I would really like to see setup..