Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Advertising Comes To CCMixter!!

Advertising Comes To CCMixter!!

Shelflife
permalink   Tue, Nov 4, 2014 @ 5:42 PM
Advertising Comes To CCMixter!!

Well my thoughts on it anyway!

Why do we hate ads on the net? Do we really want to live in a world where we know little about what is being produced?

I look around my studio and it is full of stuff that I found out about by advertising.

So what is the problem with advertising on a site like CCM? Is it the intrusive “pop ups” or the fear of editorial control by parties only interested in selling their product.

Advertising on the net is a way of life for both manufacturers and artists and for me it’s the way to go for CCM.

The CCM consumer base must be incredibly attractive to companies in the audio business and the opportunity to partner with some of them can benefit CCM’s members.

These are my thoughts and in the wake of CCM’s efforts to raise cash I believe it is the only way to go.

Also on a slightly off subject point but relevant to my comments I asked some business associates in the audio sector to rate CCM’s website and they all agreed it needs modernising and made more attractive to visitors both in colour and layout.

Something else to consider maybe?
My Free Mickey
permalink   Wed, Nov 5, 2014 @ 10:10 AM
So why do we hate ads on the internet?

Because ads are distractive and annoying.

Ads made the internet consumer driven instead of information driven. It has become mindless entertainment.
And mostly why we hate ads on the internet is why we hate advertising in general.
Advertising invades all aspects of our lives. They’re poisoning our public spaces with their cultural pollution and act as if they’re doing us a favor. That we should be grateful.

Advertising tends to exploit the flaws in human behavior with the only purpose to gain maximum profits and take no responsibility for the harm that they cost to society. They degrade people and disrupt their self image only to plant false desires in to their minds. With that kind of intentions it can’t be nothing else but evil.
Advertising leads only to more unnecessary consumption and more waste of natural resources. That’s poisoning our planet and cripples entire ecosystems.

That’s why we hate advertising and ads on the internet. (Or at least my thoughts about it) Because I’m a person and not a consumer!

But I recognize that although money shouldn’t be important it does matter a lot once you don’t have enough of it. And the bill has to get payed. So funding is damn well important. But at what cost should this be. And we may have to question:
Do we really want to live in a world where artistic value is only measured in monetary gain?
Do we really want to live in a world where our lives are dominated by private corporations that only see us as a consumer or a commodity?

I prefer donation and even stay with the outdated unattractive site if this means that CCM stays add free. Because I believe that’s what makes it special. A place free of ads where music is a form of expression…

But that of course is my opinion on the case ;-)

Peace

permalink   Shelflife Wed, Nov 5, 2014 @ 4:03 PM
You have posted a great reply in the argument against advertising and like you I agree that advertising exploits our inner weaknesses and creates a society of “I want that” instead of “I need that”.

CCM’s very exsistence for many years without advertising is testament that it can be done but I also fear that the recent attempt to raise funds is a worrying sign that CCM is struggling to survive.

If the target is not met what next!!
Speck
permalink   Wed, Nov 5, 2014 @ 1:48 PM
Why do I not like ads? Because like your posting ‘Advertising Comes To CCMixter!!’ under Announcements (messages from the admins) they’re largely tricks and lies and there’s enough of that to deal with every time I leave the house. My iron shirt is wearing thin.

permalink   Shelflife Wed, Nov 5, 2014 @ 4:06 PM
Yes I did post the thread under “Announcements” deliberately to achieve the maximum response!

With only two replies so far I’m glad I didn’t put it anywhere else!!

permalink   Speck Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 4:41 AM
I’ve observed over the years that daily participation in the site drops a bit during a secret mixter. Also mid-week. Your post probably would have (or will, it’s still a new post) gotten the same response if posted honestly. I’ve seen some really long threads in discussions of potential features under ‘features’ for instance.

It is an interesting subject for discussion. Just how has it been possible to keep the site going this long? Are a few people (or one) actually emptying their bank accounts to facilitate it? That’s not good. I read the goal for this fundraiser is some forty thousand dollars (which doesn’t seem likely to be reached). I (the naive innocent in me) have to admit I’m curious as to what costs forty thousand dollars if it’s volunteer run. And the cynic in me can’t help but wonder if someone with advertising experience suggested ‘if you want ten thousand ask for forty’. That’s what advertising has done for me, made me suspicious of everything.

For me a major attraction of this site, second only to the actual content, are those key words ‘non commercial’, but if it turns out the only way to keep CCM alive is with advertising and a site appearance update it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. It would be a disappointment but I’m enough of a realist to know that we idealists are generally destined for disappointment.

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 3:26 PM
A few thoughts. We’ve averaged spending $40k each year to keep ccMixter running since 2009. That covers basic expenses and no salaries. And we’re growing!

In 2009, we took out a few modest loans to get started (normal for a start-up). We negotiated extensions on those loans that now need to be repaid in 2015. Alex (go1dfish) and I have also provided significant funding from our personal bank accounts and now we’re asking for help.

We’re proud of how we’ve been able to do so much on so little. Alas, for ccMixter to grow and flourish moving forward, ultimately we need to hire a couple of people and update our technology. All of your admins work full-time jobs but could easily work full-time supporting ccMixter. And still, we would have a lot of work to do to improve our site and provide the tools to make the artist experience better. We also need help to monitor and educate about how our content is utilized outside our community.

I don’t know any other music website that spends this little in operations. For example, the WFMU, a partner that approached us to help them form the Creative Commons Coalition, spends an average of $2 million each year to operate — and their team depends a great deal on volunteers as well. The Creative Commons spends $6 million a year, also fueled largely by volunteers.

So our modest $40k is quite humble. We had hoped to raise closer $100k with push goals in the IndieGoGo campaign as outlined in our two Phases there. Honestly, it’s been a very big shock to see how little we’ve raised to date. I was naive to the value I thought others had for ccMixter I suppose.

ccMixter truly needs funding if we want to make any improvements beyond our status quo. Regardless, I remain as committed as ever to finding a way forward for us all.

This is an exciting time for ccMixter. We continue to average more than 300 new sign-ups a month here. Even bigger growth has happened at dig.ccMixter and beyond our community. Our traffic there has quadrupled since 2009. In 2012 ccMixter music was attributed in just under 30,000 videos. It’s now nearly 100,000.

I believe the music we create here is unique. How we create together is special. We are real artists creating real art through collaboration.

We have the opportunity to grow to a new level. Growth is usually a little painful. I hope we join together for this journey. Your talents and gifts are so appreciated and I believe ccMixter can flourish for years to come.

I hope you’re all cool with me moving this thread now since it really isn’t an announcement ;) Feel free to email or post with questions or comments.

permalink   Speck Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 4:29 AM
Thanks for the response. I hope you didn’t think anything I said was meant to denigrate your integrity. I have since done a little research on what costs are involved in running a site like this. Nothing but respect for your efforts. If I were filthy rich, I’d be your angel.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 8:29 AM
Honestly you are already an angel with all you give ccMixter. By reaching out for help we are not trying to discourage anyone or paint a doomsday picture for ccMixter. The good news is we are growing and our music is being heard and used by the world! That is amazing! Now we just need to adjust and find ways to support that growth, outside our community. So give this Trackback Drive a go. And after that, we will try something else. I LOVE ccMixter and am more committed than ever. Thanks for being a great support and for all of your music. :)

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 8:39 AM
:-)

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Nov 15, 2014 @ 5:02 PM
I just noticed somafm is trying to raise over $40k for one month’s operation. just for some scale.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 12:29 PM
I appreciate your thoughts on this subject. We do get approached quite often by agencies and other companies that want to advertise on ccMixter.

We always politely decline.

First, our contract with Creative Commons doesn’t allow advertising on ccMixter. However, advertising on dig.ccMixter.org may be an option.

We are currently exploring Sponsorship opportunities for remix events, and this would be agreeable to the Creative Commons and non-invasive to the experience here at ccMixter.

We’d love to see more folks join ccPlus — we believe this program will not only help sustain ccMixter and the artists, but help educate and differentiate between the various types of CC licenses.

There is more to come on this subject in a State of ccMixter Forum post we’re working on to share this weekend.

Thank you for your input!

permalink   Shelflife Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 4:40 PM
Firstly thanks for your clarifying of everything and no problem in moving the post. I was not aware about the CC licence restriction on advertising. Also my post was never meant as a critiscism of yourself or all the other good people who spend so much time and effort on CCM. As you say in your replies to try and run a site like this on so little is amazing!

CCM does appear from what I gather from various posts here get a lot of visitors but you would never think so if you look at the few people who comment even when you consider time factors and language barriers.

I really do think you need to update its image. This does not mean you have to lose its integrity but the visitor is much more discerning now and expects a visual experience combined with ease of navigation. The site needs to be approachable. At the moment it looks like a scientific document!

Take a look at the following. I am not judging them editorally just visually.

https://www.indabamusic.com/

http://www.apogeedigital.com/

http://saatchi.com/en-us/

Before anyone says “yes but these companies have loads of money to create sites like this”, I would point out you can achieve similar results for little outlay. The real secret to these sites is not money but imagination.

As to the advertising I still think its the way to go. People are living in a dream world if they believe a CCM licence restriction will stop people using there stuff comercially. Sure if a major company started using my music without consent I would be pretty annoyed but it would not happen. They would contact the originator and discuss it. The majority of people who use the music just slap it on some home made video and get on with life. There is so much out there on the web who knows what’s happening.

If the CCM restriction means the main site can never advertise then I say drop it!! Despite comments from my peers you cannot exsist in an exciting and viable way without it unless you have kind hearted souls who will put there hands in their pockets to sustain it.

Judging by the funds response I would say the future is already written. Move in a new direction or keep using the begging bowl!!

I raise my points now as I feel you have started something with your fundraising that irrispective of the final amount achieved needs to be continued.

Those who feel everything should be left alone will if CCM fails find themselves scouring the net for other sites to upload too. But guess what there is nowhere like CCM!

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 4:51 PM
Thanks for your kind words! Your support and participation is so appreciated. And we definitely know our website’s look isn’t the most friendly (total science experiment indeed!).

Let’s face it though. The sites you reference all have full-time, dedicated employees on salary and funding for their operational needs. From what I recall, initially Indaba raised a few million in funding and had a full-time staff that built their website. It’s rather amazing ccMixter is considered in the same circles as our counterparts given the radical difference in funds and personnel available. That says something quite special about our music and community, don’t you think?

Part of our goal with raising $44k was to update the site UI. We need resources to do that. Are you a coder? Because we have not yet raised money to hire someone to help us with this endeavor, developers can help contribute their coding skills here: http://github.com/go1dfish/...

Cheers!

permalink   Shelflife Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 5:03 PM
I added to the post as you replied so take another read.

No fortunately I am not a coder. How can people do that work but thank God they do!!

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 12:06 PM
thanks for letting me know you added more to your post. i’m curious, have you been involved in website design? perhaps if you have the imagination and ability, you’d want to help us redesign the ccMixter homepage? we’ve also thought of having a “Help us Design ccMixte’rs homepage” project where the community is invited to contribute.

i currently do most of the HTML for the site and admittedly, it is not my strong suit. i do what i can and that is quite a bit of work for me already :) we welcome new design input, but that then needs to be coded. ccM relies on templates that the entire site is built upon, so any new design or UI would need to be coded within that existing framework (not as easy as you might imagine).

a note, redesigning the entire ccMixter website is a very big undertaking. there are thousands of pages and interfaces to consider. we have slowly begun this process at dig.ccMixter.org (thank you go1dfish) and hope to use our experience and code there to port to ccMixter’s new design eventually. we’ve bumped up against some unexpected issues, so want to iron those out at dig first.

this forum post has inspired us to share a dynamic list of items that ccM needs help with. perhaps since we seem to be falling short of our funding goals, others will be able to help us with volunteer service instead?

we’re also actively exploring targeted sponsorship of future remix events as well as non-invasive ads on dig.ccMixter.org, where folks outside our community find our music, and where growth has quadrupled in the last 3 years.

just a reminder - one of the main reasons we need funding is because dig.ccMixter is growing so fast. this means people outside our community are finding and using our music more than ever. we want to support that growth as best we’re able. and give ourselves a facelift too :) we’ll get there! i have faith.

permalink   Shelflife Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 5:55 PM
My only experience with web design is purely from a user point of view and what I have picked up from reading stuff on the web so I am afraid that whilst woffling on with my advice I could do little to help on the technical side. I know there are small web design companies that produce packages that can be adjusted to suit the customers ideas but whether or not any of these would work and be cost effective would have to be investigated further.

If direct advertising remains a problem maybe an approach to companies to act as sponsors would work. Below I list some that may be interested.

Motu
http://www.motu.com/

Native Instruments
http://www.native-instrumen...

Steven Slate
www.stevenslate.com

Addictive Drums
www.xlnaudio.com/

Cable Guys
www.cableguys.de

Sweetwater
www.sweetwater.com

Izotope
www.izotope.com

IK Multimedia
www.ikmultimedia.com

Celemony
www.celemony.com

Avid
www.avid.com

Apogee
www.apogeedigital.com

Korg
www.korg.com

Yamaha
www.yamahaproaudio.com

Mackie
www.mackie.com

Possibles!!
Bill Gates
Warren Buffet
Richard Branson
That Russian guy who owns Chelsea Football club

I’m only half joking!

KVR Audio www.kvraudio.com is a site that has all the latest news from just about every music company on the planet so there are a lot more to look at here.

I have included a few big names but the reality is that most music companies are now having to refocus their marketing to more of the prosumer market as the days of the big studios is over for the most part.

The rise in the use of ipads and even iphones to make music has got just about everybody scrambling to make software and hardware for these devices and they are generally being used by bedroom producers.

I believe there is is a definite need on the part of these type of companies to get their brands noticed more and CCM could be the platform they require.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 8:38 AM
I think this is an important conversation to have, so thank you for bringing it up.

My impression is that most users of ccMixter have not had to opportunity to understand what it takes to keep ccMixter going — even at the basic level that it operates. It seems that Snowflake has explained some of what ccM has been faced with in terms of functioning, and even growing, with the limited resources available to it — both financially and in terms of man-power to keep the site going. Remarkably, despite the fact that ccM has been operating on a shoestring budget with only a volunteer crew, as a community, ccMixter has flourished.

It is this growth that incepted the fundraiser. It is apparent that certain improvements are in order — not only to improve the experience of interacting with the site — but also to be able to deal with the rapidly expanding ways in which our content is being utilized. Our “features” and “bug” forums are full of suggestions, comments and issues that merit being addressed. And while ccM could ostensibly continue to exist as it has, it does seem like there is some agreement that these types of improvements would be a good thing.

Not having advertising on the site is so refreshing! But ccM needs to develop ways of sustaining itself. So how do we do this while honoring ccM’s commitment to maintaining its integrity as a creative space? I think the idea of sponsorship or patronage is interesting. Sponsorship, patronage, grants are recognized sources for funding for arts organizations. I think ccMixter falls in that category. It is a rare cultural gem — I have yet to come across anything similar in terms of providing this kind of space for creative interaction. I have visited some other remix sites/communities, and find ccMixter to be uniquely robust with a distinct creative orientation that not only provides space for individual expression, but maintains a focus toward community building and collaboration. ccM doesn’t need to be edified — but it does deserve to be supported in ways that other arts institutions are supported, and that includes through sponsorship and patronage. (Although, obtaining sponsorships, patrons and grants is a full-time job in and of itself — anyone here a grant writer?)

This is an interesting time for ccMixter as we enter into the next decade of its existence. I look forward to seeing how it evolves, as I continue to be grateful that ccMixter exists, and that I found my way here.
chaosdan
permalink   Sat, Nov 8, 2014 @ 5:07 AM
I think I might be able to help with design/coding… Snowflake, I’ve just messaged you.
duckett
permalink   Mon, Nov 17, 2014 @ 6:13 AM
OK, now that I’ve read through the thread, some thoughts:

10 years does make a difference, and the “whole new realm of possibility” feeling
that was still in the air when ccMixter was born has given way to a much more jaundiced view…
artists hoping to give their careers a bump now have more than a few commercial/monetized sites
to host “remix contests”, complete with product tie-ins.. I’m not trying to be gloom-and-doom,
just highlighting a factor to consider.

To me, the absolute #1 factor for ccMixter has been and will always be VISIBILITY.
Maybe the infrastructure in its current state couldn’t handle a 10x increase in traffic, but wouldn’t that be a great problem to have?

Sometimes I wonder (in jest) if ccMixter hasn’t become almost like an ideal vacation spot:
“Don’t blab unless you want the hordes to show up and ruin everything!”
I do NOT think any form of advertising is necessary to get things to where they need to be,
but maybe it’s time to call some heavy hitters on the carpet that have been involved in the past,
and ask them to at least plug for us.. warm fuzzies are great, but sometimes a little feistiness goes a long way.
Look at Cyndi Lauper- doing what she wants to do, and succeeding wildly at it!

Again, I don’t have all the answers- but being “the best-kept secret for original music online” is NOT doing it.
ccMixter was, is, and will be like nothing else out there!

Get proud! Get a lil’ rowdy ‘bout it!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 19, 2014 @ 9:51 PM
Quote: duckett
Again, I don’t have all the answers- but being “the best-kept secret for original music online” is NOT doing it.
ccMixter was, is, and will be like nothing else out there!

Get proud! Get a lil’ rowdy ‘bout it!

I love this!!

Great ideas. We’ve contacted a few of our founders (Lessig, Creative Commons) and early supporters and they’ve helped us with some social media (Lessig even made $100 donation). But we can always step that up and expand.
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Mon, Nov 17, 2014 @ 11:16 AM
I have to admit I would never have thought the cost of just running ccM as-is amounted to $40k/year if nobody is getting paid to update and maintain it.

Perhaps I’m a bit naive in this regard but I have a hard time seeing what the major components of those “basic expenses” would be other than renting the servers that are hosting the site itself. And I’m totally ballparking here, but I’d guess the servers should cost several hundred per month… or at most maybe $1000/month if the storage/bandwidth are significantly higher than what I’m guessing. But that’s still a long way from $40k/yr. Maybe I’m missing something?
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Nov 17, 2014 @ 11:32 PM
I just wrote a very long, detailed, frustrated response. But I’ve deleted it.

I’m going to sleep on it and try respond consciously, instead of reactively.

Thanks for your patience.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Tue, Nov 18, 2014 @ 6:25 AM
Just to be clear, I hope my comment wasn’t taken as any kind of attack or accusation. My sincere apologies, Emily, if it came across that way. As I’ve said before I have a very soft spot for ccM and its vision.

My comment comes more from a place of wondering if there are some inefficiencies in ccM’s operations where the admins aren’t aware of an alternative and that the community could advise on. For example, if web servers really are the biggest chunk of that $40k/year for whatever reason, then I would probably ask if Amazon Web Services has been investigated to see if that might be a cheaper option than whatever the current setup is.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Nov 18, 2014 @ 9:32 PM
Thanks Clarence. I appreciate you clarifying. It means a lot.

ccMixter’s Admins, and Alex and I, all work for free. That doesn’t mean there are no costs to operate this company. ccMixter is much more than a few servers running in a datacenter.

The code is being and has been maintained. We may not be rolling out new designs and features, but the code has required a lot of work behind the scenes to keep the site functioning. If we weren’t working on fixes and updates, ccMixter would not be running at all. Sometimes we’ve had to contract people to help. (People always work for us in barter or barebones rates)

We rewrote the entire dig.ccMixter.org website this year because the library it was using was no longer supported. Alex did most of that work for free, and it was a HUGE job, but we did have to get some other help and have to pay monthly for help with some of that code that we weren’t able to fix on our own. Dig is where ccMixter’s growth has been the biggest so it’s a lot to keep up with.

We have modest G&A costs that most companies have on a far grander scale. We pay a monthly book-keeper, pay a CPA to file our taxes, file yearly statements of information and LLC fees, pay for accounting software, a PO Box, digital fax line, etc. All necessary for us to do bare minimum business. I would be shocked if there is any other company of our comparable size doing it as cheaply and efficiently as we are.

We’ve changed our servers and database plan at least twice in the past couple of years — all so we could get these monthly costs lower. Transferring all of our files and information has not been just an automated task, and the last change we made took us 9 months of troubleshooting to recover from (some bugs we’ve still not been able to solve). We want and need to do this again, to see if we can reduce our server costs and get more bandwidth and update our technology. Our datacenter is the cheapest we’ve found (cheaper than Amazon). Yep, this is part of what we’re trying to raise funds for.

We use Amazon for back-ups. And for ccPlus. That also has monthly cost.

We’ve built an entirely automated new platform, ccPlus, in hopes that that will help ccMixter artists, many whom have written us dozens of times complaining how other people are monetizing their NC content. We also hope it will generate a little money to support ccMixter. We worked on that for a few years, and it took other outside help along with full-time donated hours from Alex, Jason and me. Susan, Kara, Richard, and Robert have also helped a great deal.

We’ve had to hire the occasional graphic designer. We’ve had to hire lawyers. We hired someone (very cheaply) to help us with our social media for the fundraiser. We’ve printed CDs and TShirts — all with the aim of finding ways to generate funds to support ccMixter through the process. I could go on and on. Other details are listed on the IndieGoGo Campaign page under Our Funding Goals if you want more.

Our first year of operations, there were 6 employees. We took out a few modest loans just to cover expense reimbursement related directly to all of those good folks working-full time without pay. Because we didn’t receive larger funding as we’d hoped (due to our principles, economic climate, market’s fear of digital music), three of those good folks had to leave us after the first year because they could no longer afford to work without pay. Now it’s down to me full-time and Alex part-time. Without pay. And Susan works at least a dozen hours a week, without pay.

I can’t afford to work full-time without pay anymore. And I need help to keep up. More is being demanded me of every day with our growth and as our music becomes more widely used around the web. More and more musicians write me each day with needs, input, ideas, frustrations — I try to respond to everyone. I research and issue TakeDown Notices to iTunes, Amazon, Routnote, etc. and an array of issues at YouTube (improper uses of work, proper uses of work that receive unwarranted takedown notices from YouTube, etc.) I work diligently to foster our partnerships with folks at Jamdendo, FMA, Creative Commons, SoundCloud, and YouTube. Each day we delete spam, answer help email, monitor the forums, approve track-backs, monitor uploads, and sign-ups. (Speck and short hopper help us monitor spam too - thanks guys). We answer dozens of requests for licenses and we’re trying to build-out ccPlus. We’re constantly working to develop engaging remix events, find new partners and new opportunities. We curate albums, playlists, and podcasts to share. We manage a group of social media accounts. We have accounting and royalty reports that need to be written so we can pay out ccPlus, Jamendo Pro and album earnings to artists (all be relatively humble). Susan and I have a planning call at least once a week, but usually twice and during this fundraiser, much more. For the last three months, I’ve had a weekly planning call with Kara. Alex and I have weekly online meetings. Admiral Bob helps fix and update code. Robert helps with legal jargon. Jeris built our Pinterest page. Loveshadow and Kara are working on our video presence on the web. Copperhead masters albums for free so we can try to generate some revenue to make ccMixter self-sustaining.

There is more. The point is, WE NEED TO HIRE PEOPLE. Tomorrow, we could hire 3 developers, a graphic designer, a customer service rep, an artist relations rep, a business development person, a full-time accountant, a sales & marketing person and operations manager, and ALL would start with a huge work load. If we all want ccMixter to be the site it is capable of being, of what it deserves to be, we will need to operate with a budget much like the FMA which is $2M a year. The small company I ran before ArtisTech Media had a budget of $4M a year - with 8 employees. The Creative Commons has a budget of $6M a year, and when ccMixter was under its umbrella, Victor was on salary (albeit modest).

We’re not being greedy or inefficient. Far, far from it. If anything, we’ve been too self-sacrificing and unbelievably efficient. In some ways I regret it, because I don’t feel appreciated for my personal sacrifices. I’ve put in what was left of my life savings into ccMixter after the 2008 crash, and nearly lost my house, because I was working a full-time job without pay here.

I’d like to humbly ask, we need real help, not more suggestions. So, roll-up your sleeves (thank you Victor, Martyn, Daniel, Tom, Heiko)! If you’re interested, here is a list of projects that we’re working on: Jumping in and volunteering for one of these will be far more helpful (and less stressful ) to us than criticism.

Alas, I LOVE ccMixter. Truly. So I’m still working all kinds of crazy hours (just ask my husband) and I’m not giving up (yet). I’m exploring gear and DAW sponsorships, support and projects with universities, grants, ads on dig.ccMixter and getting more of our ccPlus music licensed so everyone benefits. It’s a monumental task, but I’m still pushing.

We have something completely original and unique here at ccMixter. Like Clarence, ccM holds a very special place in my heart. (Why else would I do all of this crazy shit?).

Change is the only constant. Let’s do it together. An entirely new possibility awaits. Peace.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Tue, Nov 18, 2014 @ 10:49 PM
Thanks for this post! It really sheds a lot of light on the inner workings of ccM that we don’t typically see.

I also completely understand being past the “advice stage” and into the “we just need help stage”. So, I’ll withhold any further “Have you thought about…” comments. It’s an almost reflexive habit of mine, unfortunately.

As for volunteering, it would be hard to work any kind of regular commitment into my current schedule… but I’d be happy to jump in on some tasks that might fall under a “just do whatever you can, whenever you can” category if that would be helpful. I’m guessing stuff where it’s a steady stream of small tasks (like approving trackbacks, monitoring forums/email, etc.) might fit that description?

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 19, 2014 @ 9:45 PM
Thanks so much for understanding and for your support and dedication to ccMixter.

Perhaps you could help by finding/posting Trackbacks now and then? When you find ccMixter tracks used on YouTube, post a trackback on the ccM songpage (if there isn’t one already). That helps us know where our music is used, and gives us a chance to write those creators and encourage Attribution (or post our own) when it hasn’t been included.

One way I’ve done this is searchig “ccMixter” on YouTube, and a long list of tracks that somehow include ccMixter (tag, Attribution, text, etc.) Suggested similar tracks that appear may have the same song title or artist, but don’t actually include ccMixter text or a tag or even include the ccM artist name, but don’t link back to ccMixter….try it with your own track titles if you feel like it, and let me know what you find. You may be surprised how many people are using your music! :)

Thanks again Clarence. Your support for this fundraiser is very appreciated.

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Nov 20, 2014 @ 10:34 PM
Emily — thank you for sharing in so much detail what it takes to operate ccM, and for being open about where you are at. Despite being so involved with ccM, there are aspects of running ccM on your list that were simply not in my awareness. You and Alex have done so much work behind the scenes , that when you lay it out like this it is pretty amazing given the resources available. You have worked very hard to develop ccMixter, and I think the growth of ccM and dig reflect that.

Thank you for taking stewardship of ccMixter when you did. Your commitment to maintaining ccM’s vision, community and integrity has allowed us to grow creatively in ways that I never could have imagined. I think ccMixter is an amazing creative collective. It’s a workshop where we get to practice. It’s a showcase venue. It’s a powerful communal voice when we come together to express common themes that inspire us — from The White Cube to Emergence to Freedom to Share. In my heart, ccMixter is a cultural jewel.

ccMixter is unique because it is a non-commercial creative community that, unwittingly, and not by design, has ended up being engaged with a commercial world as our content is used outside of license terms, either with or without permission. That has created the need to develop a way to manage that. The cc-plus license is a means of addressing this issue in a positive way. Thank you for helping to bring that to ccMixter.

You have given a lot to ccMixter — on every level from emptying your bank accounts to sharing your music. And while we talk to each other a lot (especially during the fundraiser), I want to say thank you here because ccM is what brought us together. Thank you.

permalink   Shelflife Sat, Nov 22, 2014 @ 4:50 AM
Well I certainly got things stirred up!!

I am going to say this for the last time as I feel honour bound and all that but please go down the advertising and serious sponsorship road as I can see no other way other than by relying on peoples generosity to solve CCMixters financial woes.

I have read the discussion here but noone has another realistic and more immediate answer.

Oh and by the way Emily many thanks for all your efforts and for hanging on in there when many others would have thrown in the towel!!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 19, 2014 @ 9:48 PM
Thanks Colab. This model is being considered, it just takes a quit a bit more programming (adding a shopping cart with secure checkout, SSL, etc.) than ads. Alas, we won’t be adding ads to ccMixter.org. But we are exploring specific sponsors for remix events.

permalink   mwic Fri, Apr 17, 2015 @ 7:10 AM
Wow, I was away for a bit and missed a lot of excitement. Just would like to chime in:

Quote: colabif they want to upload more, they have to contribute $X per month or year.

Maybe it’s just me but this seems 100% upside down. People who contribute more pay more?
addseo1118
permalink   Tue, May 12, 2015 @ 12:23 AM
Thanks for your opinions. Glad to see you here.