Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Still confused after a year on CCMixter.

Still confused after a year on CCMixter.

Disaster of Music
permalink   Wed, Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:17 AM
I just don’t get it. The interface of this site is just awful, and it seems like the site doesn’t even follow its own rules. For instance, I go under the “Samples” tab and there is another tab below it for “Full Mixes”, yet I don’t see a way to upload a full mix, but they’re there. Then there are all the remixes that are located under the samples category, then there’s the fact that the majority of “A Cappellas” have backing tracks. Is this site not moderated, or just plain broken? It just feels like total anarchy.
Speck
permalink   Thu, Feb 6, 2014 @ 3:47 AM
The remixes in the samples category are uploads that also include a separate file or files of original samples used in the remix. Same with the acapellas, they were uploaded with a backing track but the separate acapella track is also available. You just have to go to the song page to get it.

As for the full mixes under the sample tab - can’t help you there, I have no idea what that’s about. Doesn’t bother me though. Is it a perfect site? No. Is it the best place on the web for sharing, hearing and collaborating with a wide range of music-minded individuals with little or no bitching? In my experience, yes.

permalink   Disaster of Music Thu, Feb 6, 2014 @ 7:51 AM
I think I figured out what is going on. The full mixes under the sample category are because , like a cappellas, those remixes were uploaded with samples. I think it would make more sense if the samples category would actually pull the sample from the collective work that we marked as a “Sample” when we uploaded it. Instead it just plays the main file.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Feb 10, 2014 @ 1:42 PM
Sorry you don’t like the interface. We are all volunteers here and are doing our best. We appreciate your feedback and hope you can overlook our warts and appreciate the amazing community and music experience. Cheers.

permalink   fluffy Sat, Mar 22, 2014 @ 2:17 PM
Quote: snowflakeSorry you don’t like the interface. We are all volunteers here and are doing our best. We appreciate your feedback and hope you can overlook our warts and appreciate the amazing community and music experience. Cheers.
It took me a while to feel like bothering with uploading stuff to ccMixter because the UI is so screwy, but then I’ve come to realize that it also makes a nice barrier to entry for people who just want to spam this place with nonsense.

I do wish it were easier to upload multiple files at once, though, and it would be REALLY nice if a file’s name reflected its original name instead of (or in addition to) the collection it’s from. Maybe naming them something like:

23465_vocal_dry.flac

where 23465 is the source ID. This would also make it a lot easier to keep track of which sources you’re actually using, for when you upload the remix.

The “nickname” field is kinda-sorta helpful for browsing samples, but still makes using them a bit more obnoxious than necessary when it comes time to actually tag what you used in a mix. Frankly, this is a big part of why I haven’t uploaded any mixes yet - it’s just so annoying to keep track of sources!

Also if you could listen to an mp3 streaming preview of .flac files, and preview files that are inside a .zip, even better. :)

permalink   unreal_dm Tue, Feb 11, 2014 @ 4:23 AM
The interface may seem a bit strange at first but it does work really well once you get used to it. All I can say is that I’ve made 484 uploads over the last five years and I’ve never had a problem with it.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Wed, Mar 26, 2014 @ 6:53 AM
Re the full mixes: those come from a time when the site allowed people to upload premixed songs without including the parts. The material is still on the site (which is why it is still listed), but no new content of this type may be added.

Re the pieces loaded as acapellas, but where there are accompaniments in what you hear.

It is possible for an artist at ccMixter to include songs that have both vocal and instrumental stems. The way artists here usually do that is to upload the stems, and then upload a preview.

Personally, I find hearing how the artist intended the song to go is useful to listen to. Nothing about this commits you to doing it the way the artist did, but you may hear things in the accompaniment that may be useful to you, in addition to the vocals. Most remixers tend to prefer it this way, as the preview is the only way that you can, in one listen, hear everything that is available in the downloads.

If you do not, the solution is this: click on “Download” which will pop open a list of links. One or more of the links will be called “vocals” or “accapella” or something like that, as an MP3. Click that file open, and you can hear the raw parts, as opposed to the preview.