Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » So how do you pay the bills?

So how do you pay the bills?

Clarence Simpson
permalink   Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 7:50 PM
I’m curious of the other mixers in the community and what you all do as your “day job”. I’m sure we have a handful of music professionals among us, but I’m guessing that for most of us this is just a hobby for now.

I’ll start. I’m currently a domestic engineer (AKA - stay-at-home dad). Until June of this year I had been a software engineer for a video game company, but then we had a round of layoffs and I’ve been home ever since. So, technically, to answer my own question, right now I don’t pay the bills, my wife does. :)

So, anybody want to satisfy my curiosity?
Admiral Bob
permalink   Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 7:52 PM
Software developer.

I was once a professional musician, as in that’s all I did.

But I like eating.

permalink   Abstract Audio Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 12:37 AM
And what do you develop?
Abstract Audio
permalink   Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 12:36 AM
No I can’t I’m unemployed. And the problem is i’m not really the only one. A lot of people lost there job after the crisis and now the goverment has to econemize, so there will be more people fighting for the same job.
And without a finished education or a drivers license I’m not the most first choice. Thank god i’m living in holland with a reasenable benefit system.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:27 PM
These are tough times all around. If time is being given to you to make music, perhaps that is a gift wrapped in strange, albeit trying and difficult, circumstance?

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Nov 14, 2010 @ 5:42 AM
Yes you’re right and the fact of the matther is I have around 50 years of work ahead of me (I’m 26). So at the moment I’m enjoying every free moment, feels a bit like i am subsidized musician.
AT
permalink   Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 10:57 AM
I work in design for the Smithsonian. Interesting place to work.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 11:04 AM
Ah nice! My wife and I were just in the Smithsonian about a week ago when we visited DC. She wanted to go see the Hope Diamond, but we got there about 5 minutes before closing and one of the workers wouldn’t let us upstairs that late. :(

permalink   AT Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 11:08 AM
Quote: Clarence SimpsonAh nice! My wife and I were just in the Smithsonian about a week ago when we visited DC. She wanted to go see the Hope Diamond, but we got there about 5 minutes before closing and one of the workers wouldn’t let us upstairs that late. :(

Yeah—they can be mean when they want to go home—-my office is in the basement of Natural History—-stop by for coffee next time.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Nov 13, 2010 @ 8:06 PM
I worked for the Getty Museum (the Villa) at one point in my life in the paintings conservation department. I am not a painting conservator. I was their assistant. I got the job because I spoke Italian (much of it long forgotten by now). My office was formerly one of the coach houses on the property. I had little to do so I read a lot of books (I recall reading “Songlines” by Bruce Chatwin ad “Labyrinth” by Borges while working there) and listening to Van Morrison, while looking out the french windows of my office that overlooked an odd circular fountain that featured monkeys.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:28 PM
The Getty, Huntington Library, and Norton Simon Museum were my clients while in Los Angeles! Working daily at museums, of such beauty, was amazing! I miss that…
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:24 PM
What are your favorite programming languages?

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:25 PM
Sorry, for Clarence. Sat night with too much wine…..

permalink   Clarence Simpson Mon, Nov 15, 2010 @ 11:22 AM
PHP is definitely my favorite for server-side web programming.

For general software development, I have the most experience in C plus plus (hmm… typing 2 plus symbols in a row gets filtered out for some reason), but for my tastes Java handles things a little more nicely than C plus plus.

I also have recently been teaching myself Python which I like a lot so far, especially for making prototypes very quickly.
vo1k1
permalink   Sun, Nov 14, 2010 @ 7:26 AM
Good thread and interesting responses! Software developer here also (for the last couple of years, for an alternative investment firm). Prior to that, I’ve been fortunate (or unfocused) enough to have able to participate in dot com, computer game, digital audio, and commercial music startups. Hit and miss financially, but a big success intellectually and emotionally. I do miss working on music more often, but will continue that thought in the ccmixter thread.
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Nov 15, 2010 @ 1:22 PM
I am an attorney, who handles cases involving commercial litigation and troubled insurance companies.
Blake
permalink   Mon, Nov 15, 2010 @ 1:29 PM
Parents ha… I’m in high school

permalink   Blake Mon, Nov 15, 2010 @ 1:30 PM
I make some money by umpiring at little league, though. :)

permalink   Clarence Simpson Mon, Nov 15, 2010 @ 3:35 PM
Man, I knew you were young from your previous pic but I didn’t know you were that young!

You have a great musical ear for someone of any age… that much more so for someone as young as you. Keep at it sir!

Disclaimer: Keep in mind it’s pretty tough to make a career out of music so stay in school too ;)

permalink   Blake Wed, Nov 17, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
Thank you! Yep, school is my #1 priority right now.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Fri, Nov 19, 2010 @ 10:29 AM
Wednesday I’m gonna start my trial days at a local tv station. Came there to ask if they where interested in my music (they where) but when they found out I hade some experiance from an unfinished education (1) they asked if I was interested to come and work there. It’s a very small station and it’s an unpayed job but its a nice opportunity.

1 I forgot the right english term for this, when I translated it from dutch it said training but its a bit longer then that. The 4 years after high school.
Vidian
permalink   Sat, Nov 27, 2010 @ 12:18 AM
lol I work at a Cosmic bowling ally! :D
essesq
permalink   Sat, Nov 27, 2010 @ 10:04 PM
I am a lawyer specializing in family law: divorces, custody and the like. I recently started my own practice which is probably one of the best decisions I ever made.
John Pazdan
permalink   Tue, Dec 21, 2010 @ 3:47 PM
I am a musician and composer. Lately that sounded like “I am a blacksmith” but..now that all recorded music everywhere all the time is 100 percent FREE as in Free Beer, I am starting to understand that being a performing musician is the only way to make a living. Unless you do work for hire, and I don’t go there. And unlike the the Admiral, I manage to eat too.

I have done this since 1972 btw. gosh, that’s a long fucking time.

Good to see all the lawyers and IT workers here. I love hobbyists and dilettantes. I myself have negotiated music bizz contracts, and even represented myself in a $10K lawsuit..and won! I sorta look at the Law and IT work as something of a hobby..what fun.
debbizo
permalink   Sun, Mar 13, 2011 @ 4:37 AM
I’m a Librarian, currently managing the cataloguing and acquisitions departments. Previously, I provided lectures and training sessions (on library and research skills) to nursing and midwifery students at uni. And a while back I was a paralegal in a large law firm - Data Management Services and Evidence Room Coordinator.