Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » I'm Looking For CC-Licensed Lossless Multisamples

I'm Looking For CC-Licensed Lossless Multisamples

DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Dec 31, 2008 @ 9:48 AM
I decided some time ago that my next album was only going to be constructed from Creative Commons or Public Domain samples and synthesis, with the occasional live part from myself or someone else. In other words: no commercial sample libraries. No samples that aren’t freely redistributable.

Without going into the specifics of why (it’s because I want to be able to distribute the complete multitracks without any hassles… oh) this has left me with something of a deficit in my music-box. There are a lot of things you can’t fake with synths.

So far I’ve found the rather great Yamaha piano samples from OLPC (with a very handy soundfont) and there are some interesting ones over on freesound like this Toy Glockenspiel, but beyond that I don’t really have much of anything or any idea of where to look. Thus: this post. Know of any good (or bad) CC-licensed lossless multisamples floating around anywhere?
teru
permalink   Wed, Dec 31, 2008 @ 11:21 AM
Two sources I can think of - iBeat, audiocookbook
John Pazdan
permalink   Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 10:07 AM
what kind of sounds are you looking for? (see instrument to the left…)

permalink   gmz Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 7:56 AM
Quote: John Pazdanwhat kind of sounds are you looking for? (see instrument to the left…)

speaking for myself, I think good basslines and samples are probably the hard thing to find or synth without having a “plastic” sound. as difficult as finding a good bass player here in italy :)

permalink   John Pazdan Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 8:06 AM
Have bass and synth..will travel..I often play for free..don’t eat much..
Italy sounds good..
Spain sounds good…Den Hague sounds good..London..Paris…knock knock knock..
DJ Rkod
permalink   Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 12:49 PM
Essentially what I said — “stuff that’s hard to synthesize.” Stringed instruments are particularly difficult, so are guitars, (especially acoustic guitars) horns and woodwinds. High quality, lots of notes preferred.

iBeats is quite a good site but not exactly what I had in mind.