Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » how to be a professional musician?

how to be a professional musician?

Chandan Boruah
permalink   Thu, Nov 29, 2007 @ 8:18 AM
My father literally jumps with anger when I sit to make music.He thinks I cant make it in this field. He wants me to do well in studies(which I am already doing) .It is becoming very difficult for me to work in these circumstances. What do I do? Please help. I want to become a professional singer and musician. (I have three of musician friends but they are not very interested except one of them.)I am new in this ,do I have to go make records to make a living or is there any other way out? I think if I can make some money with songs I make then my father will be happy and allow me bit.
plurgid
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 1:44 PM
Well … being as I work in the Information Security field professionally, I can tell you it’s 5 billion percent more likely that you’ll end up finding gainful employment as a result of screwing around trying to figure out how computer viruses work, than by screwing around figuring out how Ableton works.

That’s just the way it is, one industry (information security) is swimming in cash right now, and the other (music industry) is trying to figure out how to co-exist with the internet and survive into the next decade.

Do this. Go to amazon and look at the CD selection. There is a nearly infinite selection of professionally produced music out there. Most of it took mountains of cash to produce, involving really expensive equipment most of us will never touch, professional producers, and entire buildings full of marketing people, and this industry is fighting to stay alive (at least in it’s current form).

It’s like this. Do music because you love it. Because you love the art. Because it’s something in your soul that needs to come out.

Don’t do it ‘cause you want to be a rock star, because your chances of winning the lottery are far, far better … and that’s if you’re really really good.

There’s plenty of time in this life to both have a career, and to pursue your artistic goals.

Find a balance and do both, but don’t expect your art to put food on the table.
teru
permalink   Thu, Nov 29, 2007 @ 10:09 AM
I’m not a professional and I don’t really have an answer for you. I just wanted to make sure someone answered your question. It is very sincere and deserves a sincere reply.

I’m sorry your father feels that way. But he is probably very wise. There are no simple answers to making money from music. Especially these days where even well known professionals are unsure of where their revenue comes from.

I would love to tell you that dedication to your craft and hard work will ensure your success but in reality even some of the most devoted and talented musicians struggle to gain exposure.

Of course this does not mean one shouldn’t try. And who knows? In this internet age - anything can happen. For example this guy released a song under a Creative Commons license, uploaded a video to YouTube and now he is making a commercial for Dr. Pepper.
spinmeister
permalink   Thu, Nov 29, 2007 @ 12:07 PM
making music is definitely better than writing computer viruses.
victor
permalink   Thu, Nov 29, 2007 @ 1:53 PM
ccMixter therapy session now in session:

old world dads are a bitch. he’s nervous for you and projecting his fears. fix the thing with him because your profession won’t matter until you do.

VS
DJ Rkod
permalink   Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 12:02 PM
Mafia connections never hurt.

permalink   victor Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 1:06 PM
and if you’re dad is in the mafia even better!

permalink   duckett Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 5:54 PM
!Shhhh… we don’t know what you’re referring to. The mafia’s a myth spread by malcontents…

permalink   Chandan Boruah Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 6:04 PM
I am sorry but I dont understand how this mafia came into discussion. My father loves music but like sir fourstones said he is afraid for my future because he thinks I will not make it in this field. But now I have convinced him and he is allowing me 4 hours every day!!! Because I have promised him that rest of the time I will study. He says that if I keep both lines open then it will be safe.

permalink   victor Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 6:15 PM
(the music industry and mafia have long ties in the US)

It’s great that you could come to an agreement, like I said, fixing it with him is the most important thing.

permalink   Chandan Boruah Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 6:19 PM
Then I think I should quit

permalink   Chandan Boruah Sat, Dec 1, 2007 @ 10:25 PM
Oh, sorry I thought sir fourstone was talking about agreement with mafia(lol).
I feel that all of you are encouraging me .So I will continue with my work and try to get better in this field.

permalink   spinmeister Sun, Dec 2, 2007 @ 12:08 PM
So now I am curious: exactly why do you have virus writing instructions on your non-music page? You may not mean it that way, but it sure doesn’t reflect well on you. There are many more worthwhile topics in computer science. If you want to become a computer security researcher, it would look better on you to publish articles on how to detect and eliminate viruses rather than how to write them.

permalink   Chandan Boruah Sun, Dec 2, 2007 @ 7:24 PM
I write computer virus because I want learn about them. They are like real life viruses but in electronics. That intruiges me because this is the beginning of artificial life( just like first single celled animals came into being in the real world). I wonder how these computer viruses would evolve into higher forms of electronic life…..

permalink   plurgid Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 2:07 PM
Quote: chandubabaThey are like real life viruses but in electronics.

No, they aren’t.
However, if you’re REALLY interested in “electronic evolution”, you’ll find this book very interesting if you have the patience to hang with it.

On the other hand if your really interested in hacking, try this one … that one is HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended if you really want to understand how viruses work.

permalink   spinmeister Sun, Dec 2, 2007 @ 7:38 PM
sigh …