Watch the Songbirds Event Livestream Replay
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » ccMixter BIG Summer Music Fest! is HAPPENING NOW!

ccMixter BIG Summer Music Fest! is HAPPENING NOW!

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 11:50 AM
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE the first

ccMixter BIG Summer Music Fest!

Inspired by the summer music festivals (like Lollapalooza or Coachella or Bonaroo), this remarkable event is a virtual music festival themed Universe of Music. Together here at ccMixter, we will create and share music in a wide variety of genres for various “stages/tents/lounges”, focusing on one genre at time, changing every two weeks.

Never before have we launched a music event this large! We have so much information to share, that we created a separate page filled with details, dates and more — right here.

From May 30 to June 13 we’ll be creating music for the Pleiades Unplugged Lounge, which features acoustic, singer/songwriter, and folk music. Submit pells, samples and remixes in this genre using the BIG Summer Music Fest upload forms - for pells, samples, & remixes.

There are two sets of upload forms for the BIG Summer Music Fest. One set will help build a ccPlus library here at ccMixter. This is completely optional - you can upload pells, samples & remixes outside the ccPlus library for the BIG Summer Music Fest too. Read more about ccPlus here.

We hope you will join in this unique celebration of unity through musical diversity!

BIG Summer Music Fest PELLS, SAMPLES, REMIXES, ALL CONTRIBUTIONS
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 12:45 PM
EVENT CALENDAR

5/30-6/13 - songwriter/unplugged/folk/bluegrass/country
featured in the Pleiades Unplugged Lounge

6/13-6/27 - reggae/funk/blues/jazz/soul/RnB/gospel
featured on the Omega Roots Stage

6/27-7/11 - alternative/rock/pop-rock
playing in the Andromeda Alternative Theatre

7/11-7/25 - ambient/downtempo/groove/chill/experimental/soundscape
sounding off in the Spirograph Soundscape Room

7/25-8/8 - hip hop/triphop/nusoul/nujazz
rumbling on the Hubble Hip-Trip Stage

8/8-8/22 - house/dance/breakbeat/trance/dubstep/dnb, , ,
hardcore/electronic/progressive

soaring in the Deep Space Dance Tent

8/22 - LiveStream on Ryno the Bearded!

permalink   robwalkerpoet Wed, Jul 30, 2014 @ 4:30 AM
Quote: SackJo22EVENT CALENDAR

5/30-6/13 - songwriter/unplugged/folk/bluegrass/country
featured in the Pleiades Unplugged Lounge

6/13-6/27 - reggae/funk/blues/jazz/soul/RnB/gospel
featured on the Omega Roots Stage

6/27-7/11 - alternative/rock/pop-rock
playing in the Andromeda Alternative Theatre

7/11-7/25 - ambient/downtempo/groove/chill/experimental/soundscape
sounding off in the Spirograph Soundscape Room

7/25-8/8 - hip hop/triphop/nusoul/nujazz
rumbling on the Hubble Hip-Trip Stage

8/8-8/22 - house/dance/breakbeat/trance/dubstep/dnb, , ,
hardcore/electronic/progressive
soaring in the Deep Space Dance Tent

8/23-8/27 - LiveStream Vid Performances
back where we started in the Pleiades Unplugged Lounge

8/28-8/30 - culminating in three days of live-streaming all genres!
in The Galaxies Theater
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 12:47 PM
Thank you Susan! This is exciting. Can’t wait to see what we create together this summer. :)
semisweet
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 1:05 PM
Wow, thats going to bee a big fun, isn’t it?
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 1:35 PM
Whoa. This is so awesome! 3 months of musical mayhem? Count me in!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 2:15 PM
((lighters up!!))
ScOmBer
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2014 @ 3:01 PM
wow! love the ccplus innovation. what a cool idea!

permalink   Snowflake Sat, May 31, 2014 @ 9:28 AM
Cool! Glad you like it Scomber. We’ve been dealing with a lot of issues behind the scenes — like people selling our CC BY NC tracks without permission or Attribution, and other folks issuing Take Down Notices to YouTube for folks properly using our music — and an entire range in-between. We are only beginning this new chapter, but hope together we can figure it out :)
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, May 31, 2014 @ 10:15 AM
So exciting to see that uploads are already coming in!

I just want to remind everyone to tag your uploads!

Suggested tags include genre tags (i.e., acoustic, blues, folk, house, ambient, etc.). I also recommend adding the name of the stage (i.e., Pleidaes, Omega, etc.) This will help podcasters and curators find your music!

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Jun 3, 2014 @ 9:29 AM
Although we have the outlined schedule to focus on certain genres, any genre is welcome at any time! :)

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Jun 3, 2014 @ 9:30 AM
Oh, and if you have a pell, sample or remix from the past that you feel would fit any of these “tents” email admin and we’ll tag it for you :)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Jun 4, 2014 @ 3:04 PM
The FMA (Free Music Archive) has just contributed a playlist of tracks for us to remix as part of the ccMixter BIG Summer Music Fest. Now we can Remix the Remix! You can download the FMA tracks at the links here in the post. We will feature this playlist in the Galaxy Theatre on the last three days of the Fest too.

Thanks FMA!!

permalink   copperhead Fri, Jun 20, 2014 @ 12:28 PM
I just listened to some of the tracks but I can’t find individual stems. Are they just full tracks?

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Jun 20, 2014 @ 12:28 PM
Unfortunately, we were just provided with fully mixed tracks from the FMA gang.
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   copperhead Fri, Jun 20, 2014 @ 12:56 PM
Well that’s a bit disappointing. There are plenty of stems at CCmixter.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Jun 6, 2014 @ 9:39 AM
ccMixter Promos

Why do you love ccMixter? Are you digging the BIG Summer Music Fest? Record a 15 to 30 second promo and upload it to be used podcasts and other curations of ccMixter tracks HERE.

Thank you! :)
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Jun 14, 2014 @ 11:37 AM
While all tents are open all the time at the BIG Summer Music Fest, we now turn our attention to the the Omega Roots Stage where blues, jazz, reggae, gospel, soul and RnB will be featured!

Meanwhile, what are some of your favorite tracks to hit the Pleidaes Unplugged Lounge so far?

permalink   Kara Square Sun, Jun 15, 2014 @ 7:49 AM
Oh yeah! I’m ready to hear our Omega Roots!

Just listened to keytronic’s remix of panu-
http://ccmixter.org/files/K...
It’s an instant Pleiades fav for me!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Jun 17, 2014 @ 7:18 AM
As part of our BIG Summer Music Fest we would love to feature some new podcasts — interested in cooking something up? Let the admins know and we’ll see what we can do about featuring it! Need a promo for your podcast — there are some new fun site promos all about the fest (check the pell playlist) that would fit right in!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Jun 21, 2014 @ 4:38 PM
Hey remixers! You can submit your remix to one of the BIG Summer Music Fest tents even if the pella or samples are not from the BIG Summer Music Fest sample pool — that’s ok to do too.
Speck
permalink   Mon, Jun 23, 2014 @ 12:11 PM
Hey I think I mistakenly uploaded a remix ( Ari’s Dada Lobster Dance) with the ccPlus upload page when it should have not been ccPlus, because the samples I used from CSoul weren’t ccPlus (I thought they were but now I see I’m wrong). If I am right that I was wrong can admins remedy that or should I delete and re-upload?

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Jun 23, 2014 @ 12:15 PM
We will take care of it for you. No problem.

permalink   Speck Tue, Jun 24, 2014 @ 3:39 AM
Thank you.
fluffy
permalink   Mon, Jun 30, 2014 @ 4:10 PM
Argh, I keep on missing these things. I wish ccMixter had an RSS feed for community events like this. :/

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Jul 2, 2014 @ 9:05 AM
You’re not too late at all! (and you can subscribe to our RSS feed). This project goes through the end of August…… :)

permalink   fluffy Wed, Aug 6, 2014 @ 12:31 AM
Where’s the RSS feed for events? The front-page RSS feed has no content, and the RSS feed for this entry is just every comment on this entry.

Is there an RSS feed of just the goings-on in the ccMixter world?

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 6, 2014 @ 9:06 AM
hi fluffy,

using the ccMixter API, RSS feeds can be customized to your liking: http://ccmixter.org/query-api

the RSS feed for remixes submitted to the BIG Fest is here http://ccmixter.org/api/que...

hope that helps!

permalink   fluffy Wed, Aug 6, 2014 @ 10:35 AM
Quote: snowflakehi fluffy,

using the ccMixter API, RSS feeds can be customized to your liking: http://ccmixter.org/query-api

the RSS feed for remixes submitted to the BIG Fest is here http://ccmixter.org/api/que...

hope that helps!

I know about the query-API, since it’s linked to on every single page, but I mean I can’t find the appropriate query for just announcements of ccMixter events as a whole. It’s easy to find feeds for things within an event, but I’d like to know that there’s a new event coming up, without having to subscribe to every single post in the forum.

permalink   fluffy Wed, Aug 6, 2014 @ 10:39 AM
Here, maybe this helps describe what I’d like a feed for better:

I want a feed that would have linked to these pages, when they came into existence:

http://ccmixter.org/mixup/w...
http://ccmixter.org/ccmixte...
etc.

Basically, a news feed for the events themselves. There doesn’t seem to be an API to query for event pages.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Jul 1, 2014 @ 9:19 PM
Andromeda stage?

Alright mister sister, I want you to tell me, what do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!!!!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Jul 2, 2014 @ 4:27 PM
we will, we will ROCK YOU!!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Wed, Jul 2, 2014 @ 9:35 AM
I talked about the BIG Summer Music Fest on the really cool ccmusic podcast hosted by Ryno the Bearded. He played a bunch of our tracks too! Ryno is a really cool guy who is a big supporter of cc-licensed music and is totally digging ccmixter!

permalink   Kara Square Wed, Jul 2, 2014 @ 2:40 PM
Great show! You did such an excellent job talking about the ccMBSMF!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Jul 2, 2014 @ 4:26 PM
Great interview Susan. It was so cool hear to talk about ccMixter, and hear ccMixter tracks too. Thanks for your endearing description :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Jul 9, 2014 @ 7:58 PM
You talk faster than I remember. :)

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jul 10, 2014 @ 10:35 AM
:-)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Jul 7, 2014 @ 5:05 PM
The BIG Summer Music Fest has been incredible so far! We can only fit 100 tracks on one playlist (and we’ve had more than 100 remixes and samples uploaded), so we’ve created two playlists for both remixes and samples - sorting by the earliest remixes and most recent remixes and sorting by the earliest samples and most recent samples.

Thank you for creating such incredible music for this project. Please keep it coming! Listening to new uploads is the highlight of my day. :)

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Jul 8, 2014 @ 5:48 AM
Here, here! The music everyone’s makin’ is flippin’ fantastic! How cool that we need multiple playlists… HA! :D
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, Jul 10, 2014 @ 10:43 AM
Everyone is invited to put together BIG Summer Music Fest playlists that will be featured, streamed and shared as part of the big celebration at the end of the fest.

If you create a playlist, include tags — BIG Summer Music Fest, stage names (i.e., Omega, Deep Space, etc.) and any other descriptions.

We encourage you to include a description that tells us about how you made your selections.

You can include promos ( site promos here and event promos here).

And if you are inspired, you can turn your playlist into a podcast with introductions, narration, interviews, descriptions, attributions — whatever inspires you!

And be sure to let the admins know that you created the playlist.

permalink   Mind Map That Music Map Podcast Sun, Jul 20, 2014 @ 1:51 PM
How about a MMTMMP playlist for each room? :D They’re all a work in progress until the ccM BIG Fest commences, but they’ve already got some gems!

MMTMMP Pleiades Lounge
MMTMMP Omega Roots Stage
MMTMMP Andromeda Theatre
MMTMMP Spirograph Soundscape Room
MMTMMP Hubble Hip-Trip Stage
MMTMMP Deep Space Dance Tent

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Jul 23, 2014 @ 5:46 PM
this is great Kara — I’ve been doing some curating as well — there is so much great music from this event — it truly is a universe worth of music!

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Jul 25, 2014 @ 9:32 AM
Right on! There IS a universe of music… pretty flippin’ amazing. Best. Project. Eva’.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:11 PM
these are so great Kara!
robwalkerpoet
permalink   Wed, Jul 30, 2014 @ 4:33 AM
Hi Susan,
I keep trying to upload a (ccplus) remix I’ve done & the ‘upload’ button is grayed out. What am I doing wrong?!

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Jul 30, 2014 @ 11:01 AM
I’m not sure. I’ll ask one of our tech saavy admins to look into.

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Jul 30, 2014 @ 11:20 AM
Did you specify the source files? The only thing I know of that greys out the upload button is when you haven’t yet picked your remixed artist(s.)

permalink   robwalkerpoet Wed, Jul 30, 2014 @ 3:26 PM
Thanks Susan & Bob. I’ve uploaded Doxent’s remix now. Possibly I forgot to include Source material after the first attempt? I’m not sure - but it’s all good now. Thanks for your help,
rob
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Aug 2, 2014 @ 6:00 PM
The ccMixter Summer BIG Fest has been incredible so far. There have been more than 200 remixes, more than 140 samples and over 90 pells submitted in just over two months. I’m not even sure how many remixes and samples have actually been submitted because our dynamic playlist feature maxes out. This is amazing!!!

We have about one week left to focus on hip-hop and then we move into EDM.

I’m not sure how you all feel, but I’ve found my creative boundaries have expanded greatly by trying to create music in genres outside my default comfort zone. My artistry feels deepened and I feel humbled by the new respect I have for other artists here at ccMixter.

I hope you’ll all muster up some more energy and we’ll work together to create some totally new hip-hop (nerdcore counts btw) and then each try our turn at EDM to dance the night away. Both of these genres intimidate me, but luckily we can lean on each other’s expertise through collaboration.

Thank you all for making the BIG Fest truly a Universe of Music! And we’re not done yet :D

Peace ya’ll.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Aug 2, 2014 @ 6:07 PM
OK, just ran a query with our API - 435 total tracks have been created so far for the BIG Fest. That is A LOT of music.

The query combines all pells, samples and remixes in order of upload and can be viewed and listened to here.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Aug 2, 2014 @ 8:21 PM
That is a UNIVERSE of music!

permalink   copperhead Sun, Aug 3, 2014 @ 12:48 PM
That’s a lot of music!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:11 PM
A huge thanks to all of you who contributed to ccMixter’s BIG Fest. More than 500 new tracks were uploaded this summer - amazing. It’s been so expansive to co-create with you in new genres and styles. Thank you.

We’ve decided to postpone a “live” performance event until a later time. This would be a completely new undertaking for our community, one for which we need more time and preparation.

We’re now moving our focus to curation: playlists, podcasts and albums to share our music with the world, and to help move ccPlus forward in its beta phase. Those of you who have added your pells, samples, mixes and catalog to the ccPlus library, thank you! We are early in ccPlus development and your participation is crucial in helping us find ways to support ccMixter, educate about the types of CC licenses and Attribution, and finding ways for you to receive value for your works if you seek it.

Thank you again for making ccMixter the most positive place for creative development I’ve ever encountered. It’s all because of each of you.

Namaste.

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:28 PM
The ccMixter creative community is absolutely out of this world! And it is apparent in the variety, caliber and quality of the music that was inspired during this event.

Also, I’m excited to share that Ryno the Bearded will feature tracks from the BIG Summer Music Fest tonight on his show! You can listen over here.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:54 PM
Awesome! Thanks for making that happen Sackjo, and a special thanks to Ryno the Bearded for his support :)
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, Aug 22, 2014 @ 2:26 PM
As Snowflake said, we are focusing on curations from this amazing library! if you have always wanted to do an internet radio show or podcast now is a fine time! We will feature curations from the BSMF library on our Featured Playlists page where they will also be available for continued sharing!