Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » OGG

OGG

teru
permalink   Mon, Oct 31, 2005 @ 2:05 PM
Thanks to ArthurSucks. I can now listen to OGG files. I found the player to be quite good so I thought I’d post it here just in case anyone else is looking for a no-frills OGG player.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

* just a personal opinion but I prefer one format (MP3) for simplicity’s sake. Remember on the internet if someone clicks on something and they don’t get a predicted reaction chances are they won’t open the file.
tacet
permalink   Thu, Jan 5, 2006 @ 1:09 PM
Quote: Thanks to ArthurSucks. I can now listen to OGG files. I found the player to be quite good so I thought I’d post it here just in case anyone else is looking for a no-frills OGG player.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

* just a personal opinion but i prefer one format (mp3) for simplicity’s sake. remember on the internet if someone clicks on something and they don’t get a predicted reaction chances are they won’t open the file.

WinAMP5 also plays OGG outa-the-box - for those who don’t know much about it, OGG is a more modern codec [than MP3]. OGG often does really well in listening tests and there are no licencing fees associated (as there are with MP3/AAC) so it’s not entirely a bad choice.
shagrugge
permalink   Mon, Jan 23, 2006 @ 12:49 PM
Quote: Remember on the internet if someone clicks on something and they don’t get a predicted reaction chances are they won’t open the file.

Agreed…MP3 is the dominant file format. Most oggs I haven’t bothered to download even though I can open them in Audacity…even zip files…I won’t open unless I’ve heard or I know there will be some serious sampling material in it. If you want your stuff to get heard and mashed up…MP3 is your best bet.
zotz
permalink   Mon, Jan 30, 2006 @ 3:37 PM
Quote: If you want your stuff to get heard and mashed up…MP3 is your best bet.

The problem is, it is not clear if you will incur patent liabilities if you go that route. I prefer to do my stuff as wav, flac, and ogg vorbis when it comes to audio.

I am new here though so these guys might handle the mp3 licensing issues for us.

all the best,

drew
———
Some of my stuff:
My Internet Archive Stuff.
My OurMedia page.

The internet archive has some spoken word stuff.
victor
permalink   Mon, Jan 30, 2006 @ 4:22 PM
IANL and I’m not here to give legal advice.

The site’s aim is to give as many options to our musicians and listeners as possible which is why we support the must popular formats including ogg and mp3 — some, like the uncompressed formats are simply too bandwidth heavy for us so we encourage musicians to use archive formats when uploading uncompressed snippets. There is an active ongoing investigation to use archive.org as a backing store for much (all?) of our music in which case we could offer even more flexibility.