Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » Research in Progress

Research in Progress

iandunham
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2011 @ 5:25 AM
Hi all,

I’m a new member here, although I’ve been “lurking” for some time enjoying the music.

I just wanted to let you know that I’m currently writing a Master’s thesis for my degree in Ethnomusicology that uses ccMixter as a case study. So, I’ve been exploring the ways that IP policy has an impact on the musical practices of online users. Remixing is such a rich area for this discussion that I’ve really enjoyed thinking about the ways that ccMixter is a great model for much of the rest of the industry.
Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that some form of “ethnographic” research is being done here.

Best,

Ian
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2011 @ 7:19 AM
Thanks for introducing yourself! We would love it if you share the results of your study with us.

permalink   iandunham Tue, Feb 1, 2011 @ 8:38 AM
Definitely. I’ll be finishing mid-March, but chapters will be completed in a staggered way until then. You can expect the first within two weeks or so.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Feb 2, 2011 @ 7:09 AM
Cool, that’s a very interresting topic much be a lot of work put in there. Really looking forward to see the first pages turning in.

Just did some reading on wiki about ethnomusicology, never heard of it before, must be a interesting study to do. What are you planning to do in the future with this?

permalink   iandunham Tue, Feb 15, 2011 @ 4:37 AM
Well, I’m planning on teaching eventually. The first chapter is nearly finished and will be published to a blog very soon.

Thanks for the interest!
iandunham
permalink   Thu, Feb 17, 2011 @ 7:24 AM
I am currently trying to find salient examples of samples that have currency here on ccMixter. Are there any samples that a large portion of the population are familiar with? I feel like one way to gauge this is through the number of remixes a given pell or sample might have. But maybe there are other metrics I haven’t found.

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Feb 17, 2011 @ 8:59 AM
http://ccmixter.org/view/me...

“Most samples artists” and “Most Remixed A Capellas” will give you some good data.

Though there’s no specific stat shown for samples, those of the “most sampled artists” who are makers of noise (such as Morusque, Gurdonark, and Brad Sucks) would be good ones to check out: in particular Gurdonark’s white cube samples, which are probably the most well known on the site.

permalink   iandunham Thu, Feb 17, 2011 @ 10:04 AM
Great! Thanks Bob, I’ll check that out.

Any more hints by the community are GREATLY appreciated.