Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Secret Mixter: Behind The Mask

Secret Mixter: Behind The Mask

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Oct 30, 2010 @ 6:32 PM
I just sent out reminders to everybody participating in the ”Behind the Mask” secret mixter. Though our identities must be kept secret until the day of uploads-part of the fun is the dialog that happens here in the forums. Before-during-and-after, we can use this thread as a place to check in and connect.

btw-I’ve been in my headphones for the last three days—totally immersed in mix world. I’m excited to upload what I’ve got—feeling a bit nervous too though.

Mostly, I’m looking forward to listening! Approx 57 mixes will hit the site Nov.7th!!

Tell us what’s going on with your secret mix—without taking off your mask of course ;-)

”Behind the Mask”
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, Oct 30, 2010 @ 6:58 PM
I finished last Sunday. I just knew what to do when I got my assignment; there were some unexpected synergies (that will become evident), and things lined up in a perfect way very quickly.

The unfortunate downside to that is the long wait to get to the posting!

Hope it is going well for you. That is going to be a pile of tunes to listen to. I’ll probably have to drop them on the iPod to get through them all… oh the suffering! ;-)

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Oct 31, 2010 @ 9:49 AM
i’m done too! this is the first time i’ve ever finished my secret mixter mix early. i’m usually still working on mine while i’m listening to the uploads.

would you be willing to do an extra mix for someone who is going to get left behind? one of our mixters had a personal matter interfere with being able to complete their mix. and, it seems on upload day, someone usually gets stood up (sad panda!). would you like to join the “no Mixter Left Behind” squad (MCJBox’s mantra)?

permalink   Admiral Bob Tue, Nov 2, 2010 @ 6:22 AM
Just saw this. Funny, I had already emailed you to volunteer for that. Great minds… :)

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Nov 2, 2010 @ 9:41 AM
thanks Admiral! :)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Nov 1, 2010 @ 7:49 PM
Can’t wait to hear your mix Admiral! Synergy is good—and abundant!

I’ll be dropping them on my portable player too. It’s a great way to listen while I’m driving.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Oct 30, 2010 @ 8:01 PM
I am way behind (too much work and now the flu)… .but if I could, and if I were done by now, I would do two! (or more… .)
AT
permalink   Sun, Oct 31, 2010 @ 8:27 AM
This secret mixter has been the hardest so far for me. My assignment is just so different from me and I know that’s a good thing as it forces me to go places I wouldn’t usually go—but bloody hell it’s a bit stressful. With my regular submission on here I would say that 25% of what I do actually makes it to what I consider finished and a good enough quality and idea to upload, so that means I basically give up most of the time, with secret mixter I feel I cant give up as time is of the essence and I’m not the fastest mixer on the planet. So far I’ve given it a few hours each night since assignments went out—ive got a ways to go yet but should be ok, an idea is finally coming out, just got to get it done. Wine and coffee me thinks.

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Oct 31, 2010 @ 9:45 AM
given the quality of your mixes in the past, i’m confident your secret mixter will be on par with your work. perhaps it is your own high quality standard that is pushing you to new heights. i can’t wait to hear it!

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Oct 31, 2010 @ 10:53 AM
I can relate. I don’t believe I have ever been as challenged as this time around. However, as Snowflake said, your work is unfailing fine and I most certainly look forward to hearing your remix!

permalink   AT Mon, Nov 1, 2010 @ 5:07 PM
Well after reading those very nice comments from you two ladies im feeling all warm and fuzzy and strangely confident :) I’ll raise my glass to you both as I plug away tonight. seriously—thank you.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Nov 1, 2010 @ 7:52 PM
A toast to you audiotechnica! Go deep and have fun! We’ll be here for you when you get back. (sound of cork popping)
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sun, Oct 31, 2010 @ 11:56 PM
Well, what can I say… I’m glad I made the request for a secret mixter. I t’s safe to say theres something magical about secret mixing. At first I hated the name I got because most of the stuff uploaded I don’t listen to. But when listened a few times to some samples and a selection was made, it took off pretty fast.
And well it was finished pretty damn quick, the night of 29-10. It’s become one of my best remixes so far, dark, dreamy, haunting a real halloween track.

Can’t wait untill the 7th……

edit
If needed I’m up for another one

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Nov 1, 2010 @ 7:56 PM
Thanks for volunteering for ‘no mixter left behind”

I might take you up on the offer.

Looking forward to hearing your mix. Good to know you’re in a groove.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Nov 2, 2010 @ 10:17 AM
I “finished” my secret mix—but every time I listen to it, I can’t stop the urge to tweek it here and there.
change the eq’s?
the panning?
maybe add another track?

It’s cruel payment for “finishing” early. ;-)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Nov 3, 2010 @ 10:19 AM
I hear ya. You have to just not listen to it for the last bit and hope it doesn’t suck, I guess. :)
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Tue, Nov 2, 2010 @ 4:51 PM
Mine’s going slowly at the moment. I’m still digging for some more inspiration. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to work on it this past weekend since I drove out to Washington, DC for a few days. I’m sure it will work out though.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Nov 3, 2010 @ 10:02 AM
Did you go to the rally?

permalink   Clarence Simpson Wed, Nov 3, 2010 @ 11:21 AM
Indeed I did. Put me behind on secret mixter, but it was worth it. :)

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 3, 2010 @ 2:36 PM
how inspiring! wish i could have been there. i’m sure you’ll rock the mixter, having been fueled by that positive energy :)

permalink   Clarence Simpson Wed, Nov 3, 2010 @ 4:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement snowflake! :)
Admiral Bob
permalink   Fri, Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:23 AM
So how many did this: “we use another’s samples to reveal truths about ourselves.”

Did you musically reveal something about yourself?

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:53 AM
I think all of our music inherently reveals something about ourselves, intentionally or not.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:58 AM
This question has lingered in the back of my mind—and it’s still a bit of a mystery to me.

There is the obvious one of course, that I’m a guitar player with all the handicaps that apply to my breed.

And even though I know this, I still can’t help playing that 341st guitar part and panning it right up the center 6db higher than everything else in the mix, lol.

Luckily, I have friends that keep me line. Otherwise I’d finger tap my way into oblivion.

Otherwise, It’s hard for me to self-analyze with any objectivity, though I’m sure there are subconscious messages hidden in the mix. (btw-the satanic messages you hear when playing my mix backwards…that’s just you ;-)

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Nov 5, 2010 @ 10:27 AM
Yes. I was inspired by my assignment to reveal a side of myself that has yet to be seen on the ccM. I am not usually in the remixer role, so this was a very interesting endeavor… very… enlightening… and very fun. (Now I just hope what I created is worthy…)

permalink   Abstract Audio Fri, Nov 5, 2010 @ 1:44 PM
This time not really 1 remix has become a short story about (secret) remixes the other is a tribute. But the previous one hasplayed an important role in my life. I’ve had some problems in my life and the poem I used ‘choices may changes’ has been an important inspiration to keep going the right way.
Generally I can say that allmost every song reveals something to or about me.

I’m a little bit sad that my remixes are done, but really looking forward to 7th november.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 9:19 AM
Alright, who’s got the DeLorean?

Someone take me a day into the future.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 9:50 AM
Try this. I can’t guarantee it will work, but maybe it will tide you over!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 4:29 PM
…finishing touches… .this one’s certainly been a challenge… yep, a challenge… .

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 5:34 PM
Hard work, but with an almost certain payoff.

You knocked it out of the park with that Debbizo remix you did last time, with the vocal horn shots and your Dr. Who guitar sounds. :)

I know you’ll do it again this time.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 10:36 PM
You’re way too sweet Admiral! But I did finally finish (unless, of course, the guitar player asks for MORE GUITAR in the mix) — you know how guitar players are. :-)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 6:55 PM
5 hours ‘til uploading begins!

12 midnight PST

Who’s Behind The Mask? Who will be the first to upload? The next 24hours is going to be revealing!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 7:44 PM
time to start drinking and making the final tweeks!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 7:57 PM
left coast bias! :P

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 11:15 PM
It is 3 AM (or rather 2 AM thanks to DST) in 40 mins. and I happen to be up! :)
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 9:53 PM
… and done! Epic mashup or over-engineered mess remains to be seen though :P

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 11:17 PM
Pretty much sums it up, doesn’t it? :)

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 11:24 PM
Quote: Clarence Simpson… Epic mashup or over-engineered mess

One man’s is anothers. It’s the thought that counts!

(get ready for some uncritical reviews…) :P

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Nov 6, 2010 @ 11:28 PM
Ha. I thought you said this place was nice. :P
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 1:00 AM
Again great uploads this time
texasradiofish
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 6:19 AM
Was wondering why I din’t have a “secret_mixter” tag on the my upload like de groovy people. Uploaded to the mian list … again. Ratz!

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 7:33 AM
Ooh. Should have said something… could have fixed that!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 7:40 AM
Is it just me, or is this Secret Mixter fan-f*ck!n-tastic?

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 7:43 AM
No, it really isn’t just you. In terms of quality, I’m pretty much thinking that for me personally this would clear the Ed Pick board and start a new page all on its own.

The only event I can think of that compares in quality is Freedom to Share, and that took many weeks!

What I particularly love about this is how many people went with the mask theme. Without realizing it, everyone’s created a concept album. :)

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 8:22 AM
I’m just beginning to get my feet wet and will have to listen in fits and starts due to a busy schedule… but man the talent that is being revealed as we take off our masks is astounding! I love this place!

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 8:36 AM
No it is! I’ve just take a break from listening to refresh my ears. It’s hard to handle so much good music on 1 day you know.

permalink   Tom_Ena Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 11:52 AM
Quote: snowflakeIs it just me, or is this Secret Mixter fan-f*ck!n-tastic?

Can’t compare as it’s my first one but I LOVE IT!

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 11:56 AM
i just listened to your track a third time and i am so impressed. great production.

permalink   Tom_Ena Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 12:26 PM
I can’t begin to express how much that means to me, coming from one of the top vocalists of ccmixter :)

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 12:27 PM
you’ve made me blush :*)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 11:57 AM
I just made my second ed pick! K-I-S-S-I-N-G was just to cool for school! Perfectly timed for where we are right now in San Diego, and the world! Sassygal, you rule!

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 12:23 PM
i just made an Ed Pick too. what is our record for number of Ed Picks in a day? anybody know? this Secret Mixter is going off baby!

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 5:59 AM
maybe a stupid question but how do you select these ed picks, what are the criteria?

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 9:00 AM
The best description you can probably find is here:

http://fourstones.net/ccMix...

Page 19.

See also:

http://ccmixter.org/thread/...
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 1:00 PM
just fyi, there are only 12 mixes that haven’t been uploaded yet. we have until midnight (PST)! after that, anyone that may appear left behind will be remixed by one of the ccM “No Mixter Left Behind’ crew. :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 1:29 PM
In other words, please upload… 12 is a whole ton of work for the crew! ;-)

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 3:46 AM
Can I voluntere again if needed :)

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 9:10 AM
looks like we have two mixters that were stood up. if you’d like to help out, drop me an email. thank you!!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 4:07 PM
The Secret Mixter really does bring out the best in everyone! I intend to listen to and to review each upload — although given my crazy schedule these days, it may take a couple of days. But it is so exciting to see what each mixter reveals through music!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Nov 7, 2010 @ 4:48 PM
A reminder: anyone that ‘no shows’ or ‘stands up’ their assignment in the secret mixter will be excluded from future secret mixters.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 6:30 AM
Listened to them all! And I want to thank everyone for putting up all those great remixes. It really fuelled me with a creative boost.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 7:54 AM
yes, what a musical feast yesterday. i’m still flying from the endorphins!

abstract audio, are your ears burning? we’ve been talking about how amazing your two mixes were. really, really, really great stuff from you. thank you!

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Nov 8, 2010 @ 10:35 AM
Thank you, you’ve made my day
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 3:27 PM
May I humbly offer a huge thank you to everyone that participated in the Behind the Mask Secret Mixter. I’ve been listening to the tracks nonstop since submission time and am only now really digesting the complexity and artistry of these musical creations.

because there are so many tracks, it can be challenging to take them all in at once. so as a listening experiment, we’re working on a series of curated playlists, loosely themed. thanks to go1dfish for utilizing ccMixter’s rich API, and to fourstones for creating. (APIs are another discussion!)

i usually have lofty goals wherein i fall far short - often times life can steal them away from me before completion (my disclaimer - haha). that being said, i hope this playlist curation is not the last that we will try to present in this way (already working on one for next week!).

i’m curious as to your feedback, and also other ideas on ways to share.

So here it is: Beatnik: Behind the Mask Vol. I.

after listening to every track from the Secret Mixter at least three times, and some seven or eight, these 12 tracks seemed to work very well together in this order.

isn’t it interesting, how songs grouped together can almost ‘flavor’ one another?

peace.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Tue, Nov 16, 2010 @ 7:57 PM
At the risk of sounding biased (but actually surprised to be included), great job Emily!

When I was doing the Cool Music show, that was what I always enjoyed the most. Trying to create a compelling, fluid, somewhat linear track order. Harder than it sounds!
alexberger753
permalink   Thu, Nov 11, 2010 @ 2:06 AM
very nice!
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 11, 2010 @ 7:08 AM
I still haven’t had the chance to listen to all the mixes that came in…everyday I discover a new one, and I’m like, damn, that’s a gem!

As far a curating goes, make your own playlists and plug them here

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:09 AM
I have only heard four by now, but all of them were bleepin’ brilliant. A case against (constructive) criticism? ;-)