Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » USB Audio Interface

USB Audio Interface

Subliminal
permalink   Mon, Jul 27, 2009 @ 8:34 AM
I bought this new pc (yes, pc, not mac). Nothing fancy, but still better than my notebook, which is dying on me anyway. Now I am looking to buy an usb audio interface to ‘replace’ the onboard sound chip. Any tips?
ScOmBer
permalink   Thu, Jul 30, 2009 @ 4:30 PM
Hi Sub, I’d throw the USB and go for firewire. Does your PC have a firewire port? If not a pci/firewire card is cheap as chips and very easy to install.
This opens up a whole wider range of gear. Immediately any of the Digidesign products come to mind.
I use a 003 rack which is flawless and never crashes or losses its mind. (This can’t be said of the user though). There are smaller versions of the same thing, M box etc.
I’ve found that the usb ones tend to be more unstable and are generally cheaper in their construction, often introducing line buzz or interference when the Mrs starts up the microwave oven.
No, I don’t work for Avid or Deigidesign. TC Helicon have some nice ones too.

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Jul 30, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
I am familiar with the Digidesign stuff from my attempt at becoming an audio engineer during my audio engineering course (or should I say curse…). I don’t have a firewire port though and I want to be able to use it also on my laptop (which, ofcourse, lacks a firewire port too). I also don’t need a lot of inputs and outputs, because almost everything happens inside the box. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I guess I should have been more clear about my wishes.
David Ve
permalink   Sun, Oct 4, 2009 @ 12:53 PM
Native Instruments AUDIO KONTROL 1

EDIROL FA-101 or UA-101
EMU

I now have the AK1. it’s amazing. tough, has a midi control feature (knob and buttons) I actually use it.. Sound great, works great and is tough as hell..
EMU cards are also fine. pristine audio quality..
had one (1820 M) for a few years until I downsized and went with the macbook pro..