Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Lets talk about Sex! oh, um, I mean RMS!!!

Lets talk about Sex! oh, um, I mean RMS!!!

Surveillance_Party
permalink   Wed, May 28, 2008 @ 8:32 AM
Oh, cause you know, you need -12/10/8/+ million to be competive nowadays.Root mean square. How sexy.But for those competing in the loudness wars, doing a good mix, sending it to your tweaked multi band compressor, then limiting it in something else, well maybe thats just not enough anymore when the cd stacker changes at the party?I bring this up because I’ve been exploring various multi-band limters lately. I know its another step in killing the dynamics of music, but the incredibly poor band I’m mastering at the moment sent the mastered copy back to me and said, “”sounds great. Can you make it louder?”Lol.  
vo1k1
permalink   Wed, May 28, 2008 @ 3:04 PM
See http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/ for many tips, techniques, and strong opinions in this area.

permalink   Surveillance_Party Wed, May 28, 2008 @ 6:57 PM
vo1k1 that link is all time, thank you very much!

I’m loving the thread about m/s compression featuring bob katz and verious other homies :)

permalink   vo1k1 Wed, May 28, 2008 @ 7:18 PM
I’ve just started playing with M/S compression, mainly as an effect vs. a loudness tactic - it’s very cool.

There is some thread there where a number of people are discussing various sw and hw limiters in the context of loudness - and Bob Katz comments that RMS level and perceived loudness are two different things. I’ve thought about that a lot recently, vs. simply leveling a track as flat as possible.

permalink   Surveillance_Party Thu, May 29, 2008 @ 4:20 AM
I shall learn about this and then get back to you when I have an opinion of use :)Something about his super own design of “k-meter”to measure perceived loudness wasn’t it? I have a new way of measuring tempo by the way. I call it the “Surveillance Party Tempo Measurement Index”or the STMI for short. Contact me if you’d like to order your copy.

permalink   vo1k1 Thu, May 29, 2008 @ 7:16 AM
Is it like static 110bpm vs. head-bobbing 110bpm - proprietary groove detection?! :) sign me up

permalink   admin Thu, May 29, 2008 @ 9:52 AM
there also the har-bal PDF on mastering which could be useful - thanks tapsa.

permalink   sheever Thu, Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:30 PM
Har bal.just the BEST

permalink   vo1k1 Thu, May 29, 2008 @ 7:19 PM
Additional thought - this has been working pretty well for me lately - it seems like you can get a lot of loudness mileage from saturation. For me, I have to think about it early in the game. Also, it’s an area where there are a lot of nice tools, relatively inexpensive or lux.

permalink   Surveillance_Party Mon, Jun 9, 2008 @ 5:04 AM
damnit vo1k1 that gearslutz site is like music production crack. This is the first time in about a fortnight i’ve surfaced back to here, for all there stuff on there there is to learn. Thank you once again so much!

Perhaps m/s compression is a tool for fixing problems and not a desirable effect on its own? Unless you can acheive virtual track to track isolation, smearing of the stereo image seems inherent?

I have a band at the moment who mixed their shitty sounding hi hats right into the centre. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m hoping judicious m/s frequeny cutting might help me. I’ll keep you posted :)

permalink   vo1k1 Mon, Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:20 PM
Quote: Surveillance_PartyPerhaps m/s compression is a tool for fixing problems and not a desirable effect on its own? Unless you can acheive virtual track to track isolation, smearing of the stereo image seems inherent?

Ah, OK - I can see that - especially on mixes and submixes. I’ve still found it to be an interesting sound design technique on individual tracks - like try saturating the Side signal - smeared but big!

Quote: Surveillance_PartyI have a band at the moment who mixed their shitty sounding hi hats right into the centre. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m hoping judicious m/s frequeny cutting might help me. I’ll keep you posted :)

Nice! I would like to know how that works out.

permalink   tacet Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 2:08 AM
Quote: vo1k1See http://www.gearslutz.com/bo... for many tips, techniques, and strong opinions in this area.

Brilliant link! Bookmarked :D

*warning - this link is a time machine* lol