Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » "recent remixes" - additional list on the left side of the web page?

"recent remixes" - additional list on the left side of the web page?

slumberlords
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 1:00 AM
nothing major.

I would like the see another section added on the left called “Recent Remixes”. I find the “recent reviewers” and “editors picks” a really useful feature, but i would like to see the newest added remixes on the main CCpage (I know I can find them on another page), but it just makes it more convenient…

just a thought..

V
slumberlords
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 4:22 AM
ok i see your point. your protecting the website and want to make good first impressions with new users.

i guess its the establishment more keen to have this feature.

the only thing I can suggest is to have out of the way (but still on the main page), say on the left hand side. Or perhaps put a warning on there to state that the new music might not represent the quality of the music on this website (Which is normally outstanding).. and click to editor’s picks for a sample… etc.

Other than that, I guess I can hit a few more clicks :)
victor
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 3:58 AM
OK, truth time…

Most of what I’m about to say has to do with perception: how people perceive the site.

The first thing is that I always want to do what the community wants because I am part of the community. You folks post music, I write code to make that easier we all work together to make this thing work. But this one case where I’ve been ‘benevolent dictator’ and holding back the hoards.

Now, I’m always (er, usually) eager to get user requested features up and running as quickly as possible, sometime within the hour if possible.

This feature is literally a check box click for me, it’s there in the code, it’s always been there it is zero work for me to enable it. In fact a quick peak into the wayback machine, you’ll see we had newest uploads right on the front page http://web.archive.org/web/... !!!

But there’s a larger issue at stake, or at least I think it’s a larger issue — and if I’m up a tree I expect everyone to let me know…

On any given day between 1/3 and 2/3rds of the visitors to this site have never (as in: ever) been here before. And all cases we only have a few clicks to make an impression. With 5 links to the very latest uploads we are taking a very big chance because the fact is: if the first or second thing they hear is, er, less than our best (or you know, sucks) we never get that person back - you’ve done that I’m sure, listen to a song that’s subpar at some new site you stumble into and what’s the first thing you say: “This site sucks!”

You’ll notice that most content sites do the same thing - how many click to the ‘latest’ uploads on you tube?

So we highlight the ed picks and highly rated songs on the front page, on the left of side of every page on the ‘recently reviewed’ in playlists etc etc in order to guide to these visitors to the better material on the site to hopefully win over new folks.

Meanwhile, the other 3rd of visitors basically live here (the people reading this ;) - we have a very devoted, active core of folks. None of you are going to be satisfied with just the links to the newest 5 uploads, you already go to the new remix page and browse around there, play a track, recommend, review, etc.

So, yes, it’s two clicks (remix tab at the top of every page, then ‘newest’) for the rest of us to get the stuff we want to get to every hour of every day it seems ;) in trade off for protecting the perception that we have quality music, worth coming back to.

Maybe this make sense, maybe it doesn’t… you tell me.

VS

permalink   duckett Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 7:06 AM
I do not so live here!
(and quit putting the milk back in the fridge if there’s only a fews drops in it, sheesh.)
;)

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 4:22 PM
I’m saying the following with an open mind, because it may be hard to do technically given the underlying architecture and/or not desirable, because there are definite downsides to taking that high level fork in the road:

The system could show some things to logged in users, i.e. the regulars, that it doesn’t show to the new visitor.

The most recent remixes list could be one of those things. And that might address the issues you had raised.

Heck I’d even be happy, if I could change some personal settings to default to different second level pages, when I hit a high level one. Two that come to mind are:

Clicking on the Remixes tab - I practically always go to the Latest Remixes, so that’s two clicks where one might be slightly nicer.

Clicking on another member’s name - I immediately go to their profile 90% of the time, so that’s two clicks again.

The other thing that I find a bit confusing / inconvenient is that on an individual member’s page all of the uploads are in one list, rather than being separated over several pages in the same way, that the site overall behaves: i.e. remixes vs. a capella’s vs. samples. With the page mixed as it is, the “play this page” and “podcast” buttons/links aren’t that useful on the pages of people who upload samples as well as remixes.

I hope that makes some sense? Otherwise I can clarify.

And none of these items are hugely distracting - just small inconveniences :-)

p.s. just a small CSS nitpick: the “preview” in the forum posts is always so narrow :-)

permalink   victor Thu, Dec 6, 2007 @ 12:39 AM
Quote: spinmeisterThe system could show some things to logged in users, i.e. the regulars, that it doesn’t show to the new visitor.

OK, there’s a ‘new remixes’ link on the (logged in) artists menu only.

Quote: spinmeisterClicking on the Remixes tab - I practically always go to the Latest Remixes, so that’s two clicks where one might be slightly nicer.

The menu option makes it one click again.

Quote: spinmeisterClicking on another member’s name - I immediately go to their profile 90% of the time, so that’s two clicks again.

It’s a bit of a hack but it seems to work, try this out:
http://ccmixter.org/media/c...

Quote: spinmeister
The other thing that I find a bit confusing / inconvenient is that on an individual member’s page all of the uploads are in one list, rather than being separated over several pages in the same way, that the site overall behaves: i.e. remixes vs. a capella’s vs. samples. With the page mixed as it is, the “play this page” and “podcast” buttons/links aren’t that useful on the pages of people who upload samples as well as remixes.

One of those magic hidden features in the site is the ability to add tags to a profile

media/people/loveshadow/female_vocals

media/people/kcentric/acappella

combine tags with plus (+) sign.

media/people/teru/remix+chill

Quote: spinmeister
p.s. just a small CSS nitpick: the “preview” in the forum posts is always so narrow :-)

OK I maxed out the width given the current layout. (probably need to refresh your browser for this one)

VS

ps - would have done this earlier today but I took a day off.

permalink   spinmeister Thu, Dec 6, 2007 @ 3:55 AM
Quote: fourstoneswould have done this earlier today but I took a day off.
lol - since you took the day off, you worked the night? I can’t believe you already hammered these features in:

Quote: fourstonesthere’s a ‘new remixes’ link on the (logged in) artists menu only. … The menu option makes it one click again.

Quote: fourstonesIt’s a bit of a hack but it seems to work, try this out http://ccmixter.org/media/config/setdefusertab
works great - I love it!

Quote: fourstonesOne of those magic hidden features in the site is the ability to add tags to a profile
yes,works like MAGIC :-)

The only issue it, that the previously mentioned new visitors won’t be able to figure that out. That’s why having at least a two way split between pages (Remixes vs. a cappellas & samples) might still make some sense as a site default? But of course for me, I love the tagging syntax in the URL - it’s clean and so very flexible - for sure I can use that when linking to ccMixter pages from other sites and to craft a playable page for myself.

By the way, the whole API is beautiful (you mentioned it in another forum). If there’s one big thing missing at ccMixter/ccHost, it’s an easier way of finding out about some of the non obvious goodness you have developed here. Maybe add a simple howto page?

Quote: fourstonesOK I maxed out the width given the current layout.

Great - my proofreading for this post has become 200% easier - any remaining errors are entirely my own fault!
victor
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 2:25 AM
did I say 2 weeks? I meant 2 weeks plus about a year
slumberlords
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 2:47 AM
didnt see those posts. sorry.

yeah, clearly its a feature that we all want!!
teru
permalink   Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 5:00 PM
I’d like to take this opportunity to plug the blog. : )

In the side bar, third item down, labeled “ccMixter” now has shortcuts to all the recent pages.

Also for those who didn’t know, the “Latest ccMixter” at the very top of the sidebar shows all the most recent uploads (remixes, pells and samples) with links and a preview player.

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Dec 5, 2007 @ 7:13 PM

yes - and the RSS feed for it makes it easy to keep up with (just like the RSS feeds here in the forums and elsewhere on ccMixter).

which reminds me - it would be very cool if the thumb CSS allowed the text to wrap around it. — oops, I’m full of suggestions today - sorry VS! :-)
duckett
permalink   Sat, Dec 29, 2007 @ 2:19 AM
My goodness, will the bells and whistles never end? You’d think we’re getting spoiled around here! Ah, well- nothing like a little seasonal generosity, I suppose….
spinmeister
permalink   Fri, Dec 28, 2007 @ 11:37 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again to VS for some of the recent additions:

The New Remixes link on the artist’s menu is something that I use all the time now, and it has increased my desire and therefore the likelihood that I keep up with pretty much all submitted remixes. While I comment only on a subset, I do give every new remix at the very least 30 seconds - and if I don’t like the beginning, I jump to later parts in the track, to see if there’s anything that might speak to me a bit more.

The extra long Play this Page pop-up window and the way you can click on a song in there and it opens up that song in the main browser window are very funky, too and that’s how I’m now listening to the latest batch of new remixes most of the time.

I love the wider preview window for forum posts, comments, etc.

And of course, I love being able to set the default page for looking at other ccMixter people’s pages.

Thanks VS!