Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Ratings

Ratings

PorchCat
permalink   Wed, Oct 11, 2006 @ 8:31 AM
Two quick thoughts on ratings.

1. Half-star increments. A lot of music and movie sites allow half-star increments in ratings. I know sometimes I feel torn between one rating and another and being able to rate a track for example 4 1/2 stars would be wonderful.

2. Rerating. Sometimes people adjust their tracks in response to feedback. It would be nice if we could alter our ratings up or down based on the revised contribution. I think it would encourage people to revise/improve their submitted tracks a bit more, as the rating would not be locked in place regardless of improvement. Generally I’ve seen this done three ways on other sites. You can adjust your rating by clicking on the stars again, there’s a second set of stars to make another rating or there’s a “clear my rating” link.

Just a couple thoughts. ((Hands you some grains of salt.))

*meow*

P.S. I noticed some features creeping up in anticipation of the charts feature. I really like the last update stat.
norelpref
permalink   Fri, Jan 12, 2007 @ 11:31 AM
There’s a new site for writers called “urbis” that has a very interesting rating/review method. I recommend people check it out.

http://urbis.com

The program seems to take into account one’s “slant” on any given review and adjust the rating accordingly.

permalink   victor Fri, Jan 12, 2007 @ 11:56 AM
unless I’m missing something the original upload is not rated at all, just the review of the content.

and that is one complicated set of rules — I’d be coding nothing else for two months if I tried something like that. Having said that, if I thought it would triple the number of ratings/reviews we got here I would consider it.

(Another thing to keep in mind: writers love to hear themselves think out loud so they have a higher proclivity to actually review and review verbosely. If we instituted a policy based on the number of words written, trust me, most ccM members would consider that “punishment” not “reward”)

VS
victor
permalink   Wed, Oct 11, 2006 @ 1:23 PM
1. Round down. You’ll be doing the site a service.

2. Ratings are the most abused aspect of the site. If we can up with a fair way to automate a ‘reset’ when a person replaces the main audio track that’s cool. Meanwhile if there’s really a dramatic case of re-rating just let me know and I can do it manually.

VS

permalink   PorchCat Thu, Oct 12, 2006 @ 8:28 AM
1. Understood. Will do.

2. Thanks, if there are revisions where my rating needs to be changed, I will tell you. On the “reset” thought … perhaps it could be a personal option, like notifications? Basically, an option to reset the rating you gave if someone uploads a new version?

Thanks for always putting up with my questions and suggestions. :-P

*meow*
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   victor Sun, Oct 22, 2006 @ 12:13 AM
Definitely an idea we’ve considered (always said if I ever get to build a music site I would do that lol)

Meanwhile I don’t mean to gripe about it (too much) it’s just a fact of life on the ‘net and the only reason the ‘abuse’ stands out so much is because the number of ratings are low. ( more here)
tacet
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 3:04 PM
Quick suggestion - you know how it’s currently only possible to vote after you comment (which I think is a good idea btw) … I’ve noticed a lot of folks sample stuff they’ve not voted on. Surely, if they like it so much they sample it then they’d be willing to comment & vote first, or as part of the process?

I bring this up because I sampled oldDogs excellent piano and almost forgot to vote and comment.

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 7:49 PM
yup, something to think about — I’m picturing something when I return movies to netflix and they ask me to rate them the next time I log in.

tho’ ask anybody and I’m 100% sure everybody would rather get remixed than rated so I don’t think it’s a critical thing.

permalink   tacet Sat, Mar 17, 2007 @ 4:24 PM
I agree completely, not everyone will enjoy the rating thing, in fact there’s clearly a lack of interest in it.

Personally I’m uncomfortable with ratings, I think it’s depressing for those who upload and get no feedback or rating. I constantly try and be good about it, but I’m probably guilty of forgetting previously.

But as long as we’re going down the ratings route, it needs to be encouraged. I’d see it like the “nags” you get from eBay when you have yet to rate a seller/buyer.

Rating on eBay is part of the process, I think if you seriously want ratings to work on here you need to consider how it can be added to the workflow without annoying folks.

At the end of the day we all do this because we enjoy it, and enjoy the feedback we get from our peers. Maybe that just needs re-enforcing if/when you introduce it.