Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Help » "Why Can't I Remix Myself?"

"Why Can't I Remix Myself?"

admin
permalink   Tue, Oct 3, 2006 @ 2:09 PM
When you try to submit a remix and use the ‘I Used Samples From…’ search tool you will not be able to see your own uploads. That’s because we filter them out of the results.

This policy of not being allowed to ‘remix yourself’ came up a while ago when several folks tried to sneak original material into the remix section. (They would upload individual parts of their original as samples and then the fully mixed track as a remix.)

Besides not being in the spirit of the site it really isn’t fair to those who actually participate in the site as a remix community, that is: download other peoples’ samples and a cappellas and upload the resulting remix.

The only time this has been a problem is when folks have had their material remixed by others outside the community and want to show it off. This is perfectly cool except when they use their own account to do that they are filtered out by the no self-remix rule.

In this situation, by all means, create an account for the producer of the track (it is free after all) and upload the remix under the new account.

Peace,
VS
victor
permalink   Mon, Nov 27, 2006 @ 6:49 PM
yes, it’s a hole (one of thousands ;)) and if it’s abused like so many holes have been, then we’ll plug it.

for now, consider yourself “under the radar” ;)
Pitx
permalink   Mon, Nov 27, 2006 @ 3:52 PM
You talk about the no self-remix rule and I think it is a good and necessary rule but in this moment the link with FS can be a ‘hole’ for sneaked auto-remixes. (Me myself have used my own sounds from freesound but without that wish. Pardon, I read this thread two days ago). I think it’s a risk that must be run (and FS deserves it).
Jul
ears_wide_open
permalink   Tue, Nov 6, 2007 @ 8:27 PM
I was wondering if I could upload a track that I have made with a friend, and request help from others in the remix community for our vocals. I have written lyrics to a piece that I just can’t sing to and I think it would be cool if I could have some vocalists take a stab at it. Is there any way that I could upload a track with my vocals over the song and have others record the chorus and versus?

permalink   teru Tue, Nov 6, 2007 @ 8:53 PM
Sounds like you’re looking to collaborate.

My suggestion is to post a “pluggy plug” mentioning that you have music and lyrics and are looking for a vocalist. When/if you hear back from someone, send them an invitation from your collab page.

If you want a more active approach. Email vocalists that you like directly.

Best of luck. : )
victor
permalink   Sun, Jun 1, 2008 @ 11:41 AM
I’d like to explicitly document how to use the type system when adding files:

To upload a remix that uses your own samples…

- Click on ‘Submit Files’ on the menu on the left

- Click on ‘Submit Samples’

- Use this form to upload your first sample — not the fully mixed version (otherwise admins and moderators watching the uploads will think you only want to upload a fully mixed track)

- Use this form to describe and tag all the individual samples you will be uploading

- After that upload succeeds, click on ‘Manage Files’ on the menu on the left

- Next to the name of the sample upload (it should be at the top of the screen) click on the ‘Add, Replace and Delete Files’ button

- Click on the ‘Add Files’ button

- Use this form to upload the next sample and leave the type as “(Default)” Repeat the ‘Add Files’ step for your samples.

- Finally, use the same ‘Add Files’ form to upload your remix only this time for ‘Type’ select “Preview”

- As a bonus you can use the “Manage Files” screen to drag the preview to the top to make sure it is the one that plays in listing but it’s not necessary because most samples are previewed/downloaded from the sample browser which streams all files.

permalink   dangerous_objects Fri, May 8, 2009 @ 7:20 PM
Quote: fourstones
To upload a remix that uses your own samples…

Is a mix that uses your own samples (eg. recorded guitar riffs that you upload using “Submit Samples”) over someone’s instrumental track (eg. drums) permissible, in the same way that a mix that uses someone’s vocals over your beats is?

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, May 8, 2009 @ 8:12 PM
i guess that depends on how you’ve licensed the samples that you’re using :)

in all seriousness, if they are your samples, and you created them, you should be able to use them any way you see fit.

i think the issue is more one of self-attribution, which is really unnecessary.

also, i think what victor is describing (and you responded to) is the process to upload a set of samples with a remix. his description discusses submitting and adding multiple source files (tracks) for the same song (or remix).
aliteralmind
permalink   Wed, Mar 20, 2013 @ 11:23 AM
I didn’t see this pinned topic until just now. I asked the same question a few days ago.

http://ccmixter.org/thread/...

To the admins: on the submit-a-remix page, when the “no search results” message is returned, please consider also having it say that it’s not possible to remix your own pells, and perhaps include a link to this forum thread.

Would be really helpful. Thanks.