Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Contest Idea

Contest Idea

DustRed
permalink   Thu, Feb 17, 2005 @ 9:53 PM
Ok, this is an idea to keep everyone working their tunes. It is going to need a little help from CC programming crew if everyone thinks it would work. This is how it could work.

Anyone wanting to enter the competition must submit 10 sample loops, min 1 bar length. The starting of the competition goes for 1 week where all you can do is "apply" for the competition by submitting your samples.

At the end of that week period sample submissions close, those artists that have submitted the samples are provided with a submit button to enable them to upload their remix.

The remix competition goes for 2 months. After 1 month the sample submissions are opened up again for 1 week for anyone that missed out on joining in.

Not sure how judging would work unless cc already has a panel that could do that… The prize is having a feature done on cc & being recognised by all. Artists interviewed and posted.

It would even be better if we could get this comp sponsored by a music product vendor. Then the artists also have opportunity to increase their studio capacity. CC crew is it possible to get hit stats for this site?
Heuristics Inc.
permalink   Fri, Feb 18, 2005 @ 12:33 PM
you’re suggesting that everyone is working from a pool of 10 loops from each entrant? i think that would become huge and unmanageable very fast… too many loops. just my opinion. one loop each?
-bill
admin
permalink   Fri, Feb 18, 2005 @ 12:51 PM
Hey Dustred, just so you know we’re thinking about having a way for a registered user to spin off a mini contest/figh/battle — "contest in a box" Neeru called it.

The ‘admin’ of the contest could set up the rules, restrictions, entry/closing dates etc. like the one you outline above.

Victor
DustRed
permalink   Fri, Feb 18, 2005 @ 2:39 PM
victor that is a cool idea. The only problem i can see is people getting "huffed" against the one "admin" guy who has to judge the submissions. Perhaps you could have it so each contest/battle idea posted has to have another 2 people agree to help admin & judge before it is approved.

Again this could come back to the split site idea. The only people allowed to support a posted competition could be the "selected musicians". That way everyone knows the judges are at a standard/level of high quality and righfully able to judge. Every time someone posts a competition idea perhaps an automated message sent to the "selected musicans" asking for nominations of support?

Also as a follow up to HeuristicsInc point. What is your storage capacity like on this site? One of the reasons why I thought of submitting 10 samples each was so to give a big boost to the sample library content for the site.

victor
permalink   Fri, Feb 18, 2005 @ 2:48 PM
Actually the admin has an option to create and "instant poll’ based on the entries so you could just throw it open, or not. I’ve enough retial sites that pissing people off is unavoidable. But if you *try* to be fair most folks will pick up on that.

… I guess my point is, I suspect there are lots of cool ideas for contest and I *know* there are lots of opinions about how to run them. I also know that as soon you involve a third party (like a label or artist) they will pretty much dictate 90% of how the contest is run.

So rather than try to have all ideas funnel into one place, I think the answer distribute the implementation of the ideas.

Regarding the other:
First: upload 1,000,000 samples.
Then: we’ll worry about disk space ;)

I think Bill was just talking about the contestants having to deal with a gazillion samples.

Victor
The Orchestral Movement of 1932
permalink   Fri, Feb 18, 2005 @ 7:46 PM
How about a contest where artists are given a limited amount of samples (from different artists on the site) and are told to come up with something?

Basically, Dustred’s idea but smaller.
Heuristics Inc.
permalink   Sat, Feb 19, 2005 @ 7:05 AM
Quote:
I think Bill was just talking about the contestants having to deal with a gazillion samples.

Right, it would be kind of unmanageable for the entrants… and having a smaller sample set makes for a nice mix, there are themes that run through the songs that way.
-bill
DustRed
permalink   Wed, Feb 23, 2005 @ 11:02 AM
Quote: Hey Dustred, just so you know we’re thinking about having a way for a registered user to spin off a mini contest/figh/battle — "contest in a box" Neeru called it.

The ‘admin’ of the contest could set up the rules, restrictions, entry/closing dates etc. like the one you outline above.

Victor

Vic, how about having a "news" section under Visitors section. That way you can let us know when things like this are ready to go so I don’t have to keep checking the posts. A bit of that vic magic!