Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Unable to upload today (6 Oct 2021)

Unable to upload today (6 Oct 2021)

Dominique Cyprès
permalink   Wed, Oct 6, 2021 @ 2:23 PM
I’m trying to upload a mixed track and all its constituent tracks for remixing via the “upload sample” facility. If I try to upload a 50 MB ZIP file of FLACs, the page eventually redirects to back to a blank upload form, seemingly having timed out. If I upload one of the individual FLACs, I get a message that the upload suceeded but the upload doesn’t show up under “Manage Files” after that and I can’t find what I’ve uploaded anywhere on the site.

Haven’t uploaded in years so maybe I’ve missed something.
Speck
permalink   Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 3:00 AM
Are you uploading an mp3 preview first, then uploading the zip(s) with the ‘add additional files’ button?

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 6:28 AM
I tried uploading a FLAC of the mixed track first, but that has the result I mentioned where the upload simply didn’t show up in my “Manage files” list afterward, or anywhere else on the site. Does the initial upload have to be MP3 and not FLAC?

permalink   Speck Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 6:49 AM
Yes. Once you upload the mix as an mp3 you should be able to upload the zips and/or any other samples/stems with the ‘add additional files’. You can also upload your flac of the mix as an additional file (which you would designate as ‘alternate file format’) but you have to keep the mp3 there in the first position or the player won’t show up on the site.

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 6:57 AM
Thank you. Now that I’m looking at the “Submit files” page again, I see that the description for submitting remixes mentions that an MP3 preview has to be uploaded first. I guess I skipped reading that because I was using the “Upload sample” page instead. The site says I used up my quota with all those previous upload attempts, so maybe I’ll try again tomorrow.

permalink   Speck Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 7:13 AM
Interesting. I didn’t know that a failed attempt would count against the limit. With the limit being two per week you may have to wait a week before trying again.

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 8:03 AM
Considering the number of attempted uploads I did, I think only the times I uploaded a FLAC, and the site said it succeeded even though I couldn’t find the uploaded track afterwards, counted toward the quota. I think the failed ZIP file uploads that redirected me to the upload form didn’t count.

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Thu, Oct 7, 2021 @ 9:04 AM
If I get the time for it, do you think whoever maintains the ccHost code would consider a patch that warns users / doesn’t count towards the quota if they try to upload a FLAC initially instead of an MP3?

permalink   Apoxode Sun, Oct 10, 2021 @ 9:52 AM
Dominique,
Are you still having issues getting your upload to work?
I have some ideas if you’re interested.

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Mon, Oct 11, 2021 @ 9:08 AM
Thanks. As of right now, I still can’t open the sample upload form because of the quota. If that lasts for a week, presumably I’ll have to wait until Wednesday 13 October to try my upload again—this time starting with an MP3 preview. I’ll let you know if it works.

permalink   Apoxode Tue, Oct 12, 2021 @ 2:35 PM
There may be a way to salvage what you have without losing the credit.
In your artist profile, do you have the uploads listed under the “Hidden” tab?
If you deleted them, you won’t see them, but if they are still there,
you can solve the problem with some rearranging and classification.

First things first, are your uploads less than 50 megs? If not, you cannot upload them. To fix that, try a lower compression rate for the FLAC, or opt for MP3 if length is the issue.
Sometimes the bit rate and sampling rate, when lowered, will reduce the file size.

If the files, including zips, are all under 50 megs, upload them, designating all but your preview as “Sample” Then make sure your preview MP3 is marked as “Preview” and change the arrangement so that the Preview is first.

Let me know if this solves the problem for you, or if you need some clarification.

Best of luck, and thank you so much for being a part of the community!

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   Dominique Cyprès Tue, Oct 12, 2021 @ 9:39 PM
Thanks very mmuch for your patience in explaining this, Apoxode. I hadn’t poked around certain parts of CC Mixter for years and missed the “hidden” tab. I’ve managed to upload FLAC files and publish them as a sample, with an mp3 preview: http://ccmixter.org/files/l...

permalink   Apoxode Wed, Oct 13, 2021 @ 9:20 PM
Fantastic! You should have also got your quota reset as well — hope to hear more from you soon :)