Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Trackback Drive

Trackback Drive

admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 6, 2014 @ 6:41 PM
Please Participate in the ccMixter Trackback Drive

Who better to support ccMixter than the thousands of people who use our music in their videos and other creative projects?

We hope that by engaging creators who use ccMixter content in their videos, on YouTube and elsewhere, we will garner more support for our fundraiser. The ultimate goal is for ccMixter to be supported by content users, either through donation or through utilization of ccPlus.

A simple way to engage ccMixter content users is by posting a simple, encouraging comment on their YouTube video, Soundcloud remix, or Vimeo video, etc. if you’ve received a Trackback Notification email, follow the link to the user’s video or remix where you can leave a comment encouraging them to consider contributing to ccMixter fundraiser.

Some suggested (but by no means mandatory) language is:

Example 1: Thank you for using my music in your video. I hope you will consider supporting ccMixter so that we can keep ccMixter.org a vital source for Creative Commons licensed music, that is freely available for use. Please visit our our Indiegogo page to contribute and learn more: igg.me/at/ccmixter

Example 2: I’m honored you’ve used my music and that of artists from ccMixter in your video. It would be very appreciated if you would make even a small donation to ccMixter’s fundraiser at IndieGoGo so we can continue to make music you can freely use. Here’s the link! igg.me/at/ccmixter Thanks in advance :)

In addition, links to where your tracks have been used outside ccMixter can be found at the bottom of the in “Samples Are Used In Box” - located in the lower right-hand corner of any ccMixter song page. Following those links to the video or remix, and posting a similar comment as suggested above, is a great way to encourage folks that have used your music to contribute to ccMixter.

A few ccMixter folks have been testing this out — and ccMixter has actually received several contributions from YouTubers almost immediately after this type of comment was made on their video. We’ve observed 2 out of 10 comments have resulted in a donation to ccMixter, which is an approximate 20% conversion rate. (Quite good!)

If you will help be part of this effort to reach beyond our community, to the people who utilize ccMixter music, we believe it will truly help ccMixter. The more of us that participate, the better our chance of success.

Thank you for your efforts in helping ccMixter remain free and open to all.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 8:43 AM
I am approving track-back links this morning. This is a perfect opportunity to reach out to folks who are using ccM content right now.

permalink   Martijn de Boer (NiGiD) Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 8:53 AM
I suggest adding a small box (just like the ccPlus box) on every track page too, saying something like ‘Like this song? Click here to make a donation and keep ccMixter free’.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 11:38 AM
Great idea Martijn! Our tech guys are both very busy with personal matters at the moment, but hopefully they can get on this soon :)

permalink   Martijn de Boer (NiGiD) Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 12:40 PM
Just a thought. Since the Secret Mixter is in progress, which is stated on the top of the page, the donate thingy is kinda missing now.
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 11:37 AM
Awesome. Looking forward to reaching out to media makers and helping ccM in this way!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 11:39 AM
I just wrote comments on 10 videos. Hopefully at least 2 will give back to ccM! :)

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Nov 10, 2014 @ 4:36 PM
Fantastic!
Mike Linksvayer
permalink   Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 3:07 PM
Hi. This drive reminds me I seem to recall a page long ago highlighting cool uses of tracks from ccMixter users. Does that or did it ever exist? I somehow found http://ccmixter.org/pools/p... now though I don’t remember how, don’t see it linked anywhere. If I’m understanding that link right — that there are 11,090 documented uses of ccMixter hosted tracks elsewhere on the web, that’s an impressive amount of documentation (and doubtless tip of the actual use iceberg)! Well done!

edit: I must have found the tracback pool via link to it on pages documenting reuse like this one http://ccmixter.org/pools/i...

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Nov 7, 2014 @ 3:47 PM
Hi MIke! How great to hear from you! I didn’t now about that link — very cool indeed. Added it to the Trackback Drive webpage. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Yes, our music is used so many places and it just keeps growing. We love it when people actually take the time to submit a Trackback. :)
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Nov 8, 2014 @ 12:18 PM
I just finished approving all the trackback links that have been submitted recently.

I have left a few comments for you-tubers and remixers, and have received one contribution pledge back so far. Also, anyone can comment — even if your music wasn’t used in a video, if it is ccM music and you are aware of it, feel free to chime in. (I did this today when I received an erroneous track back link.) It will be great if users of our content help support us.

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Nov 9, 2014 @ 2:26 PM
We just got a donation from a comment I left! He was so kind and gracious about it too. :)

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Nov 10, 2014 @ 4:36 PM
Awesomeness!
Kara Square
permalink   Mon, Nov 10, 2014 @ 4:36 PM
Just left a bunch of comments! You know, not only is this *hopefully* helpful to ccM, it’s also really fun to see the music being used!

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Nov 10, 2014 @ 4:51 PM
Totally. That’s been my favorite part — seeing the videos, hearing the remixes, visiting the websites that use ccMixter music. :)
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2014 @ 8:52 AM
I got a great response from one of my comments. They said they’d donate! :D