Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Many-sided Prism: Music & Identity Remix Event

Many-sided Prism: Music & Identity Remix Event

Kara Square
permalink   Sun, Apr 14, 2013 @ 9:27 AM
Many-sided Prism:
Music & Identity Remix Event

ccMixter is pleased to announce a remix event that celebrates and explores identity and how we express it through music! One’s personal identity is comprised of many aspects: individuality, gender, sexual orientation, social, cultural, political, etc. This many-sided prism of identity directly influences and inspires our creative work. Let’s explore it through music!

All ccMixter artists are invited to participate! All musical styles are welcome.

4/14 to 4/27 – Call for spoken word, pells, songs, and samples. (Feel free to start remixing at any time.)

4/28 to 5/19 (EXTENDED!)– Call for remixes. To be included in the Many-sided Prism: Music & Identity Remix Event playlist, your remix must contain at least one source from the Many-sided Prism: Music & Identity Remix Event pell or sample pool.

Ideas for pells:
Challenge or celebrate your culture’s identity views.
Explore your personal attitudes about identity.
Question how identity is or is not exploited through politics.
Write or perform a song/poem from the view of one’s opposite sex and/or opposite identity.
Perform a cover song of a ccMixter artist of one’s opposite sex and/or opposite identity.
Find a public domain piece written by “anonymous” and perform it in the identity of your choosing.

Ideas for samples:

Compose a song for vocalists to use as an instrumental foundation.
Create an instrumental that expresses your identity.
Create an instrumental that is a sonic contrast to your identity.
Contribute a sample pack of sounds for remixers.

*Please share your ideas for pells and samples in the comments below!
**A big THANK YOU to Anchor Mejans for suggesting this event concept.
***A big THANK YOU to YOU for everything that you share and contribute to ccMixter.

Pells
Samples
Remixes
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:48 PM
Thank you Kara! I love this project already :)

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Apr 16, 2013 @ 6:58 AM
Thank YOU!! And… ditto!
Mr_Yesterday
permalink   Mon, Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:13 PM
Hi, Kara, I’ve got a newbie what if: I’ve been exorcising a few of my own identity demons the last few months and have a pell already posted but as yet not remixed. Is it possible to toss it in the pool?

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Apr 16, 2013 @ 7:03 AM
Definitely. Thanks for providing the link. It now shows up on the project’s pell playlist. Thank you!!
Anchor
permalink   Tue, Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:52 AM
Thanks for fleshing out this concept and to all concerned for presenting it!

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Apr 16, 2013 @ 7:04 AM
Thank YOU, Anchor. I’m excited to hear where this project takes us…

permalink   Jeris Wed, Apr 17, 2013 @ 6:11 AM
Intriguing mixter event! Sounds like fun :)

permalink   Kara Square Wed, Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:28 PM
Awesome!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Wed, Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:22 AM
What a great project! I have been soooo far away from music lately due to life’s demands, but this event already has me inspired! Fun! (I already have something up my sleeve, I believe.)

permalink   Kara Square Wed, Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:31 PM
Whoop! I’m happy to hear that you’re inspired, Susan!! (I got 1 and a half songs written on Sunday… now I gots ta’ get recording…)
Pitx
permalink   Fri, Apr 19, 2013 @ 8:33 AM
I noticed that the CC0 license is not in the identity samples form. A mistake or other thing?
Thank you.

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:23 PM
I contacted the other Admin’s about this. I’ll get back to you as soon as we have an answer. Sorry for the delay! Thank you, Pitx!
vo1k1
permalink   Fri, Apr 19, 2013 @ 6:00 PM
I have this unoriginal idea about how brands have created modern tribes around fashion and lifestyle. And the idea is voiced like Nicole Blackman (listen to Golden Palominos). However, I have neither the talent or voice for it. Hint + please!

permalink   Kara Square Sat, Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:30 AM
Great idea! (Nicole Blackman is one of my favs…)
schizophrend
permalink   Tue, Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:34 AM
Great Idea! Thank you for the opportunity, and thanks to RoseCaraway, my remix has been submitted.
Schizophrend

permalink   Kara Square Wed, Apr 24, 2013 @ 9:21 AM
Thanks for contributing! Welcome to ccMixter!

permalink   schizophrend Thu, Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:56 PM
Thank you.
daniloprates
permalink   Wed, Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:54 PM
i feel very happy when i come to ccMixter and see an announcement on the top of the page. amazing project!

permalink   Kara Square Thu, Apr 25, 2013 @ 7:10 AM
Awesome. :D
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, May 10, 2013 @ 2:45 PM
There are sooooooo many wonderful pells and samples that have been submitted! The admin team unanimously decided to extend the remix portion of this project another week. It will now end on Sunday, May 19th.

permalink   Snowflake Sun, May 12, 2013 @ 9:19 AM
So many pells and samples that need to be remixed! Thanks for extending Kara :)

permalink   Kara Square Mon, May 13, 2013 @ 10:15 AM
Hey- it was a great idea!

permalink   Beluga Ten Sun, May 12, 2013 @ 5:14 PM
Thanks - and good timing! My software crashed this evening and corrupted the remix I had been working on all weekend. Arrrggghhhh!

I’ve managed to salvage and upload it now, but it was good to know that there was extra time - it took the pressure off a bit.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, May 13, 2013 @ 10:15 AM
Glad to hear it!!!

permalink   Down With Ben Mon, May 13, 2013 @ 5:49 AM
Looks like I didn’t have to sacrifice any sleep, after all. I was sweating bullets last night trying to finish my piece in time for the original deadline. I wish I had noticed this earlier. Ah well, at least it’s done…. http://ccmixter.org/files/cuajitoben/42389

permalink   Kara Square Mon, May 13, 2013 @ 10:16 AM
Awww… sorry you missed this… But hey, AWESOME submission!!

permalink   ScOmBer Mon, Oct 28, 2013 @ 2:16 PM
A bit late for the party but some things need a gentle simmer http://ccmixter.org/files/scomber/44014

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Oct 28, 2013 @ 4:41 PM
Better late than never :D