Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Program to change BPM

Program to change BPM

Vidian
permalink   Wed, Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:16 PM
Hello!!
I looked for about 8 minutes on the forum, and gave up, and decided to post my Question… o.o

Does anyone know of a program that changes a sample from an inputted BPM to a different inputted bpm? Did that make sense? I know what the bpm of the sample is and I know what bpm I want it to be, I just don’t know how to do it. :\
Cuz I’m lame, and would rather ask someone instead of learning how to use the programs I already ahve :)
teru
permalink   Thu, Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:30 AM
Audacity works well for me.

Drag/drop the track you want changed into Audacity.
Select the track. It should turn blue.
Choose Effects. Scroll down to Tempo Change.
Fill in the BPM fields. Click OK.
Export the project.
Done like dinner.

permalink   Vidian Tue, Oct 6, 2009 @ 1:54 PM
That worked excellently. :)
Thanks Teru!!

I heard about Audacity, but I didnt know it was free!!!

permalink   essesq Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 10:06 AM
I asked this question a while back. I wound up trying to use Wavepad and got all befuddled. My question re: Audacity is - is there a noticeable pitch change with the BPM change in Audacity? Maybe that’s what Colab is talking about.

…done like dinner …very cute ;-).

permalink   teru Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 10:43 AM
is there a noticeable pitch change with the BPM change in Audacity?

No changing the tempo/BPM does not change the pitch.

I believe what collab was talking about are large changes to the BPM. There is a limit to the amount the tempo can be changed before the quality of the sound is compromised.

This is where I hope someone comes in to suggest a better program. Audacity is what I use, I don’t know any better. :)

permalink   spinmeister Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 11:38 AM
yes, large changes in BPM will introduce audio artifacts with all of the programs I know of.

Of course all of this is done with very fancy math algorithms (formulae). I believe it’s safe to say that there are only very few algorithms, which are then used by various software makers.

The state of the art in algorithms has become better over the years. (larger BPM changes / lesser audio artifacts).

HOWEVER: There’s quite a difference between free and entry level stuff and some of the leading edge (more pricey) software.

I have hands on experience with Cubase over the last 6 major versions. And the BPM change capability has improved dramatically.

And from everything I hear, that’s the case with all of the major DAW software makers.

Oh - and just in case this isn’t obvious: It is a borderline miracle that it works as well as it does. BPM change in the old days meant you sped up or slowed down the tape. And many instruments as well as the human voice don’t lend themselves to that very well (the famous chipmunk recordings were a simple speed change). These mathematicians of sound, who create these algorithms are freakin’ geniuses. As far as I’m concerned, they deserve some patent licensing money for what they have made possible.

p.s. Most of the above holds true for pitch change software, too.

p.p.s. There’s another BPM change approach which works only for percussive material by slicing the original sample into little snippets and re-assembling it according to the new BPM. This is what’s going on with REX2 files as well as with acidized wav files.
victor
permalink   Thu, Oct 1, 2009 @ 12:58 AM
What programs do you have?
David Ve
permalink   Sun, Oct 4, 2009 @ 12:47 PM
Hey.
Would help if you tell us WHICH program you need help with.. :) If you don’t yet have one, check the list below:
1.) ableton
2.) Logic
3.) Cubase
4.) WAVELAB
5.) Soundforge

Most hae demos that you can download. You can find tons of how-to’s on youtube…

Quote: VidianHello!!
I looked for about 8 minutes on the forum, and gave up, and decided to post my Question… o.o

Does anyone know of a program that changes a sample from an inputted BPM to a different inputted bpm? Did that make sense? I know what the bpm of the sample is and I know what bpm I want it to be, I just don’t know how to do it. :\
Cuz I’m lame, and would rather ask someone instead of learning how to use the programs I already ahve :)