Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Women: Singing & Remixing & Producing

Women: Singing & Remixing & Producing

Kaer Trouz
permalink   Thu, Jul 2, 2009 @ 10:14 AM
Just wanted to say that it feels way less lonely around here now. It makes my heart swell to hear all these new voices fluttering and soaring.
essesq
permalink   Thu, Jul 2, 2009 @ 3:14 PM
Amen (oops, I meant wo-men) sister. About time. Now it’s safe I might even come out of my cave.

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jul 2, 2009 @ 4:48 PM
Quote: essesqNow it’s safe I might even come out of my cave.

YES!!!! Come out and play!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, Jul 2, 2009 @ 4:46 PM
In the few short months I’ve been hanging around, I have heard a lot about the boys club at ccM, but I must say, the creativity of the women is amazing and totally inspirational! Everyone has a unique voice and it is fabulous beyond words to have a venue in which to experience them all!

permalink   Kaer Trouz Sat, Jul 4, 2009 @ 1:19 PM
BTW congrats on the ed pick. That brings the percentage of female produced ed picks up to 1.6% (there have been 4 total)!!!
spinmeister
permalink   Thu, Jul 2, 2009 @ 6:09 PM
I, for one, welcome our female musical overlords :-)
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, Jul 3, 2009 @ 8:13 PM
Well said.

Too many segments of traditional music and “mainstream” remix culture still work in very gender-biased ways.

While we do our parts to tear down the payola-stained edifices of the
traditional record industry, let’s all do our part to rip down the “girls sing, boys play instruments, engineer and run the show” bias which deserves entombment with other extinct dinosaurs.

Seeing this happen on the mixter, in an organic, home-grown, mixteresque way has been great.

We live in a time of endless possibility. Softsynths, softstudios, and remix stations don’t care about your gender or race or nationality or religion or preferences or age or notions.

You sample and mix and it erupts from the speakers, ready to be heard and shared.
teru
permalink   Sat, Jul 4, 2009 @ 1:53 PM
According to the Urban Dictionary, it’s still a sausage fest. (NTTAWWT)

Thank the Gods you girls are here to mix it up. :)
essesq
permalink   Thu, Jul 16, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
I was looking for a place to start a new thread but this one is perfect. I have been mumbling about doing a ladies’ choice podcast. The first show I want to feature the best of our women producers/artists.

I am not capable of choosing even between the tracks I know and love so I would like to toss this out to you, ladies of ccM. If you are a producer yourself, what is your favorite track that you have done or is there one you would nominate as offering a unique feminine perspective?

My general goal with the podcast is to highlight stuff girls like not just stuff girls make. I want it to be stuff that doesn’t require ten listens to appreciate (this is iTunes after all). Not pop per se but really attention grabbing and instantly likable.

I will also theme shows: e.g. Candlelight and Roses (romance), Babes in Arms (motherhood), etc. I will avoid domesticity and cookery as that is already covered by Mrs. Joseph :-).

I also intend to start a blog to talk about the music that gets chosen, the artists and the point of the show.

I am shooting for a show every two to three weeks. Any and all input from the women of ccM is welcome and indeed necessary :-). Thanks ladies!

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jul 16, 2009 @ 3:33 PM
Terrific! I will definitely be in touch! By the way, I hope I did not give the impression that The Mixin Kitchen is only about hearth and home. It too is a theme based program highlighting all the different flavors ccM has to offer!