skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Secret Mixter 5

Secret Mixter 5

teru
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 1:52 PM
Start date: Jan 31.
Upload date: Feb 16.

the following is a cut/paste/edit from a previous post by Porch Cat:

SecretMixter is a remix game. The names of the participants are collected and then each person is randomly assigned another participant. Everyone then produces a remix for the artist they received in the draw. There is no grand prize or material reward. The point of the game is to have some fun, test your skills with the random draw and see how your material is put to use.

SecretMixter is not an official game or contest of ccMixter and is not officially affiliated with ccMixter or Creative Commons. Please do not harass the ccMixter site admin or Creative Commons staff with questions, comments or concerns.

Rules:
1. You must have at least a couple of things to remix (or else it’s no fun for the person remixing you).
2. You will be assigned a person to remix on the Start date. Do not tell anyone who you are assigned. (Or else it’s a not a secret!)
3. At least 50% of the mix should be material from the person you have picked. (Anything is fair game. Originals, remixes, samples, a cappellas, et cetera.)
4. Do not upload your track until the Upload date.
5. Upload using the Submit Form.
6. Have FUN!!!

So come join in the fun!! Please reply to this thread.

*meow*

If you are interested, or have any additional questions just reply to this thread.

Hope you can join in.
DoKashiteru
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 2:26 PM
Sign me up! I loved the idea and was quietly hoping that there’d be another at some point. :D
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 2:44 PM
yeah, i’ll play.
duckett
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 5:26 PM
Um, *DING* ?
victor
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 5:27 PM
In - on two conditions: 1) no one expects too much from me since I’m traveling with only a laptop and 2) this one doesn’t have a “theme”

Also, I gen up a submit form that automatically adds the ‘secret_mixter’ when decide on dates.

VS
panu
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 5:49 PM
sounds great! i’ve got 2 pellas yet i haven’t used.
shagrugge
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 6:32 PM
count me in
Mana Junkie
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 7:13 PM
I are in.
essesq
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 8:25 PM
I might be in ;-). First a disclaimer…I recently suffered an attack by a computer virus that robbed me of my music production software (Cubase LE) and all my music projects, not to mention just about everything else on my PC, which included my writing and sage advice from many mixters which I had received via e-mail.

I have however just replaced the bad PC with a Macbook containing Garageband, and I just bought a (semi) real mic, so life isn’t that bad now :-).

I am learning this new environment so if time is pressured I may not come up with much. I’d appreciate a private e-mail with a realistic assessment of what’s expected. I would like the inspiration and pressure to produce of a project like this, maybe it would push me along :-).

permalink   Scott Altham Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:38 AM
Garage band is a great app. Its easy to learn and has some great sounding instruments available via the jam packs.

permalink   teru Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
I guarantee you’ll be fine.

permalink   essesq Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:46 PM
…I was going to ask for that in writing but I see I already have it ;-)…thanks for the vote of confidence..:-)… I shall try to prove worthy :-).

permalink   essesq Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:48 PM
…I just saw the dates..how firm are they????

permalink   teru Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 8:08 PM
Zero, maybe even negative value firmness. : )

permalink   essesq Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 8:27 PM
OK…I can work with that…:-)

permalink   sheever Thu, Jan 29, 2009 @ 2:57 PM
I had a same issuue.
use spybot 1.6 and Nod 32.!
install your system again and make a backup;)

permalink   essesq Thu, Jan 29, 2009 @ 6:43 PM
Thanks for the advice but I’m afraid all the data was lost before it could be backed up, or the people who promised to back it up failed to do so. Anyway, lesson learned. My new laptop has a data dinghy permanently attached to it :-).
Alex
permalink   Sat, Jan 24, 2009 @ 10:55 PM
Let’s play. Count me to!
spinmeister
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 3:25 AM
after all this time, I gotta try one of these :-)

permalink   spinmeister Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 3:30 AM
for the poor soul stuck with finding uploads from me, there’s also a number of my keyboard/synth tracks in remix packs here
Morusque
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 3:33 AM
I’m in !
J.Lang
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 4:24 AM
OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!
khidir
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 4:46 AM
i’m in, does this make me a cool cat?
irish4t
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:23 AM
Oh, it sounds interesting!!!

I’ve wanted chances to try new remixes.
Scott Altham
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:36 AM
Oh yes. I’m there…
wellman
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 7:45 AM
Count me in!!!
Compusician aka EinStud
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 8:22 AM
It is worth a try!
Vidian
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 11:25 AM
Sounds Like fun!
:D
gurdonark
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 1:32 PM
great idea! What a fun way to spend a winter’s remixing time. Please sign me up!
Anchor
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 2:19 PM
Secret Mixter 5 ! Please add me - I always love these things! Thanks Anchor
onlymeith
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 2:52 PM
Ok, sign me up.
radiotimes
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 5:48 PM
I like games where you can keep your clothes on.

But for this one I’ll probably remove my socks!
illi
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 6:16 PM
sweet count me
vo1k1
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 6:45 PM
Absolutely sign me up - this is great.
Sr. Privado
permalink   Sun, Jan 25, 2009 @ 6:47 PM
Sign me in. One of my resolutions for this year is to remix more on ccMixter and so far I am failing. Some additional pressure can help.
gmz
permalink   Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 2:39 AM
Here I am! I love random things!!!

(btw, just uploaded a small sample pack, my first one, hope someone will enjoy :)
shagrugge
permalink   Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 8:11 AM
Teru,

The way Porch Cat set it up he had us go to a site log in and enter our names and we would be randomly assigned a person to remix…
( you know this but in case others don’t)

My question is…with all the folks signing up…how are we going to do the random assignment part of the game?

This always brought out some of the best mixes on the site and really focused on the concept of sample digging…I always have a great time doing the secret mixter mixes.

permalink   teru Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 11:08 AM
“how are we going to do the random assignment part of the game?”

My guess:

1. Use a random generator like this one
2. Send emails out.

Any volunteers? : )

permalink   victor Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 12:27 PM
nah, I think it has be done in the system so we don’t publish emails anywhere.

For the last one I remember I wrote a script that did the random pair ups and even did the email’ing - but I can’t find it (ugh)

It’s not rocket surgery, I’ll do it on Sat.

So the answer is: If you’re contact info here at ccM is up to date then you’ll get notified on Sat.

If you’re contact info is not up to date then go fix that!

VS

permalink   shagrugge Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 12:46 PM
Thanks V…my head hurt trying to figure out who was going to punch everyone into the random number generator and how we were going to work this chaos into order. You da man!

permalink   teru Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 1:05 PM
Thank you.

Can you set that up for future use too? That would be really handy.

permalink   DURDEN Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 6:53 PM
3 questions. When will finsish the signup process, when will be announced the random mix assignments and how much time will be for the mix process (deadline).

Thks.

permalink   victor Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 7:01 PM
1. See the top of this thread
2. You will get email (hopefully sat.)
3. See the top of this thread

Just so everybody understands:

You will be told in SECRET who are supposed to remix. Don’t tell anybody who were assigned, until you upload the remix.

VS

permalink   essesq Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 8:08 PM
“It’s not rocket surgery”

…says Victor… that would be “rocket science” or “brain surgery” …sorry too cute to pass up without comment…

Thanks for your help Victor …:-)..your dedication always shines through :-).

Also,in case any other neurotic people are reading this thread…. the deadline is for no uploads before the date stated… I think you can take as long as you like ..the idea is to avoid revealing potential remix partners any sooner than necessary thus maintaining the intrigue… …am I right guys..if not a little slow ;-)?

permalink   victor Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 8:16 PM
(*edit*)

to be clear: the “upload date” is, indeed, when you’re supposed to upload - everybody uploads during that day. Not before, not after (if you can help it)

and what can I say, I’m just a sucker for a remix.

permalink   DURDEN Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 7:01 PM
mmm. IT would be perfect for me to have a month to do the remix, I love makin music but my free time is very limited. Two weeks is a little short for me.

permalink   vo1k1 Wed, Jan 28, 2009 @ 4:11 PM
Quote: DURDENmmm. IT would be perfect for me to have a month to do the remix, I love makin music but my free time is very limited. Two weeks is a little short for me. I’d love to have a month also - but will work with whatever timeframe we go with.
DURDEN
permalink   Mon, Jan 26, 2009 @ 6:45 PM
Ok, lets find some free time.
I´m in.
Herrenzimmer Produktion
permalink   Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 5:34 AM
I’m in.

permalink   teru Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 9:19 AM
Just to double check because I see you don’t have any remixes uploaded.

You are able to remix someone else for this game?

permalink   Herrenzimmer Produktion Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 11:41 PM
Sure I am. I’m also gonna upload some instrumental-tracks the next days, too.
Ivan Chew
permalink   Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 6:10 AM
Please count me in.

Will go for it since there’s nothing that says I’ll be blacklisted for failing to submit a remix after signing up :P (but seriously, will I? ‘cos I won’t want to submit something that doesn’t do justice to the other person).

permalink   teru Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 9:16 AM
No there is no blacklisting. Just public humiliation and mocking.

I’m kidding, everyone is in it for the fun of it. If you have fun no one will have a problem. : )

permalink   victor Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 1:25 PM
well, by signing up you agree to one thing: submitting a remix.

It would kind of suck for the person that you get assigned if you can’t do that… I say: don’t sign up if you don’t intent to upload. Sometimes circumstances, like life, come up and you can’t get it done, no harm done. but if you’re asking up front “is it ok?” I’m not crazy about that. This is a gift exchange, you’re expected to pony up.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 2:18 PM
Quote: Ivan Chew…. ‘cos I won’t want to submit something that doesn’t do justice to the other person).

well you’re not being judged and it’s the thought that counts and matters. Like fourstones said, if someone participates and sends something in but gets nothing back, that kind of sucks. no, it does suck. if you can’t commit to sending something in, don’t play. nobody will hate you for it, and you won’t run the risk of being called out in a public forum of your friends. :)

that said, if anyone gets stiffed, i’ll take it upon myself to cover that person as well. there will be no stiffees.

permalink   shagrugge Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 7:07 PM
Honestly I can probably speak for everyone when I say that we just get kicks out of someone taking the time to listen to our stuff…cut up some samples and make a remix. At least that is the general impression I got from participating.

permalink   Ivan Chew Thu, Jan 29, 2009 @ 6:34 AM
OK, I’m still in. And I’ll have fun. I don’t intend to stiff anyone. :)
kthugha
permalink   Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 2:39 PM
I haven’t submitted any uploads other than remixes - I’m not even sure how to do it. But I have an absolute smorgasbord of loops and crud and junk (all of it good, of course!) which I could upload for others to use.

I will strive to get as much material up before Jan 31. If it is deemed I have enough material, please include me!

permalink   DoctorFilter Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 3:13 PM
Sounds fun. Where do we sign up?

permalink   teru Tue, Jan 27, 2009 @ 3:17 PM
kthugha - You’ll be fine. Samples would really spice things up. Please

DoctorFilter- You definitely do not have enough to remix yet. Maybe next time. : )
Johnny SockHead
permalink   Wed, Jan 28, 2009 @ 6:59 AM
I’m ready to sign up too!

permalink   shimoda Wed, Jan 28, 2009 @ 6:51 PM
It has been a while, oh too long, sign…me…up!!!
shimoda
permalink   Wed, Jan 28, 2009 @ 6:52 PM
I mean sign me up! By the Way, I didn’t know there was a Secret Mixter 1-4? I am out of da loop.
State Shirt
permalink   Wed, Jan 28, 2009 @ 10:20 PM
me too me too!
rokamic
permalink   Thu, Jan 29, 2009 @ 12:30 AM
I’m down
MarcoRaaphorst
permalink   Thu, Jan 29, 2009 @ 11:34 PM
this time I think I can do it. nice idea!!
Morusque
permalink   Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 12:35 PM
Why don’t we just do something like
“Mr A” remixes “Mr B”
“Mr B” remixes “Mr C”
“Mr C” remixes “Mr A”
?

So that it doesn’t matter if we are an even number or not, and it’s also more surpising.

permalink   teru Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 1:59 PM
Victor has that end figured out.

I’m just assuming we need an even number. I’m not entirely sure.

permalink   victor Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 6:19 PM
I have special code that says if the final number is odd to add MC Jack twice (seriously - he volunteered ;))

I tested this run’s code last night and it seems to work. (Sorry, teru, it’s not generalized or has a web interface, that would literally mean 10 times the amount of code and testing. I’m not saying it won’t happen in the future, clearly this is a popular “feature” lol just not this time.)

I don’t have a clue when to run it - it’s 1:15PM on Sat the 31st right now where I am. I’ll probably run it tomorrow around this time.
teru
permalink   Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 2:24 PM
Final list of participants(38):

teru, DoKashiteru, MC Jack in the Box, duckett, fourstones, panu moon, shagrugge, Mana Junkie, essesq, Alex, spinmeister, Morusque, J.Lang, khidir, etherdust, irish4t, scottaltham, wellman, compusician, Vidian, Gurdonark, Anchor Méjans, onlymeith, colab, radiotimes, illi, vo1k1, Sr. Privado, gmz, DURDEN, Tanzmob2000, Ivan Chew, kthugha, Johnny SockHead, shimoda, State Shirt, rokamic, MarcoRaaphorst.

permalink   victor Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 6:23 PM
oh man this is perfect - I was extracting the names from this thread lol. If you keep it up to date for the next 24 hours I’ll cut and paste if from this. This really saved me a lot of work, thanks!
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 3:32 PM
so just to confirm, we’ll get our assignments sometime tomorrow?

permalink   teru Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 4:07 PM
Yes, fourstones will be using his magic to send those email out to everyone on the 31st.

I have no idea which time zone though. : )
THERUNNNER
permalink   Sat, Jan 31, 2009 @ 6:36 AM
I am in!

permalink   teru Sat, Jan 31, 2009 @ 10:36 AM
You would need more things to remix to make it interesting. Maybe next time. : )
victor
permalink   Sat, Jan 31, 2009 @ 4:44 PM
this thread is closed.

continued here: http://ccmixter.org/thread/...