Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Using Speaker Impulse Responses for Mix Portability

Using Speaker Impulse Responses for Mix Portability

vo1k1
permalink   Sat, Jun 28, 2008 @ 4:54 PM
Mixing for portability across a number of playback systems and environments is a struggle for me (e.g., the feedback loop between trying a new eq setting and auditioning in the car is brutal).

I started using the following technique, which is pretty nice for getting a good percentage there, without the pitfalls of dashing to every audition environment.

Load Speaker IRs into a convolver as the last plugin on the mix buss.

Is this obvious? Do many people do this? It seemed like a nice tip to share!
Surveillance_Party
permalink   Wed, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:10 AM
What a clever idea vo1k1!

How is this working for you? Do you find you’re getting an adequate representation of the different speaker types using this method?

I suppose that its impossible to technically get 100% the sound of say a car using this method, seeing as its still yor monitors making the sound, and its still bouncing around in your particular mix room, but I don’t suppose this would really be an impediment to it practical use.

I’m heading over to gearslutz to ask the honcho’s what they think, keep an eye out for the thread.

permalink   Surveillance_Party Wed, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:15 AM
I posted it in the mastering forum. I just looked at the link, and its come up with your tag in part of it. Sorry, I didn’t think that would happen. Want me to delete it? I don’t mind.

permalink   vo1k1 Wed, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:39 AM
Hey SP, glad you like the tip :)

Please go ahead and post at GS! What is the URL? I did have a post on the subject, but did not get a reply. Maybe your post will market itself better :)

It is absolutely not a 100% solution for a number of reasons (like the ones you note). But it is very good at *quickly* previewing and revising with several *emulated* speakers/environments. So, depending on your time and resources, this can be a real advantage.

Post the GS URL? Also, if you try, let me know how it goes?

permalink   Surveillance_Party Wed, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:47 AM
http://www.gearslutz.com/bo...

no replies yet but I’m hopeful :)
spinmeister
permalink   Wed, Jul 2, 2008 @ 6:42 PM
Quote: vo1k1auditioning in the car is brutal
I’ve never dared to fire a gun shot in my car to record the impulse response :-)

permalink   victor Thu, Jul 3, 2008 @ 6:18 PM
I’ve had the painful experience of turning my car around on the way to dropping off DIY masters.

But all that nonsense stopped when I got a pair of real speakers and a sound level meter - plus four years of trying to get better.

now I’m not saying my DIY mixes are perfect or even consistently professional sounding but since I got that setup I’ve stopped racing around the house and the car with and without headphones and ipods etc. to get the basic thing done.

permalink   spinmeister Thu, Jul 3, 2008 @ 7:28 PM
I just splurged on a pair of these :-)

permalink   vo1k1 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 @ 7:59 PM
Quote: spinmeisterI just splurged on a pair of these :-)

Nice :) How well does the room correction stuff work for you?

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:02 PM
shooting the room was very quick to set up and perform: plug in the little special mike into the left speaker, put that mike to where I usually sit, press a specific button sequence on the left speaker, and 10 seconds later it’s done.

While I’m not a professional sound engineer, the one thing I noticed immediately is, that the sound out of the speakers seems so incredibly smooth. No harsh sonic edges anywhere. So I think I’m definitely suffering from less ear fatigue than with any other sets of speakers I’ve had before.

permalink   victor Thu, Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:23 PM
heh - well, it took 18mos to pay mine off.

The scary ones are the $20k version that they have at my son’s audio engineering school.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:06 PM
hehe - at least you’ve generated some revenue with your music - while for me the pay-back curve (in a P&L sense) is firmly fixed pointing at infinity :-)

permalink   victor Fri, Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:12 PM
Quote: spinmeisterat least you’ve generated some revenue

I used to past tense

permalink   vo1k1 Thu, Jul 3, 2008 @ 8:14 PM
Quote: fourstonesI’ve had the painful experience of turning my car around on the way to dropping off DIY masters.

I like that post. For me, getting something bounced that is competitively loud for mp3 distribution is a real problem, in terms of esthetic quality.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:19 PM
yeah - compression for loudness is both a hideous thing from an aesthetics perspective, and on the other hand a vital thing from a practical perspective. I practically never listen to music in a serenely quiet environment, so soft passages get drowned out unless compressed.

I often even wish classical music was compressed a little more, or ideally speaking: car stereos (or any music system) should have compressors, so one could adjust the compression during playback rather than during mastering.