Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Features » What time is it?

What time is it?

Aamu
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 2:49 AM
Pardon my frustration (and my Fren… Finnish).

As there are ccmixters all around the world, sometimes it is annoying when you don’t realize what time it is. Competitions are just one case, when waiting for submitting entries or racing against deadlines, but sometimes you upload this amazing track and wait for comments in vain for six hours, just to realize everyone must be sleeping.

So, could the current server time show somewhere? (A GMT offset would be fine too.) Where the helevetinjeera is ccmixter.org physically?
victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 7:52 AM
Quote: deadlines, but sometimes you upload this amazing track and wait for comments in vain for six hours, just to realize everyone must be sleeping.

So, could the current server time show somewhere? (A GMT offset would be fine too.) Where the helevetinjeera is ccmixter.org physically?

The contests are all marked as PST which is GMT-8

Of course it’s currently PDT which is GMT-7

http://wwp.greenwichmeantim...

and servers are in the midwest somewhere (Texas?) where it’s GMT-5 (I think)

Dude. Your mixes are all 5’s — they are very cool and you’re a huge asset to the site. That’s what time it is.;)

Peace,
VS

victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 7:54 AM
actually, I lied, the contest deadline is "PT" so I guiess that’s GMT-7
Aamu
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:10 AM
Quote: actually, I lied, the contest deadline is "PT" so I guiess that’s GMT-7

Thank’s for the info! I’ve noticed the deadlines have been marked as PT, the question has been about starting, which I guess 12:00 AM PT if only a date is given.

So, while in Finland its GMT+2 (or GMT+3 now, while we use the Daylight Saving Time, too) it seems that I live 10 hours ahead of the site… Well, gotta live with that and try to remember that with the deadlines.

Quote: Dude. Your mixes are all 5’s — they are very cool and you’re a huge asset to the site. That’s what time it is.;)

Kiitos! I feel proud to be important here.

I’m sorry I wasn’t awake last night when you sent your e-mail, I would have been happy to help testing. Hope that teru was there. As a PHP-addict I think I could be helping with the code every now and then, too.
Aamu
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:12 AM
Oh, I didn’t edit the PST’s to PT in my reply when noticed your post, but I guess you’ll understand what I tried to say.
victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:22 AM
(everybody realizes today is the FIRST day we’re taking entries of a SIX WEEK period, right? — in order to actually MISS the deadline would mean a time zone at least 6 weeks off ;) )
teru
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:26 AM
"to actually MISS the deadline would mean a time zone at least 6 weeks off"

I for one do not want to risk it. : )

Aamu- I think Victor thinks we’re freaks. : )
victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:27 AM
Quote: I’m sorry I wasn’t awake last night when you sent your e-mail, I would have been happy to help testing. Hope that teru was there. As a PHP-addict I think I could be helping with the code every now and then, too.

hmmm, a PHP-addict who sleeps… seems contradictory but if you say so.

The next rev of this site is open sourced php/mysql and yea, we could definitely use help. Keep watching here in the next few weeks.
Aamu
permalink   Wed, Jun 15, 2005 @ 8:58 AM
Quote: a time zone at least 6 weeks off
Well, most of the time I live in my own world. Six weeks IRL can pass by not noticing very easily :)

Quote: hmmm, a PHP-addict who sleeps… seems contradictory but if you say so.
I have a 3½ months old son, Benjamin. His lifestyle makes me tired every now and then… But he’s also one of the reasons I let go of the real world and its timezones sometimes. (It’s wonderful to see him grow, and now that he’s making nose other than crying, he’s bound to feature on an Aamu track some day.)

I’ve also noticed that serious work cuts the edge of every addiction. I hope never to become that serious pro in music that I wouldn’t enjoy it this much anymore.

Quote: The next rev of this site is open sourced php/mysql and yea, we could definitely use help. Keep watching here in the next few weeks.
I will. I’ll be on my vacation after next week, and away some time in July, but besides DeBenedictis remixes I don’t have anything to do after Ben goes to sleep.