Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Attributing licensors where space is limited

Attributing licensors where space is limited

Herewave
permalink   Thu, Jul 26, 2007 @ 12:32 AM
This is a licensing issue. I read the sticky, which is why I asked for help at the Creative Commons Community discussion board. I received this response.

My ongoing problem is concerned with selling music on iTunes. I would be using CD Baby’s service, where they send the files, artist name, album name, and track list to the music stores. No other details are sent to iTunes and the like, which makes attributing sample artists under the CC-BY 3.0 license difficult, since no metadata is sent. Featuring artists in a song title would be impossible for me, since this remix uses eight samples, which would make for a song name that’s too long.

I suggested in the CC mailing list post that I could refer to songs by their ccMixter IDs, such as the remix I previously mentioned would be known as “Take to the Streets (ccMixter 6679).” The response I received was a question of whether or not that song title would be “up to the original licensor as to whether or not it is reasonable enough attribution.” I think that the question is ccMixter-specific, since the samples I’m using are all hosted here. If referring to ccMixter IDs in the title does not qualify, I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas as to what satisfies the licensing requirements.
victor
permalink   Thu, Jul 26, 2007 @ 2:19 AM
There’s nothing special about CC attribution that differs from song publisher’s rights and agreements that require (almost 100% of the time) attribution, producer, musicians, etc. I am not allowed to give legal advice and you’d be mistaken to take anything in reply to your message here as legally binding. Having said that I would ask iTunes how they deal with publisher’s attribution.
Herewave
permalink   Thu, Jul 26, 2007 @ 11:02 PM
I recognize that you cannot give accurate legal advice. The attribution license is an issue BECAUSE my situation is subjective. The question is whether or not “Take to the Streets (ccMixter 6679)” would be considered as attribution by the licensing artists (artists providing the samples). I suppose a more succinctly rephrased question would be, “Would sample artists be offended if…” or even, “Would you mind?”

In addition, it would be imprudent to consult Apple or iTMS support, because they are not experts on the Creative Commons, and the issue is nebulous to all online music stores, not Apple’s alone.
victor
permalink   Fri, Jul 27, 2007 @ 12:55 AM
all I’m saying is that I’m sure songwriting credits are required by publishers and yet I generally don’t see them on most online digital stores.