Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » 5,000 'Pells - New 'Pell Browser

5,000 'Pells - New 'Pell Browser

victor
permalink   Fri, Nov 13, 2015 @ 6:07 PM
Hey congrats to everyone for passing 5,000 a cappellas !! (!!!) - amazing and unique on the web.

And in case you haven’t noticed - we’ve enabled a brand new ‘Pells browser on the site - just click on the A Cappella tab at the top of this page to check it out.

Peace,
Victor
Quarkstar
permalink   Sat, Nov 14, 2015 @ 7:58 PM
Wonderful, thank you very much.

Without Flash its been pretty horrid trying to find and review samples. This is much better, especially with the instant downloads.

permalink   victor Sun, Nov 15, 2015 @ 4:39 PM
sure! I’ll be re-doing the actual sample browser next

wnm
permalink   Mon, Nov 16, 2015 @ 8:09 AM
Just giving a try to the new browser…
1/I can’t read any infos about the track.
2/How do I download the pell???
(I’m using windows 8)

permalink   victor Mon, Nov 16, 2015 @ 9:44 AM
Windows 8 shouldn’t matter as long you’re on IE10 or any latter day Firefox or Chrome.

what happens when you click on a title?

permalink   wnm Mon, Nov 16, 2015 @ 11:49 PM
Sorry, I didn’t see the symbol (@ccmixter at the bottom of the page) that gives you access to the track infos.
Works fine, especially with Android on my cellphone, that’s a plus!

permalink   victor Tue, Nov 17, 2015 @ 8:30 AM
what kind of info do what to see? I can certainly add a tab in the pell browser itself…

permalink   wnm Tue, Nov 17, 2015 @ 9:03 AM
For example, regarding the first pell by Stefan K.
He wrote “a little song about sleeping and dreaming… Etc”
This doesn’t appear on the new main page.
…am I wrong???

permalink   victor Tue, Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:10 PM
it’s there now! ;) I just added it

you may have to refresh your browser to see it.

Any else?

permalink   wnm Tue, Nov 17, 2015 @ 1:22 PM
No.
Great work.
Thanks!
spinmeister
permalink   Thu, Nov 26, 2015 @ 12:51 PM
… looks awesome! And the player at the bottom lifts it into the upper echelon of the Interwebs. Love it!

Not sure, if the following is a feature or a bug, or if I’m just missing something: When the browser window is less than a certain width, the “filters” button seems to disappear?

And a potential feature request, if it’s not too messy to add: maybe show the length of the pells (mm:ss)? It’s not always a meaningful number, but for spoken word pieces it often is. And it’s always a meaningful maximum - i.e. if I see a 0:30, I know that the total sonic goodness in the file definitely isn’t more than half a minute.

p.s. Just curious: Is it fair to assume you’re using an open source library for the player? If yes, I’d be curious what you’re using.

permalink   victor Sun, Nov 29, 2015 @ 7:32 PM
between bug and feature is “as designed” - when the window gets too small (like on mobile) using that filter interface makes the whole thing pretty much unusable so, for now, it goes away.

regarding the reasoning on time: you’re going to preview the thing before you download no matter what the time length is, aren’t you?

The source for the whole project (which includes dig, the pell browser and the new sample/stems browser) is at github. Currently using soundmanager2 but experimenting with aurora to play FLAC.

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Nov 30, 2015 @ 10:39 AM
regarding the reasoning on time: as it sits now, I actually have to download just to find out the time, not just preview. But not a biggie, if it’s a PITA to add to the UI.

thanks for the info re soundmanager2 and aurora!

permalink   victor Mon, Nov 30, 2015 @ 11:45 AM
showing the time is not a problem (refresh your browser)

I’m trying to get a bead on how people use our site(s) - - I’m not sure I see how knowing the playtime affects your decision to download or not (?)

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Dec 4, 2015 @ 12:33 PM
Thanks for adding the time to the detail box!

Regarding site usage: I’m accessing ccM from multiple devices. Win7, OS/X, iOS small screen, iOS medium screen: 9.7”

Current regular usage:
Win7: everything, including up and downloading
OSX: everything, except up and downloading
iOS: currently occasional browsing, listening to a specific song (not logged in) — BUT: with your current efforts to make things less Flash dependent and mobile UI friendly, I look forward to more commenting and recommending during times when not at a computer, so your current work will likely increase my iOS usage significantly.

I use time as one of the high level signals (along with bpm, title, description, and tags) to decide if a pell might work for my current mood, concept, and appetite for the amount of work it will take to massage. e.g. a lengthy spoken word piece will take extra work to massage into a 5 minute remix. A very short melodic pell will take extra work to keep interesting in a 5 minute pop song. Or conversely: it may be ideal for a mashup with multiple sources or for a mostly instrumental EDM production with few vocal hooks. So I make quite a few filtering decisions based on metadata before even listening or downloading. The argument could be made that with the massive and growing volume of ccM content, filtering is becoming increasingly important, whether it be via tags, curation, search or whatever.