Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » Not wanting to be sound paranoid here, but please take note

Not wanting to be sound paranoid here, but please take note

stellarartwars
permalink   Thu, Sep 18, 2014 @ 11:26 PM
Three interesting computer issues here.

Firstly, on downloading video coversion software from all my reputable windows freeware hosts I got a virus warning.

3gp-AVI convertor, various names.

Eventually I presumed false positive and acted accordingly.

Result? I’m looking at a day reformatting and reloading my laptop.

Next up, myself and my other half like to make bizarre alternative comedy / reality TV vids, a world famous one of the latter course being The Only Way Is Essex.

We’re from Essex ourselves, and though not part of that show do something similar. Ours is generally amateur fun, never malicious or even non-PC.

One video included my wife singing live along to Madonna, a not well known 80’s track Promise To Try (please don’t hate her, we’re huge fans).

It was so low in the background that you couldn’t hear Madonna’s singing, but since my wife has just resumed her singing career after a five year break due to illness, a worldwide block and good YouTube status being threatened???

The song is Madonna’s tribute to her mother, my wife lost hers this year.

All that screams “fair use”. We’ve signed young talent on these sort of videos from amateurs singing along to their pop star heros. So banning videos which are no way piracy (there’s whole films and albums up there free)??

Last up was a upgrade to closed source add ons that allow for the streaming of internet content and so forth, which many Linux users generally need to use to some extent. Since doing so the sound on a major CC site does not play properly.

I love conspiracy theories and write stuff about them, because it’s entertaining after all, so why not?

Yet the three things that happened to me this week are not far fetched at all, because they happened.

So I’d just guess coincidence, don’t get worried bu *do* take care.

Luv,

Andrew and Katie from SAW
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Sep 21, 2014 @ 12:45 PM
As far as I’m aware, and I’m not a lawyer, covering a Madonna track and posting that video is not considered fair use, no matter how well intended. It’s uncertain why some videos don’t receive Takedowns and others do. Perhaps it is a matter of monitoring.

My sincere condolences to your family for your loss.

This is why we work so diligently to create original content here under CC license.

I hope you get your computer reformatted without too much trouble.

Peace.