Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Upgrading My Mixing Canvas? (aka software)

Upgrading My Mixing Canvas? (aka software)

Joel Frijters
permalink   Thu, May 10, 2012 @ 9:06 AM
I have out-grown Acid Pro and although I have liked using it in the past I am thinking I need a new multi-track mixer. Any suggestions? The two reasons for switching are instability (of Acid) and I don’t really do loop based stuff so a lot of its benefits aren’t for me. Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Javolenus
permalink   Thu, Jun 7, 2012 @ 6:38 AM
Hi there. I went online to see if I could find any info for you. Seems Acid Pro is pretty well liked overall. Other packages that seem popular are Ableton Live and Adobe Audition. I just bumbled my way into this whole digital music thing and several years ago bought Cakewalk’s Sonar Home Studio purely on its budget price. I’m still using it. I did beef up my signal processing with iZotope stuff (see their website for products), which I rely on totally. I also bought some decent vst instruments, notably “Rapture”, “iDrum” and “Jamstix” (I don’t use a midi keyboard—any midi I do is scored by hand in the editor). I record with a Samson C01 Studio Condenser Mic. Most of my guitar stuff is played/recorded on an ancient Washburn acoustic. I recently had some repair work done at my flat and the guy who came is/was a music nutter. He immediately spotted my gear and launched to a lengthy soliloquy about his own gear and how my cheapo stuff isn’t so good. I played him one of my ccMixter tracks and for a moment he was speechless. Then he said, somewhat incredulously, “You made that track with this stuff?!”

permalink   Kara Square Wed, Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:08 PM
I feel like pretty much any music software is fine if you know how to use it well. Your set-up sounds good to me. :) (I AM a bit of a snob about guitars though- really love Martins.) Side note- for recording midi, I use a $5 Radio Shack keyboard that happens to have a midi output. Works GREAT!

permalink   Subliminal Wed, Jul 4, 2012 @ 1:01 PM
I absolutely agree with you. You can have a lot of fancy equipment, but if you don’t know how to use it then it will still sound pretty shite. I don’t think that there is one single piece of music software that is the best. In the end it is what you are used to or what suits your needs the best.
Kara Square
permalink   Wed, Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:02 PM
I used to use ProTools and Reason on a Mac. I recently converted to Reaper and love it. (I found out about it on the forums from Speck.) It’s simple, fast, and intuitive. Perfect for the more acoustic folks. I now do my music creation entirely on a PC with a MBox2 interface. I have an old version of Acid that I sometimes use to mess with loops and such. TRack is completely awesome for mastering. Melodyne is amazing for pitch correction/shifing. My bandmate uses Fruity Loops, so I have a lot of experience with that. He used to use Cubase, but the newer version of Fruity Loops is pretty darn solid for all needs. We do some live recording with it, but mostly record midi, mess with loops, and lay out our songs. I would use Fruity Loops myself if I didn’t like Reaper so darn much. It’s wonderful for cutting up vocals (which I’m constantly doing). The end. ;)
annabloom
permalink   Tue, Jun 19, 2012 @ 3:22 PM
yep, like Kara, Reaper it is - comes with a budget price ($60 i think) but is by no means a budget application. also constantly improved. very stable. 64/32 bit versions, windows/mac (no native Linux - but from what i read works very well with Wine).
Re VST i can only recommend the Native Instruments Komplete, 500 euro (but i also saw it from about $450 plus Midi keyboard thrown in). gives you all you need in vsti/vst.
sindee
permalink   Fri, Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:49 AM
Actually, I also hear that Acid Pro is good and very beneficial as well but I am also looking for something new. Just waiting :)