Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » very sad news

very sad news

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Mon, Sep 12, 2011 @ 5:14 PM
I am very sorry to share that our dear Fireproof Babies (Joe Lincoln) has passed away. I do not have any details, only learning about it through a facebook post made by his sister:

This is Joe’s little sister Katie. He asked me in a note he left to let his friends know that he has gone. Please remember my brother for the bright, caring, sweet person that he was, and know that he has peace now. A graveside gathering will take place this Thursday at ten o’clock at Ridgelawn cemetery in Collinsville. Thank you all for showing Joe your love and friendship.

The “Babies” as he sometimes referred to himself brought the depth of his feeling and experience to all he did, using his music to navigate a challenging world. I know that I will miss him and am deeply saddened to hear of his passing.

Fireproof Babies Tribute Mixes
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Sep 12, 2011 @ 5:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear this news. He was a great member of our community, and his music was fascinating. He is and will be missed.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Sep 12, 2011 @ 8:27 PM
I am broken hearted just learning this terrible news. Joe’s musical gifts enriched the ccMixter community and we will not be the same without him. I am grateful the music he shared here us with lives on. May his family find comfort during this very difficult time.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Sep 16, 2011 @ 5:19 PM
The comments and remixes created in memory of Fireproof Babies are a beautiful tribute. I’m grateful for the powerful art and remixes Joe contributed to ccMixter — that live on. Thank you all for your thoughtfulness and kindness.
Subliminal
permalink   Mon, Sep 12, 2011 @ 11:05 PM
This is very sad news indeed. I realised that he was going through some very rough times, but hoped that he would pull through. I will remember him for the kindness he showed me by contributing several times to my remixes.
ScOmBer
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 4:29 AM
I am deeply shocked and saddened. I know Joe was fighting hard not to break those strings, but mate, im sure you are up there now with the best of them beating those drums as hard as you can and shredding with the volume way past 11. Rest in peace man. You will be remembered.
Speck
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 4:50 AM
He felt life hard and said so. His music was sometimes too wrenching for me to listen to, it was so true, so directly expressive, so dangerously able to take me down that same road. I shed a tear for one of my favorites. Very sad news indeed.
Down With Ben
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:02 AM
This is very sad. The week I discovered ccMixter, one of the first tracks I listened to was At a Monkey’s Wedding and instantly fell in love with his music. I will miss him. Perhaps we could could do a Fireproof Babies remix event in his honor?
Mana Junkie
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:18 AM
Sorry to hear this news. Though, I did not know Joe other than using his pells for a project or two. He was a nice enough fellow to offer me some tips when I first joined ccmixter.
Tenny
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:31 AM
Terrible news indeed. Fireproof Babies track Robot Girlfriend was actually the first CCMixter track I ever used in one of my mixes. Such a loss…
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:44 AM
This is devastating. I was somewhat aware that FB’s music had taken some somber tones the last few months, but as an artist who was always willing to fearlessly explore the unexplorable, perhaps I didn’t realize how deeply he felt it.

Your presence will always be felt here. We will never forget you or the Babies, Joe. And I’ll never forget how you could turn a ballad into a song about bugs. ;-)
AT
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 6:19 AM
so sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
essesq
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 9:50 AM
I agree with the others that this is very sad news. His nickname always puzzled me, but I loved his guitar playing. I respected his honesty and the way that he always stayed true to who he was.

He sent me a friend request on Facebook under his real name. Sadly because I did not recognize who he was I did not accept it. I hope somewhere, where he is, he can accept my apology.
Pitx
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 10:51 AM
It’s a very sad new. Now I feel alone… I have grown with him here in ccM.
Loveshadow
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 11:38 AM
A most peculiar feeling comes over me of hearing of this loss.

I once commented that he had the best Avatar / Band name I had heard. He still has.

I looked at his last few uploads and collectively they paint a tragic story.

I truly hope he has found some peace now.

RIP JOE LS
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 12:03 PM
Fireproof Babies contributed 197 remixes to ccMixter and has been remixed at least 185 times. Today we’re pausing the Tubed event to honor Joe. For those who would like to contribute a remix in memory of Fireproof Babies, please cut and past this ‘tribute, Fireproof_Babies’ to the tags of your remix. Peace.

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 2:56 PM
because the tags need to be system tags to be capture in the playlist, one of the admin need to add these tags. we’re watching the uploads, but if we miss one, email us. the songs that have been shared for FB are beautiful.
teru
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 12:05 PM
Very sad news.

Joe,

I am very happy to have crossed paths with you here. You were an inspiration to me and so many others. You created from your soul and shared it with your heart. You will be missed. May peace be with you.

Eric
onlymeith
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 12:25 PM
In our reviews, we called each other (my prog friend).
We shared tastes in music (especially King Crimson).
It’s a great honor to have shared music with FB.

Rest in peace my prog-rock friend.
Alex
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 12:28 PM
A very bad news…
Several month ago, in his reviews and replies, I remarked that it was going really bad with him. I wanted to wright a mail and try to chear him up or to help somehow, well, I didn’t… and I feel so sory for that
He was one of the first who remixed my track.
I’ll miss him, his music and the birthday wishes I got from him each year on facebook, and I didn’t even know his…
Rest in peace Joe!
Kara Square
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 1:26 PM
I feel overcome with grief… stunted. This is so breathtakingly sad. The honesty in his lyrics and music drew me in… the darkness marked with humor. Collaborating with him was an emotional process… I loved that he would go there… listen… express his truth… scream with a ripping guitar… and politely ask if it was too much (it never was to me). I am so deeply sorry for this loss.
victor
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 1:32 PM
This is a terrible blow. He was very popular here because his music is so very valuable and personal.

RIP and peace to his family and friends in real life. His virtual family will miss him dearly.
error404
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:23 PM
Nagyon sajnálom FB egy szín tűnt el örökre…
Nyugodjék Békében!
http://ccmixter.org/files/p...
panu
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:43 PM
i first met Joe many years ago when he was performing brilliant original material as Joe D. Lincoln & The Logs. that he lived and touched us with such unexpected magic is the most fitting tribute and legacy i can imagine.
Kaer Trouz
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 5:46 PM
I loved Joe very much, only in the way you can when you don’t really know someone. He was fragile, out there, funny, a lover of animals and very much alone at times. The collaboration I did with him, a few years ago, remains my most favorite track I ever made here at ccmixter. It was wild, mixed poorly, overly reverby, but mostly, Joe loved it.

http://ccmixter.org/files/K...

Here’s to you fireproof, because now you truly are.
copperhead
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 6:24 PM
Joe’s passing is a real bummer. It hurts just as much as it would if he was a close friend in real life. Joe did a remix Lost on one of my tunes
http://ccmixter.org/files/F...
and listening to the lyrics really hits home now. He wrote with total honesty and I didn’t realize what he was going through.
So many remixed him here with his fantastic drumming and guitar playing. It hurts just to listen to Lost now. Rest in peace Joe.
KCentric
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 7:17 PM
I will always remember FB (Joe) as a talented artist and a creative spirit.

Thanks 4 helping make ccMixter a cool place to be.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 7:46 PM
I remember the first time I saw his ccMixter handle “Fireproof Babies” and I thought, that is a baddass name. And as I got deeper into Joe’s contributions, I realized just how truly and honestly representative that name really was.

He was daring, provocative, wild, and aware. It’s in his voice, and in his music. Thanks Joe. You are an original. Namaste.
narva9
permalink   Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 8:41 PM
I am greatly sadden by news of Fireproofbabie’s passing. He was such a vibrant human force at ccmixter. An encouraging friend, generous collaborator, and creative soul.

FB, OldDog and I worked on a collaboration a long time back. It was one of the most rewarding musical experiences I have ever had. FB spun me a yarn and the resulting song was called Forever in My Heart. Sweet, sad and a little nostalgic, it seems appropriate to quote it now. FB, you will be greatly missed.

Forever in My Heart
Hello my friend, I hope you’re doing well
It’s been a while since I saw you last
I’m getting by, day by day
but I keep walking the same old paths
with the ghost of you by my side
even then I miss you so

Chorus
You’ve maked your territory, clawed up the ground
Aimed high, and left your mark on me
You’re just a beautiful memory now
but you live in my heart, forever in my heart

Love is such an infinite thing
I close my eyes and look within
and when the cold wind blows deep in my heart
I dream you again
I see your face, your smile, and your beautiful eyes
And I fall in love over again

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Tue, Sep 13, 2011 @ 8:47 PM
Can you upload your pella for this remix? I’m sure you’d have a number of folks interested in remixing it (myself included).

permalink   narva9 Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:22 PM
Hi there. The vocals are now uploaded. Peace.
Zep Hurme
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 12:21 AM
As long as his work will be listened and remixed he will live on. It’s a great thing that ccMixter has an actual living footprint of him (and also all of us) here - a footprint that continues to grow and shape to what ever the future brings socially, musically, technologically, …. In my book that is a living thing. Long live FB!
Clarance Boddyker
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 12:57 AM
R.I.P. Joe Lincoln A.K.A. Fireproof Babies

I just learned with this post that Fireproof Babies was one man - I seriously thought it was a group.

“Great Red Spot” (Feat. Billyray drum samples) is a prog-rock masterpiece http://ccmixter.org/files/F...- listening to it, I just knew that it was one guy directing a group.

But one man? Incredible.

I have never met Fireproof Babies, I didn’t know him -but knowing that he is no longer with us saddens me still.

He absolutely had the best stagename on CCM and he created compelling, progressive and undeniably memorable music.

The CC Mixter community, and the world at large unfamiliar with his music, have definitely lost an uniquely talented musician.

He will be missed.
Tomas PhUsIoN
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 4:44 AM
great musician, my condolences to his family and friends.
Dysfunction_AL
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:16 AM
Is a great disappointment to read this news, I did not know this person, but I always instinctively regarded with much respect the work that he has shared, the ones I have heard. I’m pretty shocked because in this site, the death is not something I expect, because everything grows here and is reborn again and again. I offer my condolences to his family, and his friends of ccMixter now suffering for his death. I am convinced that what he has shared here and elsewhere will speak for a long time about his generous art of exist. R.I.P.
Carosone
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 1:14 PM
Oh, no! This is a big sad news, when I read “in memoriam” I was shocked and it has really happened. His music lives here, likely transformed into something new and alive, in songs to come.
Budapest BluesBoy
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 5:45 PM
RIP JOE LINCOLN: LEARN TO FLY NOW TROUGH THE VELVET SKY TO DA HEART OF UNIVERSE
spinmeister
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2011 @ 9:33 PM
Sad, sad news indeed. FB was one of the very first long time ccM members I met here in our traditional remixing and commenting ways. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
duckett
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:00 AM
Maybe I’ll be able to express myself more eloquently later, but I’m just saddened, angered, and a little unnerved, considering the nature of the last remix I did featuring his work. Damn it, Joe- the world’s a smaller, meaner place without you; I’ll never forget you.

permalink   duckett Sun, Oct 9, 2011 @ 10:41 PM
I’d like to also dedicate this to Joe’s memory… wave on, wave on…
AIR_LOMEG
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:30 AM
rest in peace, dear friend. we’re shocked and saddened. you were one of those tremendous creative and inspiring capacities that brought us to ccMixter. we never met - but so we did in here, and good it was - that remains and grateful we are. our thoughts go to the ones closest to you. on your way we say goodbye to you Joe. Anina, Inger and Rolf
Bocrew
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 9:06 AM
He will be missed, he was a marvellous
musician, my condolences to his family
and his friends.
Donnie Drost
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 11:28 AM
Like many others here, I am really affected.
The incomparable FB with his special voice, style and the roaring psychedelic guitar sounds should never been forgotten.
Songboy3
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 12:46 PM
*sigh*

I have not been on CCMixter consistently for a long time. And part of the blame must go to CCMixter. You fine folks gave me a second wind, a second act when it came to music. Because of people like FB, I’m excited again, frustrated but not giving up. CCMixter has created opportunities for me that would not have existed without you all! Fireproof gave like you all do on CCMixter: Just for the love, joy and unadulterated fun of it. I didn’t know him as well as I’d like to know the lot of you but he’s a part of the CCMixter family. And you always die a little when you lose someone in your family. FB, you are, and forever will be, missed.

*sigh*

Now I think I’ll go somewhere and weep a bit.
coruscate
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:47 PM
I’m sorry to hear of this. I’ve only used a little bit of his material so far, but it was good. His legacy will live on through his work.
texasradiofish
permalink   Thu, Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:56 PM
Sad news indeed.
I liked the man.
He will be missed.

‘:0(
urmymuse
permalink   Fri, Sep 16, 2011 @ 1:20 AM
Joe was a true renaissance man …. Musician , song writer, genius lyricist, surreal humourist, lover of books, science , astronomy and philosophy. I know this through listening to his songs – which were often deeply personal – and through our occasional interchanges on this site which I valued greatly.
The world has lost a great person and I am very sad. My condolences to his family and friends.
Joe where ever you are now … the monkey brains are on me.
Ivan Chew
permalink   Fri, Sep 16, 2011 @ 10:00 AM
Am bad at expressing condolences (… mind is blank; blank; blank) My heart says, Joe I am glad to have connected with you through this community. You’re gone. But you’re still here. I celebrate with you, through your music. Cheers.
phasenwandler
permalink   Fri, Sep 16, 2011 @ 11:38 PM
I was deeply saddened by this news. The first time I got in touch with Joe was when he chose one of my instrumentals as a backing track for a guitar improvisation. How expressiv, he let his guitar speak pure emotion. My condolences to his family and his friends.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Sep 20, 2011 @ 3:23 PM
From Holly Lincoln post on facebook:

Please let everyone at ccMixter know how much all their kind words/thoughts meant to my family and me. I’ve read and re-read the comments several times now and I am so very glad to know he touched so many different people and had a community to share his talents with…
khidir
permalink   Mon, Oct 3, 2011 @ 12:55 PM
My friend, you are dearly missed.

the aching guitar solo in this one bears repeating:

your prescient plans