Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Can I use ccmixter for Music on Hold?

Can I use ccmixter for Music on Hold?

MattDarnell
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 11:21 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out whether or not I can use the music on this site for our phone system’s Music on Hold. I work for a non-profit educational institution if that is of any use. If anyone can lend some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2010 @ 2:27 PM
You are free to use music from this site according to the terms of its license, which usually distinguishes between commercial or non-commercial use. We are not clear whether “Music on Hold” is a commercial or non-commercial use. However, tracks that are licensed cc-by are available for commercial or non-commercial use and require only that the artist is properly attributed. Seeing as you want to use the music for your “Music on Hold” it is not clear how attribution may be achieved — via a voice over or your organization’s website perhaps? If you have further questions about particular tracks, you are also free to contact artists directly for clarification about using their music in this setting. To easily find ccMixter music check out digccmixter.org where you can easily search music that is “Free for Commercial Projects.”
MattDarnell
permalink   Tue, Aug 3, 2010 @ 5:27 AM
Thanks so much for getting back with me. I will dig around in the free for commercial use and note the artists that we might be interested in. I figure you are correct that adding an attribution on our website would be about the only way to give credit to the artist.

Thanks again,
Matt