Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » ccMixter II Ready for Testing

ccMixter II Ready for Testing

admin
permalink   Fri, Aug 12, 2005 @ 10:33 PM
——————————————————

You’ve been hearing about it for a long time, well ccMixter II is finally ready for a test drive.

New features in the beta:

Multiple file format (!)
————————————
We now accept most popular types of audio files (mp3, wma, ogg, rm, etc.) and even MIDI files.

Multiple files per upload
————————————-
We now accept more than one file per upload record. For example, you can now upload a low-bitrate stream-friendly version plus a high quality version of the same remix to the same record.

Or, you can use this feature to include multiple version, or samples, or project files or whatever you like

Stream This Page
————————-
Every page now has a ‘stream this page’ button on it so if you browse tags or are looking at search results you can stream all of them with a single click.

Podcast This Page/Artist
————————————-
Every page now has a ‘podcast this page’ button on it which you can drag to iTunes or any podcast stream eater and download all the remixes on that page. The same is true for every artist’s page so you can download all of artist’s uploads with one operation.

‘I’ve Been Remixed’ Feeds
—————————————
Say you want to get notified every time Brad Sucks (or you!) is remixed? You can now get a feed for when a given artist has been remixed. (And one for every one that artist has remixed!)

Ratings Separate From Comments/Comments Separate From Ratings
——————————————————————————————-
You can now rate a remix without commenting (the ‘chicken’ feature) and you can comment on a remix without rating it (the ‘snob’ feature).

Formatting in Reviews (!)
————————————-
Text formatting (bold, colors, font size, lists etc.) and yes, links and even links to images have all been enabled in reviews.

New Default Licenses
——————————-
One thing we learned (the hard way) is that Sampling family licenses just don’t have enough freedom for remixers who want to take multiple CC licenses sources and mash them up together. Starting with ccMixter II the default licenses will be the Attribution and Attribution-Non-Commercial style licenses. These will allow you to remix using a much, much wider spectrum of music sources.

‘How I Did It’
———————
You just streamed the most awesome mix and you just have to know how they did it. Now every artist who uploads can tell you exactly by editing the ‘How I Did It’ descriptions attached to each upload.

Inline Comments on Remix Pages
——————————————-
Now the latest comments are in a thumbnail directly in each remix’s page so with one look you can see how it’s rated, who said what and who’s remixed your upload.

Magnatune Remix Tree
——————————-
Now you can see how many people remixed Burnshee Thornside or any other Magnatune artist just as if they had a account with ccMixter. In fact Magnatune is treated as the first member of a new feature called ‘Sample Pools’ that (when fully enabled) will allow this site to keep track of when a Mixter has remixed something from a remote site (like Magnatune). Every Sample Pool will have a page, just like every artist does today and you’ll be able to see the entire remix tree without leaving ccMixter.

Search for ccMixter/Magnatune unified
———————————————————
The ‘I Remixed This’ search now has an option to search the Magnatune catalog as well as the ccMixter uploads. This feature was built so that as new CC friendly catalogs and samples pools become available they will just plug right in to the Remix Search when you are posting a remix.

I’m probably forgetting a bunch of big features that I’ve just gotten used to seeing in the pre-beta that I’m forgetting, but let’s not forget that special category of upgrades:

Stuff we all hated that is now fixed:

‘Smart’ Tags
——————
How many ways can you spell ‘a cappella’? Is your remix ‘hip hop’ or ‘hiphop’? Doesn’t matter. We now have built in to every upload tagger the ability to unify and combine tags that will help everybody find the music and samples they are looking for — all behind the scenes. Go ahead, tag your file ‘hiphop’, we’ll fix it. You can also now toggle ‘system tags’ when looking at the ‘Browse Tags’ screen.

Consistent File Naming
———————————
No more files named ").mp3" — the system now has strict rules it follows internally when you upload files based on your login name and the title of the song you enter. (All your old files have been renamed but links to the old names will still work.)

So here’s skinny:

Start Using the New Site Now
———————————————

The beta is open to registered users of ccMixter and we’d love to get your feedback on the new site and help us shake out last (gasp!) bugs and tell what features we accidentally left off the table.

If you are interested in taking a test drive contact us using this page:

http://ccmixter.org/profile...

and after I get some sleep I’ll let you know wheres and hows of checking all this new stuff out.

Peace,
Victor

admin
permalink   Sun, Aug 14, 2005 @ 10:22 AM
(I *knew* I was forgetting stuff):

Edit Remixes
————————
Now you can edit the list of things you sampled after you upload. If you assign remix sources to originals they then change status to remix.

Re-license
——————-
Under some narrow circumstances, you can re-license an original work under a more lax license (on this site you can’t make a license more restrictive than the one you uploaded with). If you sampled somebody and they relaxed their license (from say, Sampling+ to Attribution) then we notice that and you are allowed to pass on the more relaxed license to your remix.

OK, back to sleep,
Victor
Ms.Vybe
permalink   Tue, Aug 23, 2005 @ 6:23 AM
when does this kick off? this is exciting !!! i have hella midi sequences i wanna share with people, and i wanna turn theirs out, too! holla back !!!
Raphaël André
permalink   Tue, Aug 23, 2005 @ 11:56 AM
Midi, Yes,… and I hope ccMixter should let music writers puplishing and sharing their Scores Work.
Midi as preview -> and Finale or Lilypond format to work with (as external sources)!
Great…
admin
permalink   Tue, Aug 23, 2005 @ 12:38 PM
Quote: when does this kick off? this is exciting !!! i have hella midi sequences i wanna share with people, and i wanna turn theirs out, too! holla back !!!

(it would quite helpful if you sign up for the beta and bang on it with your hella midis… just sayin…)

http://ccmixter.org/profile...

Victor
admin
permalink   Tue, Aug 23, 2005 @ 12:41 PM
Quote: Midi, Yes,… and I hope ccMixter should let music writers puplishing and sharing their Scores Work.
Midi as preview -> and Finale or Lilypond format to work with (as external sources)!
Great…

We won’t support score projects ‘natively’ but you can attach a streaming midi preview and a zip file to the same upload record effectively getting what you want.

This seems to be working with testers in the beta but
you should try it out in the beta as well.

Victor