Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Additional Features

Additional Features

radiotimes
permalink   Mon, Feb 2, 2009 @ 4:28 PM
Firstly let me say of all the various sites I visit the response and features of this site are great and an example to many companies out there that are far bigger and more established in the publics eye.

OK! Nice bit over.

Two things that I find irritating here are on the search functions so a pointer to how I should go about it would be appreciated.

1. When searching in the submit Files for the artist unless I get the spelling and spacing 100% the search comes back with not found. Any chance this can be made to work better.

2. When auditioning samples the search function always returns to page 1. Can this be improved on to return to the last position.
victor
permalink   Mon, Feb 2, 2009 @ 11:08 PM
it would help if you could articulate the steps involved, there are lots of ways and places to search and audition samples so I’m not sure quite what path you’re taking to get to these features.

e.g. when I type in ‘state’ in the remix submit form, I get all the results from ‘stateshirt’ and ‘E_State’

VS

permalink   radiotimes Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 3:07 AM
In point one I was referring to when I upload a mix and search for the artist I am using. Example today I entered “Anchor Mejans” and it came back “not found”. The correct way to get AM’s samples is by typing AnchorMejans without the spacing between the first and second name.

Looking for Clarence Boddyker I only typed in one “d” the first time so the search again found nothing. However if I type just anchor or clarance in it finds the files. What I was asking was is it possible to have the search find a name even if some of the spelling is wrong.

Point two. I was actually referring to when I audition a pella. If it is on page 2 after I review the pella and click on the back button instead of going to the previous page (page 2) it goes back to the first page.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Thanks
RT

permalink   victor Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 4:22 AM
Quote: radiotimesis it possible to have the search find a name even if some of the spelling is wrong.

No. Searching the site with Google, it can’t find or suggest the proper spelling of Boddyker with one ‘d’ - the chances of me coming up with a better search algorithm than Google is extremely low.

Quote: when I audition a pella. If it is on page 2 after I review the pella

When you audition or when you review? There’s a difference.

VS

permalink   radiotimes Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 8:48 AM
When I said “review” the pella I actually meant “listen too” and not give an actual review comment of the pella.

With regard to point one Google will find the nearest match to mis spelt names. In Clarance/Clarence/Boddiker/Bodyker/Boddyker it still finds items from him irrespective of the spelling as it does with variations on Anchors name. Whilst Google does not confirm the correct spelling it does point towards entries including variations of the name . Try typing in Fourstines. This was my original request. Can you get the CCM page to find a remixer even if the name is mis spelled slightly.

Anyway this is no big deal but thanks for your input.

permalink   victor Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 3:49 PM
Google does NOT find Clarance’s profile page or any of his uploads when searching for Boddyker with one ‘d’ which is what your initial message said. You’ve already posted the workaround.

If you don’t have Flash installed in your browser and you don’t have a music player assigned to streaming files (M3U) then your browser will default to switching pages and invoking the systems’ music player.

That page was designed to work with Flash available for previewing with the streaming function as a fall back.

Try using either ‘stream this page’ in a new window/tab or ‘play this page’ (which should come up in a popup) to keep your place in the a cappella browser.

VS

permalink   radiotimes Tue, Feb 3, 2009 @ 5:07 PM
Thanks for the advice.