Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » I seek a spoken word artist

I seek a spoken word artist

gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Mar 1, 2008 @ 8:08 PM
Dear mixter friends:

I am finishing up my submission to the http://www.intelligentmachi... compilation project called “pieces volume 2”. Stated simply, I utilized some 4 second noise samples to create a new song
which, consistent with my netlabel work, tends to be a trifle (but not quite a dollop) more experimental than the work I do here at the mixter. This time, the tune sounds like a really snappy melody pounded out by a brontosaurus leg.

Dinosaurs are very appropos, because the track is called “The Cheerful Suppression of Science”.
This title is near and dear to me as my education was in science, and as Texas, my beloved state of current abode, faces a particular challenge right now.

Texas school textbooks are chosen by the Texas state board of education, a set of elected officials. Anti-science forces are seeking in this electoral cycle to gain a majority of the seats on this mildly obscure board. Their agenda is to assail the theory of evolution.

“The Cheerful Suppression of Science” is a song meant to counter-act this disturbing trend.
I found a public domain reading from early anti-evolutionist Rev. William A. William, D.D., whose stridency will be useful for social commentary as a spoken word track to my humble song.

I’m hunting a reader (or perhaps a couple of readers) to do a dramatic reading of a roughly 550 word statement by this anti-science fellow. I’ll then edit it, mix it into my remix, and create, I believe, an effective bit of satire.

The key is that the reading itself should be non-satiric, but instead in earnest, neither satiric nor overdone in its tone, but firm and confidently spoken.

Would anyone like to join the forces of pro-science in a little parody of anti-science forces?
I’d be delighted to have you come play.

Leave me a note if you’re interested in this thread, and I’ll
ship you the text. Don’t worry if you’re 2d or 3d to volunteer, as more than one voice could have dramatic advantages. Don’t worry if your recording skills are pretty simple, as I can usually morph spoken word as I like it.
Also, I’m not hunting for any given gender, accent or style of speaker. I’m just hunting for someone to speak this track with heart and feeling, so that I can create a song (and hopefully a follow-up youtube or blip.tv) to try to indirectly rail against people who are against science.

Anyone want to join in?

best, bob
who records music, charitably described, as gurdonark
Larree
permalink   Mon, Mar 3, 2008 @ 7:21 PM
Hi! This sounds like it could be fun! I will do a read for you! You can either email me the words or send me a hard copy. If it is a lot of pages, a hard copy could be better. Peace, Larree

permalink   gurdonark Mon, Mar 3, 2008 @ 8:40 PM
Great! Glad to have you on board.
I’m sending it via mixtermail in just a second now….best, r.
duckett
permalink   Tue, Mar 18, 2008 @ 4:12 AM
I’ve just been touched by a noodly appendage, and directed to respond to this… let me know!

permalink   gurdonark Thu, Mar 20, 2008 @ 12:55 PM
Thanks! I will definitely take you up on this, as I want to do a similar song for another project I am working on now. I’ll send you a text for it!
Larree
permalink   Tue, Mar 18, 2008 @ 5:51 PM
Dude! I love the rough cut! Can’t wait to hear the final mix!

permalink   gurdonark Thu, Mar 20, 2008 @ 12:56 PM
Thanks! I probably won’t do too much to it, but I may tinker with it a bit more. Thanks for your help with it!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   gurdonark Thu, Mar 27, 2008 @ 8:52 PM
Hektor—

I’m glad you re-loaded that spoken word, which I will remix in the coming weeks. I also plan to take you up on reading something for me as well—I’ll send you a mixter mail in the next week or two. Thanks!

r.