Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Graduating from GarageBand, reccomendations, please!

Graduating from GarageBand, reccomendations, please!

plurgid
permalink   Fri, Feb 2, 2007 @ 10:47 PM
Back in the day (like 15 years ago) I used to rock a cheapie midi keyboard and an old Yamaha FB-01 soundmodule, and it sounded … sort of okay for the time, I guess. But then I got married had kids, yadda yadda, I had to put all that away for a while.

So now, my kids are a little older and thanks to ccMixter, and GarageBand, I’ve caught the bug again, hardcore.

Things have really changed, and I’m really intimidated by the learning curve on a lot of the “pro” software out there.

I really like GarageBand’s interface, but it’s too limiting. For instance, I can’t have more than 2 filters on a track without bouncing it. Also I can’t change plugin settings over time (no parameters track). Can’t send control signals to plugins either.

I’m ready to upgrade. I’ve played with Logic a little, but it’s … well damn complicated. Actually I played with it an hour and I never figgured out how to get it to play a sound … any sound, without the demo song loaded, anyow.

Logic seems to be the pro version of garageband, but it’s like a grand. Do you guys think it’s worth it investing that kind of time and money?

I got a reason 4 demo, and it seems nice (though the interface is kinda over the top) … that’s like $400 … worth it?

Also … (and I know this is gonna sound lame). I wanna learn how to scratch. I’ve played with plugins that purport to let you “scratch digitally”, they’re kinda not good, and not working in GarageBand anyhow. I’ve found finalscratch via google, it looks promising, but I dunno again, if it’s worth it, it’s very expensive.

What does the community think I should invest in?

Thanks everyone.
KCentric
permalink   Sat, Feb 3, 2007 @ 5:21 PM
Hi plurgid,

I’m not that familiar with GarageBand but I think the interface may be similar to Sony Acid Pro (and easier than Logic.)

I’ve used it since version 4.0 and it’s a pretty cool software.
victor
permalink   Sat, Feb 3, 2007 @ 7:24 PM
you won’t be able to record your scratching with Reason.

Try looking into Ableton Live. I recommend reading the manual cover-to-cover (seriously). It is a unique interface but once you “get it” it is A LOT of fun and perfect for impromptu recordings over loops and backing tracks. Also sounds like it is more in more price range.

The mixer routing is EXTREMELY flexible, you will not run out of options.

My issue with Live has been that the final rendered mix has less than 100% fidelity with what it sounds like in the app — but others famously disagree with me and I have no problem being wrong about that, if indeed I am.
Tabasko72
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 5:58 PM
Reason is a great software although in my opinion it needs some getting used to. but its the same with all music production software i think. Its possible to make an entire track just on reason. its great. But normally you would probably want to master your tune so you could either get logic or if you dont want to spend too much money go for logic express or ablton live.Personally i think ableton live is great. Youll be able to have you own small gig.
If you really want to try scratching you should be able to do it with torq which is a M-audio dj equiptment. Itll come with its own software.