Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Is there a ccMixter style?

Is there a ccMixter style?

RZ-1
permalink   Thu, Sep 28, 2006 @ 3:47 AM
Hi -

I”ve been listening to more and more tunes on ccMixter. There is definitely some great stuff out there, but I’ve started to notice a trend in the production.

I feel the music on this site tends to be very spacious and very airy, but not so much in your face or aggressive.

What do you think? Do you feel there is a certain ccMixter sound that is common in all the tracks?

ps… new tune - review mine and I will review yours
http://ccmixter.org/media/f...
victor
permalink   Thu, Sep 28, 2006 @ 11:04 AM
I have a theory: I think it was the Magnatune contest that really set that trend, Lisa’s voice invoked that kind of airy remix

Do you think Ben’s new remix falls into that category?

I think in general, the more pop the vocal (like Lisa, Brad, Dianne Jesserun and SilviaO) the more airy and open the production, the harder the vocals ( JLang, Kendra) the crisper — but it’s all relative, we definitely run ‘softer’ than a lot of Acid Planet stuff.

just my $.02
PorchCat
permalink   Sat, Oct 7, 2006 @ 7:50 PM
Hmmm, I think that ccMixter does tend towards the ambient and experimental, but there are certainly some hard, dirty, filthy and aggressive mixes on the Mixter.

I would say it probably tends a little more towards the airy and ambient than some of the other remix sites. I think it’s partly due to the active remixers setting a certain tone, contests that were held and the material available on the site. The remainder of the reason is simply the random clustering that happens in everything in nature.

Just my two cents.

*meow*

permalink   victor Sat, Oct 7, 2006 @ 8:24 PM
Quote: PorchCatI think that ccMixter does tend towards the ambient and experimental

maybe with the crowd you hang out with ;) despite the last two weeks, there’s way more hip hop and “straight” uploads (by an order of magnitude) than the kind of ‘experimental’ you’re thinking of and there’s next to zero actual ambient music on the site — think of all the remixes of brad sucks, fort minor, kendra, jlang, musetta, lisad, etc. and the vast majority (by an even bigger order of magnitude) of people who come to listen to music listen to that stuff. sorry.

meanwhile I don’t think the original q was about genre at all, more mixing and arranging style. If you pick off 10 average tracks at AP, the majority’s production will be a lot crisper, less, you know, airy.

VS

permalink   PorchCat Sat, Oct 7, 2006 @ 8:51 PM
My fault for not being more clear. :-P

I didn’t mean ambient and experimental as in the genres. I perhaps meant atmospheric and unexpected/daring/creative. Ambient and experimental were convenient terms. I probably should have avoided using words for description that are also genres. :-)

*meow*