Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » Loops of Slack : Unofficial competition

Loops of Slack : Unofficial competition

Uncool Bob
permalink   Sat, Apr 29, 2006 @ 3:42 PM
Hi ccMixters,

I’m just about to upload 6 sample packs of loops from the Stream of Slack (a unique evolutionary audio experiment). The loops are broken down into tracks of individual or related instruments. Sometimes I couldn’t separate all tracks perfectly (technical reasons) but that shouldn’t matter too much I hope. The MP3 demo track gives you an idea what the loops all add up to without any special treatment. All comments and criticism welcome.

The loops are here: http://ccmixter.org/media/f...

i thought it would be fun to run a little competition. I know this is thinly-veiled attention seeking self-publicity, but I have put several hours into selecting some nice loops for you, and the Stream of Slack is just a hobby (although of course I want the idea to be bigger than that one day).

I wanted to make it really informal, but then thought it would be good to have a few rules to avoid any fighting later :-)

Disclaimer: This competition is being run in good faith as a bit of fun, and is provided "as is" without warranties of any kind. Creative Commons and ccMixter are not involved in any formal capacity.

Rules: Create a SubGenius-themed remix using some of the loops in the sample pack. More SubGenius samples can be found in "Bob’s" Sound Holes (note that a small fraction of the material on subgenius.com is of an adult nature). all entries must be submitted by the normal ccmixter route - you may choose by or by-nc licensing. there is no special entry form, so please remember to attribute the sample pack. please also add the tag subgenius_contest to your upload. there is no maximum length for your track (although i think ccmixter has a 10mb limit). nothing special will happen to submitted or winning tracks (i.e. no compilation cd or promotional activities). In the event of fewer than three entries, I reserve the right to cancel the competition.

Judging: I will make the final decision, but hope to get at least a second or third opinion to ensure fair play. There are no special judging criteria - may the best mix win!

Prize: The winner will receive a Church of the SubGenius membership/ordainment pack - value US$30 - paid for by me and sent by mail to your humble abode! (This competition is not endorsed or supported by the The SubGenius Foundation Inc.) No cash alternative is available, but I will donate the $30 to any well-known charity of your choice if your prefer. Plus, if you live in London, I’ll buy you a pint!

Deadline: 20 June 2006

You can see all the current entries to the contest here.

Hope that all makes sense, and you have some fun with the loops. Questions welcome…

cheers,
Rev. Ken
PorchCat
permalink   Mon, May 1, 2006 @ 1:57 PM
Huzzah! Count me in!

Thanks for sponsoring and setting this up. This should be a great time!

*meow*
jeroensnake
permalink   Sun, May 14, 2006 @ 2:47 AM
. whow . slack .

sounds great! Maybe I’ll fire up my slackish OS and cook some noise , ehm , music.
I also have a vague recollection of some on ##slackware talking about a slack song.

PRAISE BOB !
Uncool Bob
permalink   Tue, May 23, 2006 @ 6:50 PM
cool - hope the loops are workable with

If you want more audio slackness - a recent Hour of Slack (I think #1047) has a large chunk of relatively unadulterated archive material which might be useful.