Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Upload limit vs. Publishing limit

Upload limit vs. Publishing limit

Proud Electrics
permalink   Sat, Feb 3, 2024 @ 11:21 AM
Heyho!

I will soon put a new album on my website featuring tracks that resample ccmixter pellas. I want to upload these remixes here, too; three total, one every week, so i don’t spam the feed/column

So I thought it was easier to pre-upload without publishing, so I can just hit publish when the time has come and only need to sit down one evening instead of three to render audios, write descriptions, search for stems, etc.. Also I might not be in town every week, having access to my computer.

After two hidden uploads this evening, I have reached the weekly upload limit for remixes. This is no big deal though, I will do the third next week

My idea to make publishing here easier is the following:
- The Upload limit becomes a Publishing limit. Instead of 2 remixes per week to upload, it becomes 2 remixes per week to publish (except if the track has moved from published to hidden and back, of course).
- The new Upload Limit will be higher than the Publishing limit; but the »Publish now« and »publish« buttons of newly uploaded remixes will be grayed out according to the Publishing limit.
Same may be applied to pellas/samples/etc., too.

Hope this is a useful idea,
Greetings
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Sun, Feb 4, 2024 @ 11:10 AM
Hi there, Proud Electrics, good to see you again :)

I’m excited to hear your new album, and see which acappellas you picked!
As far as your idea of pre-publishing goes, it seems like a good idea … at first.

There are actually several goals a limited upload count is accomplishing:
1) Preventing an overload of new remixes and samples from the same artist (or malicious user) which could be used to spam everyone else.
2) Enabling a diverse community in order to give equal exposure to all artists.
3) Preventing a surge in bandwidth and storage costs.

I’m afraid that allowing pre-publishing would actually prevent those three goals:
1) A user would upload much more than usual, regardless of when it could be published, and might do this to negatively affect the servers.
2) When the extra uploads are published, it would affect how remixes and samples are listed, based upon upload date.
3) There would then be a surge in bandwidth and storage for uploads that no one could access.

A link to your website on each upload as they are published might be sufficient to getting more exposure to your work, and you could also post in the “Pluggy plugs” section of the forums to promote your releases. Worth trying, right? :)

I hope this helps clear things up.
Your feedback and suggestions are always welcome :)

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   Proud Electrics Mon, Feb 5, 2024 @ 3:21 AM
I see…
For 2): well it could of course become based on the release date instead but I guess that’s a minor thing.
1) and 3): fair points in there! especially 1) I think

> A link to your website…
Thanks for the tip, didn’t know about the pluggy plugs section; indeed, I did think less about exposure and more about a cleaner/easier workflow here

Thank you for pointing things out!