Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Computer Replacement Recommendations

Computer Replacement Recommendations

essesq
permalink   Mon, Nov 12, 2018 @ 9:05 AM
Hello ccMixter Community,

It is coming time for me to replace my 2009 (yes you read that right) MacBook Pro. I want to replace it before it dies. I also want to replace it because I can’t do music on it anymore. I was using Garageband and it now refuses to play back more than 4 tracks.

I came onboard here with a Gateway PC running Windows XP and using an entry level version of Cubase. I like holding onto tech as long as I can, but I understand that as time marches on hardware is getting shorter and shorter lived.

It is important to me to have onboard storage as I am an attorney and like to keep my client materials locally rather than cloud stored. I considered leaving the Apple universe but realize that if I want to keep my hobby of audio production I will then have to buy software, because I doubt anyone’s giving it away anymore. My price point all-in is about $1500. My screen now is a 17” and I doubt I could go smaller. I have a 2017 iPad for portability. My Macbook is stationary for safety reasons as the glass and the backing have been slowly separating due to failing glue. It also sits on a cooling base.

The base model iMac has a slower processor than I have with twice the memory. I think to replace and stay relevant my next machine needs to increase processor speed and go from 4 -16 gigs on the memory, with owner add ability.

So… I’m wondering…what does the PC based hobbyist music production landscape look like? Apple people….what do you think? I want to make a purchase before mid December… All input appreciated.

Thanks everyone. Hope to rejoin you all soon….
martinsea
permalink   Tue, Nov 13, 2018 @ 12:30 PM
Hi, I strongly recommend Reaper, it is cheap, modular, stable ( like hardly ever crashes)and smart.It is also MAC/PC ( and Linux) So you can add free plug-ins and if need be commercial plug-ins.For my skill level it s completely enough, I probably only use a tenth of its capacities.
Good luck
Martin

https://www.reaper.fm/

PS as to the computer, if you already have a good screen,and dont need to move the machine, how about a macmini ?

permalink   essesq Tue, Nov 13, 2018 @ 1:24 PM
Thank you for reminding me. Reaper was my second DAW…I used it when it was still free and then I think I paid $20 for it. It was very competent, but I had to spend hours looking for plug-ins. I’m old and lack patience now :-). I would consider adding it to Garageband as an alternate. I had forgotten what it was called, so thank you :-).

My screen is a bit of an issue as it is separating from the casing, or at least the glass is. I’m not thrilled with the specs on the Mac Minis either. I’ve ordered an iMac but am now not sure if I made a mistake swapping an SSD drive for an extra 8 gigs of RAM. The machine I ordered has a 1 TB standard hard drive. Noise is an issue because I do spoken word and I’m seeing people complaining about fan noise. They could be mad gamers or video producers.

permalink   essesq Tue, Nov 13, 2018 @ 1:25 PM
And THANK YOU so much for replying!