Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Policy Change: Can't remix yourself

Policy Change: Can't remix yourself

victor
permalink   Fri, Mar 3, 2006 @ 1:42 PM
Seems quite a few mixters were not really working in the spirit of the site which is: to download samples, remix them and upload them as remixes. Instead they were uploading their own tracks, then the fully mixed track and calling that a remix so they could (I guess) show up in the ‘New Remixes’ stack.

Not a big deal, it’s not like this stuff is written down somewhere, but I’ve disabled your own uploads in the remix search box and ‘I Sampled This’ on your own uploads. We’ll try this for a while.

This kind of stuff is ultimately up to the community. If you folks scream about it, it is hardly a huge deal one way or the other, I just thought it was more fair to the actual remixers to do things this way.

Peace,
VS
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Mar 4, 2006 @ 11:06 AM
Quote: Seems quite a few mixters were not really working in the spirit of the site which is: to download samples, remix them and upload them as remixes. Instead they were uploading their own tracks, then the fully mixed track and calling that a remix so they could (I guess) show up in the ‘New Remixes’ stack.

Not a big deal, it’s not like this stuff is written down somewhere, but I’ve disabled your own uploads in the remix search box and ‘I Sampled This’ on your own uploads. We’ll try this for a while.

This kind of stuff is ultimately up to the community. If you folks scream about it, it is hardly a huge deal one way or the other, I just thought it was more fair to the actual remixers to do things this way.

Peace,
VS

The rule change is fine. Now I realize why I couldn’t NC through the workaround of uploading NC myself :)
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:10 AM
I’ve posted pells and then posted finished tracks and linked the two, but not really to show up on the list. Well, I guess it’s true that I like showing up on the list because the visibility leads to more feedback. But I upload the pells because I’m trying to write songs, record interesting vocals, and share those with the community. And I upload the tracks because I’m also trying to teach myself to write/sequence the backing music & produce tracks. It just seemed to make sense to link the two. I’m fine with the change, though. It just means that I need to incorporate samples from the site into the backing music rather than just use synths & packaged samples. I guess I haven’t been sampling the site as much because I have just a few hours a week to do music, and it takes time to find the right samples, cut them up cleanly, etc. - faster to use a pack or just use synths all the way with limited time…… .. .
victor
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 12:45 PM
Thanks for support, like I said I don’t think it’s a huge deal and it used to be a very occasional thing, but it was happening with almost daily regularity the last month and at one point last week the top 3 new ‘remixes’ just were not remixes at all so we’ll see how this shakes out. To be honest, I was sad to have to enforce it.

Quote: I guess I haven’t been sampling the site as much because I have just a few hours a week to do music, and it takes time to find the right samples, cut them up cleanly, etc. - faster to use a pack or just use synths all the way with limited time…… ..

As far as I can tell, there are two really huge usability issues with this site: reviewing is a hack through phpBB (these forums) and samples uploading/finding. I’m almost done with the coding for the reviews problem and then I’m going to go head on to the samples issue which I think has reached a critical stage.

Right now, I think we’re ok for the person who is browsing for a remix to use in a podcast, but to assume the exact same user interface would work for a remixer browsing for samples just isn’t going to fly anymore.

I was going to implement the ‘mixoff’ feature next but this samples thing is just too important to the site to let it go much longer.

VS
ASHWAN
permalink   Sat, Mar 11, 2006 @ 3:09 PM
Guilty as charged.
Blatant self promotion, but there you go.
I think it is fine to have this as a remix site, that is what it’s all about…BUT, i liked it better when there was an ‘original’ tag (or whatever it was at the top.
how about bringing that back but only allowing people to have 5 unsampled originals at any one time. that way if someones work lends itself to being sampled and remixed they get an active place on the site. it could be that we could link accapellas (or sample packs) of the originals so that this would count as one track(if that makes any sense…i know what i mean!) without the chickens we’ll run out of eggs…or is it the other way around?
and a remix without the original context makes little sense to me.
never start a sentence with and.
But…
hmmm.
ash
ps: little johnny: Miss, I is…(teacher interupts)
‘Johnny, you know you should never say ‘I is’, you should always say ‘I am’
Little Johnny:
Ok Miss, sorry…I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.

and i am not even drunk…
victor
permalink   Sat, Mar 11, 2006 @ 4:08 PM
er, well, what can I tell you;

50% of things called ‘samples’ are remixed
85% of things called ‘original’ are NOT

worse: the vast majority of ‘originals’ were not even streamed or downloaded, not once.

We redesigned the site based on how people were using the site. Typically when a feature is used less than 15% of the time, most webmasters would cut the feature completely, not feature it on a tab on every page ;)

We’re doing two things to feed the remix tiger:

We’re currently signing up other sites that host samples to be included in the larger sample pool so you’ll be able to link off to where the samples came from.

We doing a ground up rethink of how samples are uploaded and browsed on the site because that’s just broken.

and I’m not even stoned.

VS
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Mar 13, 2006 @ 6:02 PM
Quote: er, well, what can I tell you;

We’re currently signing up other sites that host samples to be included in the larger sample pool so you’ll be able to link off to where the samples came from.

vs

Hi Victor:

I noticed that www.darkwinter.com, one of the best dark ambient netlabels, now uses CC licenses. If y’all are signing up new sites, then Nathan (who records as Samsa) might sign Darkwinter up to supply some wonderful ambient drones to our mix.
victor
permalink   Mon, Mar 13, 2006 @ 11:11 PM
thanks g, if you have a lead there feel free to hook us up.

my main dream target right now (this should make you happy) are the freesound folks