Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Early in the morning blues and copyrights ?

Early in the morning blues and copyrights ?

martinsea
permalink   Sat, Feb 18, 2017 @ 7:00 AM
Hallo, I have been recording pells derived from what I thought was a traditional blues song ” early in the morning.” But before uploading, I googled the title, to read it had been recorded by Louis Jordan in the 20s and credited to him and one of his band members. Since then it has been recorded by many others ( Ray Charles, Harry Nilsson etc). And they havent credited it to Louis Jordan, as far as I can see. Can I upload my pells under a CC License, or will I be infringing copyright ? As it’s a blues, the sung melody and words vary from other versions, but it is still clearly that song. I also have a basic accompaniment but thats just standard blues progression. Where do I stand ?
Speck
permalink   Sat, Feb 18, 2017 @ 9:27 AM
Louis Jordan was born in ‘21. My search indicates it is his song and was created in ‘47. Which would mean the copyright is still in effect. Bummer, I know.

I did that once by the way, sang an old blues song to upload. But it wasn’t easy to find one, you have to go back before 1923.

Disclaimer: I ain’t no pro - I could be wrong.

permalink   martinsea Sat, Feb 18, 2017 @ 9:51 AM
Quote: SpeckLouis Jordan was born in ‘21. My search indicates it is his song and was created in ‘47. Which would mean the copyright is still in effect. Bummer, I know.

I did that once by the way, sang an old blues song to upload. But it wasn’t easy to find one, you have to go back before 1923.

Disclaimer: I ain’t no pro - I could be wrong.

Thanks Speck, thats the answer I thought I would get. A bummer indeed; I have ten takes each recorded in a different style on a different day. But no worry, I just have to think things thru more carefully next time. Cheers, Martin

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Feb 20, 2017 @ 2:55 PM
Yeah, I agree with Speck. Bummer!