Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Call Out for New Editors

Call Out for New Editors

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Fri, Jan 6, 2017 @ 11:40 AM
Are you stoked about ccMixter and want to help promote and serve the community that makes it all possible? If you are savvy at social networking through sites like Twitter, Soundcloud, etc. etc. we need your talent! We are currently opening up a few positions on our Editorial Team for 2017. Please post here a tweet-sized reason why you’d like to join the team and curate, post comments in the forums, and promote ccMixter to the world.

You may also contact us via e-mail

We’ll be releasing our new Editorial Team Staff List in the next few weeks!

Read the guidelines for Ed Picks Here.

Update
Applications are closed for this call. New editors will be announced on Thursday!!!

Welcome to our New Editors!

Christine Bush
Darkroom
Mana Junkie
CDK

We’re looking forward your input and your enthusiasm this year!

Siobhan Dakay
permalink   Sat, Jan 7, 2017 @ 2:08 PM
Hi Spinningmerkaba,

I write this reply off call. Just because I am already an “Editor”.

Not that I have used this opportunity to ed-pick the creative work here often yet - but I want to encourage everyone to apply. Music taste has many flavours and mine is different from other ccMixter participants.

Having the option to highlight a mix is very special and by my own experience it is very motivating for the mixer. It is like a giving a special gift to one you love.
If the music touches you and you get some special emotions - why not share it and give your feelings a word - highlighted for everyone.
Open minded, not common sense is often the best.

permalink   Kara Square Sat, Jan 7, 2017 @ 7:02 PM
I’m looking forward to your unique Ed Picks this year! :D Love your thoughts about being an Editor.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Jan 7, 2017 @ 4:33 PM
I love being a ccMixter Editor! And I also really value other editors’ picks as a way to find great music here. Reading the comments they use to describe an awesome track inspires me as a listener and as a creator. (And, there is nothing so exciting as getting an editorial pick!!)

permalink   Kara Square Sat, Jan 7, 2017 @ 7:03 PM
Right on, Snowflake! Ditto!

permalink   Zep Hurme Mon, Jan 9, 2017 @ 1:28 PM
Nope. Music is all subjective. If you think there’s something worth ed-picking then why would anyone challenge it …

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 9:40 AM
Wanna pick one? or two? or twenty?

permalink   Zep Hurme Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 9:48 AM
Sadly not enough spare time to listen at the moment other than small snippets every now and then. But I promise to pick something … this year. ;)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 9:55 AM
I look forward to it!

permalink   Zep Hurme Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 10:14 AM
I look forward to your next pell, two or twenty. ;)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 10:45 AM
working on one now! And I found the tracks for Summertime, so I’ll post that pell too. Love how you treat me!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Jan 11, 2017 @ 11:22 AM
uploaded!

permalink   Zep Hurme Wed, Jan 11, 2017 @ 11:36 AM
Nice! Good shit to work on. Will trash them soon(ish) ;) Week or two.
Kara Square
permalink   Sat, Jan 7, 2017 @ 7:01 PM
I’m certainly stoked about ccMixter and proud to be part of the Editorial Team! Doing a listening session on ccM is one of my favorite things… and listening for that track that jumps out to be Ed Picked makes it extra fun. I enjoy crafting blurbs for the Ed Pick… trying to find the perfect descriptive words to inspire listeners to push play and share the joy of an awesome track.

I’m super-excited to add some new folks to the Editorial team to get more deserving ccM music in the spotlight. Plus, all of the Ed Picks will be nominations for the bi-monthly albums we’ll be curating this year. These albums will help us get ccMixter music out into the world even more!
Jonatha Chance
permalink   Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 9:56 AM
Hello! I am excited by the prospect of joining the editorial team of CCmixter because I have a rich background of experience as a performer, radio host, and digital creative talent to work effectively at the intersection of music, open source culture, and language.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 10:04 AM
Awesome! Could you send an example of a blog post or article you’ve written?

Side note: One of the topics I’ve been interested in lately is how age relates to music creation. What is your perspective on that?

Following you on soundcloud now!

permalink   Jonatha Chance Thu, Jan 12, 2017 @ 9:19 AM
Hi there. Thanks for following me on SoundCloud. I will look for you on Twitter as well.

I have a blog with a variety of writing samples.

Please note: we bought our first house last May and moved across country (CA —> NC), so I’m eager to update my blog now that we’re somewhat settled.

permalink   Jonatha Chance Thu, Jan 12, 2017 @ 9:30 AM
I think the subject of how age relates to music creation is an interesting one. My perspective is that human beings are hard wired to both make and respond to music and I believe all forms and genres of music have value.

We have research that suggests music can affect us before we are born, that music helps us learn as we grow, that music therapy can help us cope or recover from trauma, and that even people with late stage Alzheimer’s still remember the music they have heard or learned in the past.

I think that music education is underfunded in many places and that’s why I spend a lot of time volunteering with local music education programs to help fill this gap.

I think it is easier to learn to play an instrument when one is younger, but it is never too late.

I think CCmixter is a wonderful platform for people of all ages to share their music while leveraging the power of open licensing to transform their music into open educational resources.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Jan 11, 2017 @ 9:25 AM
Thanks for the reviews you posted! They help a lot. I like your writing style. It has a technical edge to it.
cdk
permalink   Tue, Jan 10, 2017 @ 2:58 PM
I’d like to throw my hat in the ring on this,

I’ve been with mixter since 2005!?!

wow.

I love mixter, and anything I can do to give back or be a part of the team is awesome. would also give me more reason to dig through the site for those rare “Gems” that most people miss.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Jan 11, 2017 @ 9:28 AM
You’re in the running! We need those Gems dug up and showcased. I’m hopeful this year’s Ed Team will be the most active in our history. What do you think?

permalink   cdk Wed, Jan 11, 2017 @ 4:25 PM
it’s totally possible.
one thing I’m worried about is remixing every pick this year, lol.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 10:59 AM
That would be great for us listening!
Mana Junkie
permalink   Thu, Jan 12, 2017 @ 4:23 PM
Will there be cake?

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 9:39 AM
Mmmm… cake…
🎂

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
and coffee!
Darkroom
permalink   Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 10:48 AM
I would be interested also. I have been with CCMixter since 2006 and have watched it grow. I also believe it to be an important site filled with all kinds of great music.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 11:03 AM
We have a rich history here, which would be nice to highlight throughout the course of year. Thanks for jumping into the mix!

permalink   Darkroom Fri, Jan 13, 2017 @ 11:19 AM
It has been great to be a part of it. Every single member I have seen here truly cares about music. Thanks

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Jan 19, 2017 @ 11:41 AM
Thank you for all you share with us here at ccMixter!
Darkroom
permalink   Thu, Jan 19, 2017 @ 10:56 PM
Thank you. I can’t wait to get started.
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, Jan 20, 2017 @ 4:53 AM
AWESOME! Welcome to the team, Christine Bush, Darkroom, Mana Junkie, & CDK! I’m looking forward to hearing your picks! :D

permalink   Darkroom Fri, Jan 20, 2017 @ 7:25 AM
Quote: Kara SquareAWESOME! Welcome to the team, Christine Bush, Darkroom, Mana Junkie, & CDK! I’m looking forward to hearing your picks! :D

Thanks Kara
Admiral Bob
permalink   Mon, Sep 10, 2018 @ 6:08 AM
It is always a good idea for editors to refresh on the Ed Pick guidelines:

http://ccmixter.org/edpickg...

To flesh this out a bit - music shouldn’t just be what you personally like (though first and foremost it should be something you love.) The tracks you pick should be high-quality tracks likely to be picked up by podcasters, vloggers, and filmmakers… radio (or college/indie radio) ready music.

If you’re picking something with a detuned guitar, instrument, or vocal… was it done for style? Or did the remixer lack the skill to mix/perform things into the same key? It can be a tough call, but it is an important consideration if you’re picking atonal music. ccMixter has a lot of terrific atonal artists who expertly specialize in that, and we’d want to feature what they do, and not confuse that kind of work with mixes that are accidentally atonal, and unlikely to be picked up for podcasts.

Consider the recording quality - is it deliberately lo-fi, or accidentally low quality? Scratchy recordings are a unique ambiance, and lo-fi is often a special kind of magic. But a poor quality or saturated recording isn’t the same thing (analog saturation is a neat effect, digital clipping usually isn’t.)

Remember, ed picking is deciding what the best of the best is. Let’s be sure that is what we put front and center!

permalink   Apoxode Tue, Sep 11, 2018 @ 3:20 PM
Just making sure … is the call for new editors still closed?

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Sep 14, 2018 @ 10:06 AM
Email me….