Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Signups skyhigh, uploads stay even

Signups skyhigh, uploads stay even

Geert Veneklaas
permalink   Tue, Mar 29, 2016 @ 1:16 PM
Looking at the stats of ccMixter (Extras>Stats) I noticed that the number of signups in the last year is growing fast - monthly ten times more than it has been in the years before!
But the number of monthly uploads stays equal.
Is the number of monthly signups correct?
And if so: does anyone have a clue why the number of uploads isn’t growing likewise?
Just wondering (and thinking: wow, what a boost would it give ccM if all newcomers would upload more!).
victor
permalink   Sat, Apr 2, 2016 @ 7:10 AM
Heya,

So 3 things happened last January

- our most popular parts of the site (including dig) were “invisible” to Google. We fixed that and for many search terms (like “free music for commercial use”) we are the #1 search results.

- we enabled Facebook registration/login

- we started the site redesign (which in turn boosted our Google ranking - G loves when you make changes to your site - we had not done that in over 5 years)

All of this brought us huge numbers of new visitors (and it continues to grow - the ‘play’ button was hit over 1 million times in the last 30 days just on dig.ccmixter), which is always going to inspire some percentage of those to register, especially with one-click FB login.

Unfortunately, it will also bring out spam bots and yesterday I deleted over 1,500 accounts that were created in the last 30 days. Luckily there was a recognizable pattern to them so I could write a script to do that but most don’t have that and as admins, we only have so much time to chase those down so you can assume that large percentage of the number on the stats page (maybe 10%? more?) are not actual people.

Of those newcomers that do upload - a very large percent do not understand the site and treat it like BandCamp or SoundCloud and simply upload their album (w/o stems) or simply some random CeeLo track from their library - so there’s a lot of banning of tracks/accounts that goes on behind the scenes.

Finally, new people who pass through all the hoops are not making up for the large number of people who have drifted away - most musicians seem to have a lifetime cycle that lasts somewhere between a month and a year - so while the number of overall registrations grow, the number of musicians who upload is not cumulative and stays more stable at any given time.

permalink   Geert Veneklaas Mon, Apr 4, 2016 @ 6:04 AM
Hi Victor,

Thanks for your detailed and clear answer.
Thumbs up for all the work you do for ccM!

permalink   Annon Tue, Oct 25, 2016 @ 5:10 PM
people have no idea if anyone is listening to or downloading their tracks. Its incredibly disheartening

permalink   Abstract Audio Sat, Nov 26, 2016 @ 4:41 PM
It would be interesting to see how much playes you have had. But I guess thats a lot of work to intergrate

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Dec 13, 2016 @ 8:53 AM
I agree. I want to know how many listens and downloads my tracks are receiving, so I’m guessing a lot of other mixters want this feature too!