Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » ccPlus problem

ccPlus problem

Martijn de Boer (NiGiD)
permalink   Sun, Jul 26, 2015 @ 10:36 AM
Hey,

I’m having a problem with ccPlus. Even if I don’t check the box, all my uploads (remixes) are still shown as ccPlus. Also, unchecking it later doesn’t work.

Best,
Martijn

Example:
http://ccmixter.org/files/N...
spinmeister
permalink   Sun, Jul 26, 2015 @ 2:50 PM
uh-oh — I’ve been looking to use the ccplus tag in an attempt to ensure CC+ compatible remixes.

I’ve also noticed that the ccplus tag seems to be attached to a lot of cczero, which seems counter-intuitive. i.e. why would anyone need to obtain a commercial license to CC0?

And the argument might be similar for the attribution tag, which lately also seem to have gotten a lot of ccplus tags. Why would anyone need to obtain a commercial license for CC-BY?

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 7:34 AM
Hey Spinmeister! The main reason a license for a CC-BY track would be purchased is so it can be used for commercial purposes without attribution (i.e. a tv commercial). And then sometimes creators and/or companies will want to buy the ccPlus license to feel more secure about the legality of the license or to donate $ to the artists (this also applies to CC0 tracks).

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 4:59 PM
Hi Kara! Thanks for your reply!

Interesting and good point about licensing to eliminate need to attribute for CC-BY and the concepts of tip jar and maybe copyright indemnity insurance (is that what you meant?) for CC-BY and CC0.

However, I think it’s counter-intuitive, because the current CCPlus button (which seems to be triggered by the ccplus tag(or is it not?) specifically only mentions “Click here to license this media for commercial use.” (emphasis added). And the TT landing page for the licensing link in the button doesn’t seem to mention the scenarios you mentioned for CC-BY and CC0 either.

p.s. In looking at this some more just now, I also encountered, what looks to me like another different scenario, possibly not handled quite right by the ccplus tagging logic. I’ll write a separate post for that.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 8:05 PM
Hi there! Yes, the ccPlus button is triggered by the tag. On the right side of the TT landing page, under the player, it reads: TuneTrack Licenses grant additional privileges beyond Creative Commons, including use of the work in a commercial setting, or without attribution.

ccPlus is still in beta, so all of this input is incredibly useful… Thank you!

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 11:33 PM
Thanks Kara! And thanks for pointing out the “without attribution clause” on the right hand side of the TT landing page — I had missed that sentence.

And I fully appreciate that it’s a large undertaking to figure out all of the different scenarios in the development of ccplus. I think it’s a great concept!
Kara Square
permalink   Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 7:27 AM
Thanks for letting us know! I’ll reach out to the admins who can help with this.
spinmeister
permalink   Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 5:35 PM
I may have bumped into another scenario where maybe the ccplus tagging logic isn’t doing the right thing.

The scenario is when the work that has been remixed disappeared from the site, and now the remix ends up not linked to any source.

For example, I’ve just noticed that all of the uploads from userid waysidedrive seem to have disappeared from view (deleted?) here at ccM.

One of my remixes used one of those pells “I will rise above the world” as its only source material.

Alex has a remix of that source pell as well.

So while Alex and I are opted into the CCPlus pool, the source pell or uploading artist for our two remixes don’t appear to be opted in, and there’s no evidence suggesting that the pell was under a permissive license like CC-BY or CC0 (to the best of my recollection, the pell was CC-BY-NC).

Maybe I’m missing something, but intuitively I’d think these kinds of remix scenarios maybe shouldn’t be tagged ccplus?

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 8:07 PM
Your logic makes sense to me. I’ll email the admins so this gets addressed. Thank you again!

permalink   victor Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 11:19 PM
If I’m understanding this scenario:

The upload you currently have up on the site has no sources in the system?

In that case the script we ran last month doesn’t know any better so it marked as cc+.

If you don’t have permission to cc+ the final track then just uncheck it in the Edit Properties form (which should work as of about 5 minutes ago).

VS

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 11:56 PM
Yes, it looks like the deletion of the sources also deleted any hint of the metadata, and thus this remix (and probably a few others) now looks entirely orphaned.

I was able to remove the ccplus tag as per your suggestion - thanks!

By the way, what’s your take on a scenario like this? — Should I remove my remix from ccM, since the history/evidence for CC licensing of the pell is now gone? And there are no further remixes of that upload, so no history consequences for other uploads.

permalink   victor Tue, Jul 28, 2015 @ 12:22 AM
The pell was CC when you used it and the remix is your music.

permalink   spinmeister Tue, Jul 28, 2015 @ 1:23 AM
ok thanks!
victor
permalink   Mon, Jul 27, 2015 @ 11:12 PM
This was my fault - a bug in the form - it should be fixed now.

Let me know if still doesn’t work.

VS

permalink   Martijn de Boer (NiGiD) Tue, Jul 28, 2015 @ 6:54 AM
I was able to remove the ccPlus now. Thank you Fourstones!

Best,
Martijn
rashmichaudhary
permalink   Fri, Aug 31, 2018 @ 1:55 AM
Thank you for this good post. really helpfull for me.