RSVP for Jul 28 Livestream
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Is your music being sold on iTunes!?

Is your music being sold on iTunes!?

Syenta
permalink   Thu, May 22, 2014 @ 3:01 PM
Hi all,

I have just being doing a quick search to see who is using my offerings just to find one track on iTunes. The album is called “Internet Soft Hits Still Water Angels Dream - Various Artists” and can be found here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/internet-soft-hits-still-water/id862710099

Is this permitted under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License? Within the licence it states - “Under the following terms :According to the NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.”

Can this be stopped by contacting iTunes directly? I would be interested in your feedback.

Regards

Syenta
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, May 22, 2014 @ 3:34 PM
Thanks for notifying us. This release definitely violates the terms of use and we will issue a take down notice. In the meantime, as one of the artists included on the album, it would be helpful for you to also contact iTunes and the folks who released the album.

On a related note, we are also working on ways to prevent and monitor this type of misuse of our content and hope to have something to announce soon. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
Syenta
permalink   Sat, May 24, 2014 @ 12:29 AM
I’ve had a further look into this and using the new ccMixter UI on GitHub - which is very nice by the way - I find that of the songs I have checked they are all licensed as “Free for Commercial Purposes”. So if this is the case then we may not have a leg to stand on. I didn’t want any of my offerings to be licensed this way and perhaps others feel the same. So to stop this happening again it would be useful if when uploading we are asked to check whether the license being used is correct or not.
Chandan Boruah
permalink   Thu, Jun 12, 2014 @ 8:35 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/heavy-metal/id879570501

someone is selling my music in itunes too