Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Hardware used?

Hardware used?

stellarartwars
permalink   Sat, Sep 8, 2012 @ 11:11 AM
I’d be interested to hear what hardware people use here.

I use a 1970s Studiomaster 16:8:2 desk, Rode NT1 mic , Behrenger Tube Composer compressor/preamp , DOD G7 multi-effects, EMU audio interface

Midi: Roland A30 master keyboard, Yamaha DX7 & SY85 synths , Yamaha TG55, Roland MDC-1 and JV1080 midi modules.

NAD 3020A monitor amp, KECO speakers, 2x Senheiser HD515 phones
Numeron
permalink   Sat, Sep 8, 2012 @ 5:16 PM
A 1974 Noggin!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Sep 11, 2012 @ 2:23 PM
For recording:

I use a computer (I alternate between Mac and Windows) with an M-Audio interface.

I also use a Fostex MR-8 portable digital recorder, and take the track files and mix them on computer.

I lay down keyboards on an M-Audio Keystudio, or on a Nanokey2, if I am lazy and lying in bed.

The guitars alternate between a 2006 Telecaster, an Epi Les Paul, a 1962 Fender Strat, or a Pink Paisley Strat.

Acoustic guitars are Ovations, my Mandolin is a Fender, and a Squier P-Bass works as my bass.

I record vocals with a few different mics, but I favour an SM-58.

As far as actual software for mixing, I usually use Reaper, Apple Garageband, or Audacity. I have Ableton but can’t figure out how to use it.
radiotimes
permalink   Tue, Sep 11, 2012 @ 6:08 PM
Despite what a lot of the pro’s say digital is still far better in sound quality. Yes it does have that edginess that can sound too clinical but that can be tempered.

To achieve the best balance between analogue and digital I use a combination that starts with digital and then goes through an analogue chain before sending to the final mastering.

I use Logic Pro for composing on Mac Pros connected to several raid set ups to hold samples and often go to the mastering process from here. I also use Pro Tools if I am tracking or mixing mainly sound files but this is done on a separate system. I reckon some of Logics plug ins are great but I augment these with various Wave plug ins particularly the L16 which is great for creating clear punchy mixes

For controlling and mixing in Logic I use a Yamaha O2R96VCM monitored through Yamaha and Genelec speakers. For monitoring after mastering down I use a pair of Mission speakers and a Yamaha sub woofer powered by an old Denon 200w amp.

For A/D conversion I have always used Motu 828’s. They are cheap and take the edge off that digital sound. I’ve tried Apogee but they are toooo good and far toooo expensive for what they offer.

Coming out of the Motu I then put the mix through Focusrite compression and into an old discontinued Alesis M-EQ 230. If you can get your hands on one of these EQ’s do so they are fantastic. The sound is great and for me as good as anything else I’ve tried at higher prices.

After the EQing I master down using an Alesis Masterlink. This is another great piece of kit and you find them in just about every recording studio.

Mic’s are mainly Rode’s and Senheisser.

Keyboards are a Yamaha upright piano and Korg trinity and triton synths.

Guitars are mainly Taylor for the acoustics and a Fender Strat Deluxe with Humbucker switchable pick ups. Ibanez Joe Satriani and a Gibson 335. For bass I use an Ibanez 5 string and a Yamaha 6 string.

I’ve got all sorts of beat up sax and clarinets I’ve managed to pick up on the way which fit with my old beat up way of playing! ( Thank God for Melodyne!!)

What I would say as someone who has worked in the music business for over 40 years (I started at 2 years old!!)it’s not really about the equipment. Sure you need something that sounds OK but you don’t have to have the most expensive stuff to get the best sounds. I’ve sat with many engineers who at the end of the day just used basic stuff and came up with incredible sounds.

One more tip to get a better sound is that you must take the stereo output out of the DAW and into something analogue preferably using low cost leads. It will make a difference!
panu
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2012 @ 5:09 AM
i think it’s a good idea to consider that how you use the hardware you have is as important as what you have to work with. i’ve heard tracks done in Audacity and Garage Band that blew the socks off tracks done in Pro Tools or cubase simply because the remixer was better at controlling track noise, distortion, and digital artifacts.
following a pattern of limiting, noise reduction, and compression before you EQ or tube boost the signal leads to better tracks because you avoid wasting time EQ’ing frequencies that won’t be present any more after you do the first three processes.

PC-cubase le-emu o4o4 usb interface-mAudio DMP3 preamp-Ferric TDS tube amp simulator-ElectriQ eq-MXL 990/991 mics-Sennheiser HD 203 headphones-Yamaha acoustic guitar-Telecaster w/ Don Mare pups

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Sep 12, 2012 @ 12:41 PM
As far as individual tracks go, I don’t use limiting. Kills the dynamics too much. You just want to hit the sweet spot of recording at -18db to -12db (max), so you don’t have to.

As far as noise reduction, that’s just something that’s more of an art than science.

The best thing you can do is stop the noise in the first place. Using a real amp or a Pod rather than a software amp modeller. Using noise reducing pickups (I have SCN noiseless in my Tele, reversed wound middle pickups in my Strats, and humbuckers in my Les Paul.)

On the keyboards, less romanticism means less noise. I have a real Leslie speaker. I never record it. What I can do with the VST Leslie is close enough, and lacks all the ambience problems recording a real Leslie brings. Rendering MIDI to piano as opposed to playing the real one… not as much “instant gratification” as playing a real piano, but better quieter sound.

With the noise there is, I prefer to use a limiter rather than a destructive reducer (like Audacity’s.) Putting the noise gate one step earlier in the processing chain than reverb and delay makes noise in a vocal or guitar close to inaudible. And you want to do that in a way that’s barely above 60 cycle hum/ambient noise so that voices and instruments fade out of the picture naturally, but removing the noise when they’re not in the picture.

Limiting and compression I try to leave to the Mastering stage, and avoid it on individual tracks at all costs. The less of it is in your mix, the more freedom you have to participate in the “loudness wars” without destroying your mix.

It is all more art than science. How do you get it all to sound out loud like it does in your head?

permalink   Abstract Audio Fri, Sep 14, 2012 @ 2:59 AM
And I on the other hand love all that noise you try to extract from your sound. Ok not allways offcourse, not in a beautifull piano arrangment but I use noise a lot to add some extra rythmic sound in the background. Back in the days when I produced indusrial hardcore I created a few tracks where the noise coming from a guitar amp in between the notes was my lead sound….
My most favourite instrument to use for this purpose is the voice. All those ‘useless’ cuffs in- or exhales are fantastic for that :)

permalink   panu Fri, Sep 14, 2012 @ 9:54 AM
good point. both approaches work well and which one to use depends a lot on the quality of the samples and how you want the final track to sound.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Fri, Sep 14, 2012 @ 3:06 AM
A PC with an M-Audio delta 44 soundcard.
Aux Classic speakers
A Korg MicroKontrol as midi keyboard/controler
Korg EMX as drumcomputer or 303
Roland JP-8080 For leads and noises (most of my SFX packs where created with that synth)
Lexicon MPX100 For delays and reverb (mostly in combo wit my 8080)

Altough I have to say I mostly use samples I took from the emx and 8080. They are booth unplugged at the moment.

I do also own a acces virus a and an roland ms2000 but I don’t use them
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   radiotimes Sat, Sep 15, 2012 @ 2:52 AM
For God’s sake man at least go out and buy a penny whistle!!

Seriously this goes to prove what I said above. You don’t need tons of eqpt to produce good music.
tigabeatz
permalink   Fri, Sep 14, 2012 @ 3:44 PM
hi,

taken from my profile here:

Besides FL Studio and multiple controllers like the blipbox, uc-33 and a midi keyboard I use v-drums, a massive ammount of percussion instruments like udu, framedrum, cajon, some guitars (electric and acoustic, but I can´t play them:) ), an electric bass (borrowed),a used organ (no, i cant realy play that too, but the sounds are good), and even more different cymbals as well as an drumset from the 1960ies.

For recording and mixing, I use my small “office” (the room where the ironing board lives) with small acoustic treatments and a collection of microphones from rode, se, superlux, shure and t-bone run through an RME multiface with behringer, art and dbx equipment.

Most times, I listen through my akg k240 headphones or the esi near speakers.

yours
tigabeatz
sindee
permalink   Fri, Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:43 AM
Hardware is very important to discuss because this will be the central material we will used in our study. what people know about sildenafil, I like to know more about hardware and also the process.