Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » What Monitors Do You Use?

What Monitors Do You Use?

Blake
permalink   Fri, Aug 26, 2011 @ 11:34 AM
So I’m looking for new monitors. When I upgraded from computer speakers to monitors, I made a terrible choice in investing in used speakers. On eBay, even though they were only $100 for a pair of M-Audio BX5a’s and guaranteed to work, I can tell that they aren’t how they were when they were out of the box new. In addition, the left one had a small hole in the rim of the cone and over time it has grown exponentially larger so now that have of the rubber on the outside of the cone is detached. The right one was also missing foam on the bottom of it… Supposedly these speakers had some of the best high frequency response. After listening to some of my songs in a car with a Bose Stereo system, the high were too screechy and the mids were absent.

Basically, I’m looking for recommendations on what would be best for producing the music that I make. Would I need a pair of 8 inch speakers with a sub? Or would the speakers be enough? In all honesty, in order to judge the amount of bass in my songs I have to touch the speaker to see how much it is shaking to feel the bass, simply because I can’t hear it.

I’ll be waiting for some replies,
Thanks!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Blake Tue, Aug 30, 2011 @ 6:47 AM
Yea I heard that headphones were better for mixing especially when you don’t have a good room for loud sound. I’ll check the book out, and btw what headphones do you use?

permalink   vo1k1 Fri, Oct 28, 2011 @ 6:46 PM
There is some nice software and hardware accessories out there for headphones as well, studio monitor and room simulations. Can help with the super stereo effect of monitoring dual mono on headphones.
septahelix
permalink   Sat, Oct 29, 2011 @ 11:44 AM
headphones do work great. usually, the bass, both sub and regular, are too loud in the mix when i don’t use headphones. a sub would help i think, if only to get a good estimation of what it’ll sound like. again, usually too loud, but you’ll also see if other bass sounds or muddiness are there that you don’t want.
Painfulcompanion
permalink   Fri, Nov 25, 2011 @ 8:57 PM
Yamaha HS50M and a KRK 10S as a subwoofer.
But i’m not satified with it. I’d recommend a pair of 8” Speakers like Ya… HS80M or KRK RP8 or RP10…..in that case…you wouldnt need a subwoofer !!!

permalink   Blake Fri, Nov 25, 2011 @ 8:59 PM
I’m actually going to jump on a holiday deal on the M-Audio bx8a’s. I’ve read mixed reviews, some good, some bad. I just don’t have much money and for $250 for the pair, I can’t let the deal go.

permalink   Painfulcompanion Fri, Nov 25, 2011 @ 9:45 PM
Quote: CovertI’m actually going to jump on a holiday deal on the M-Audio bx8a’s. I’ve read mixed reviews, some good, some bad. I just don’t have much money and for $250 for the pair, I can’t let the deal go.

It’s ok…bout da money..but keep in mind..”buy cheap…you may buy twice !!” ;-)
zerointeractive
permalink   Sat, Nov 26, 2011 @ 2:07 PM
I have made the wrongest choice of my life buying a pair of Behringer MS40… so stay away from them!

I have tried KRK Rokit and their sound was great after more than 1 year of banging hard sounds!

IMHO, you should never use a sub in a studio to equalize your music as it pump them too much.

permalink   Painfulcompanion Mon, Dec 5, 2011 @ 5:40 PM
Quote: zerointeractiveI have made the wrongest choice of my life buying a pair of Behringer MS40… so stay away from them!

I have tried KRK Rokit and their sound was great after more than 1 year of banging hard sounds!

THAT’s exactly what i’m tryin to say…..
Buy cheap…buy twice” !!!

permalink   Blake Mon, Dec 5, 2011 @ 5:41 PM
Yeah, I think my grandparents are purchasing Yamaha hs80m’s for the holidays for me. Should I get any warnings about that before they do?

permalink   Painfulcompanion Mon, Dec 5, 2011 @ 5:53 PM
Quote: CovertYeah, I think my grandparents are purchasing Yamaha hs80m’s for the holidays for me. Should I get any warnings about that before they do?
Great choice !!!
BUT…you have to “LISTEN” to it…
Listen for some great recorded CD’s you’d like to hear at home !!
This ‘ll help you adjusting these “sweeties” ;-) Cause they’ve a few adjustments……..

The 80’s is always a good choice like the KRK’s…..
For me…the Yamaha sounds a lil bit more “raw” somehow original…
The KRK’s are a lil bit more coloured…..but it’s subjective… IYKWIM ;-)

But as i say…this one is a really good choice!!!

permalink   Blake Mon, Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:09 PM
I don’t think they carry them in the Sam ash or guitar center near me… And if they did, last time I went to listen to monitors none of em were plugged in. I guess its up to you and YouTube reviews to listen for me :)

permalink   Painfulcompanion Mon, Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:14 PM
Quote: CovertI don’t think they carry them in the Sam ash or guitar center near me… And if they did, last time I went to listen to monitors none of em were plugged in. I guess its up to you and YouTube reviews to listen for me :)

Get ‘em !!! ;-)