Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » If you find someone infringing on your CC license

If you find someone infringing on your CC license

Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Jul 19, 2011 @ 5:53 AM
CCMixter is all about freedom to share. However, the extent of those freedoms has always been up to you. You are free to choose: whether your music can be freely used in commercial or non-commercial settings.

Anyone who uses your music in a way that goes beyond the CC license has infringed your copyright. In some cases, it is an honest mistake. Increasingly, we are finding instances where it is not.

Because Creative Commons licenses are not just compatible with copyright, but depend on them, US copyright law gives you tools to easily notify someone who is infringing on your rights, and you do not need to be an American to take advantage of that, if the infringer is American.

Now bearing in mind that I am not a lawyer, US law permits you, the copyright holder, to issue what is called a DMCA Claim. Basically, this is a signed letter where you identify the song that infringes your rights, and ask them to take it down. An electronic signature is valid, but Google services generally require a physical signature – so be sure to scan your signature and use that (or take a picture of it with your iPhone and crop it in Photoshop.) You will want to send the notice not only to the infringing site, but if they’re being hosted on or are using some form of communal hosting (like Blogger, Youtube, or Wordpress), send them a copy as well.

Your note could go something like the following.

SUBJECT: NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing you concerning copyrighted materials posted at (specific location), titled (title.) I am the author and copyright holder to this work. You can find the original audio recording at the URL below:

http://ccmixter.org/content...

In good faith, I believe that this material has been uploaded to this site in violation of my copyrights, in that I have not authorized the use of the material in the manner it is being used. I warrant, under penalty of perjury, that I am the original artist that created this work, and that I am authorized to represent the rights to this work.

If you require any further information regarding this matter, please contact me at the address, phone number, and/or email address below:

[include your full contact information]

Thank you
[signature]

For more info:

http://www.plagiarismtoday....
http://www.blogherald.com/2...
Kara Square
permalink   Tue, Jul 19, 2011 @ 8:03 AM
Thanks for sharing this useful information.
Steven M Bryant
permalink   Sun, Jul 8, 2012 @ 5:50 AM
I have a song on Mixter called Slow Motion dream. I used samples from Csouls ’ Somebody Help Me ” I always use the attribution. I think I may have found someone using samples from either my version or Csouls and not giving any credit to either of us or CC mixter..Definitely not using the attribution…I found this on one of the sites I am on…Here is the link to this Artists page and it is the second Song. The bpm has been speeded up and I may be wrong but I dont think so… http://www.liquidaudio.org/... Please let me know

permalink   opus_opium Wed, Aug 22, 2012 @ 6:25 PM
the profile is hidden now, no song up, and rem that dig ccmixter only credits the log in name. I wonder if anyone here has made any money at ccmixter atleast to pay for the electric bill and how ccmixter pays the bandwidth blows my mind. Great your watching out for your Colaborators also you a Veteran?. Thanks
opus_opium
permalink   Mon, Aug 20, 2012 @ 1:57 PM
Thanks for the information, i had to change my account on the fact that dig ccmixter uses the log in name and does not credit the colaborators, it does not go the artists site on Cmixter. Creative Commons retired the sampling plus lisc when people choose a lisc it carries forward rem that. Thanks
*** Topic deleted by author ***